Would the late great manny steward have fury fighting the same way as his nephew did?

For some reason I can't imagine it. I know sugar hill learnt everything from manny but I sort of have a feeling manny would've been making him fight more cautiously.

What are your thoughts?

Roe

Stuff member
Staff member
Country Flag
Italy
It's hard to say really isn't it but yeah I know what you mean it is hard to imagine it after so many years with Wlad.

I guess it all depends on what took the inspiration for Fury's aggressiveness in this fight. It could've been that after the first fight it was Fury himself who wanted to be more on the attack.

I feel like this might've been something of a one off anyway.

Bogotazo

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe not, but I don't think it's impossible. He was risk averse with Wlad because he knew Wlad's temperment and vulnerabilities as a fighter. One example, for the Cotto-Margarito rematch, Steward kept commenting that had he continued to train Cotto, he would have had him fight Margarito up close and push him back. In the few rounds Cotto was on the inside walking Margarito back in the clinch, Steward was saying "right there, I'd have him fight the whole fight right there." There's a different dynamic with Tyson, who would press at distance, but the idea of coming at a dangerous fighter to neutralize their advantage wouldn't be lost on Steward at all.

Lunny

Former OTH PL Cup Winner
Staff member
Country Flag
United Kingdom
I reckon there's a good chance Steward would have gone with that plan. At times with Wlad he was screaming at him between rounds to KO his opponent as Wlad stayed behind the jab. The Chambers fight comes to mind.

I reckon there's a good chance Steward would have gone with that plan. At times with Wlad he was screaming at him between rounds to KO his opponent as Wlad stayed behind the jab. The Chambers fight comes to mind.
Thanks for reminding me of these

This.

Wlad didn't really typify what steward wanted in a fighter, but he was excellent regardless.

I'd consider lennox to be what steward considered to be the perfect beast.

I'm not sure how Manny would have had him fight but I don't think it was a million miles off.