Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leclerc

• Bottas

• Other (please state)

• Total voters
Not sure if anyone else is into F1 but I thought with the new season coming up it might be worth starting a thread, if it dies off embarrassingly I'll just edit the fuck outta it TSOL style (just playing, I think you're a funny fucker and wouldn't want you to change).

Do any of you guys have a favourite team or driver? I'm a McLaren fan and want to see Williams do well too, am massively excited to see how well Lando Norris does and curious to see what Kubica does after all he's been through. Have to respect what Lewis has done in his career, didn't have the fastest car throughout the year last year but he got the most out of his car even though he did get a little help from Bottas.

Impossible to tell from the first week of testing but lets get our predictions in early.

I'm picking Vettel to win the drivers championship. After last year he must be kicking himself due to all the mistakes he made and the upgrades that Ferrari made that were more like downgrades. Don't think he'll make as many mistakes and think Leclerc will take more points off Lewis than Kimi did last year.

Picking Ferrari to win the constructors as Vettel and Leclerc look a strong and exciting partnership, the car looked impressive in testing too with many experts predicting a big year for them.

Gonna pick Norris to be rookie of the year. Although Russell won F2 last year he had the best car too, Norris is more naturally talented imo but its gonna be exciting to see how it plays out.

I made the F1 thread on CHB, we had a fantasy league going. May as well bring it here since that place can go fuck itself.

https://fantasygp.com/

Free sign up, pretty straightforward. Here's the code;

Yeah I also predict Vettel for the title this year. They had marginally the fastest car last year and testing looks even better for them, combined with Leclerc's inexperience and touted number 2 status by the Ferrari higher ups before even the season starts...well looks like a 5th title for the German.

I even think it won't be Lewis as his main rival. The Red Bull is looking strong, and Max is the 2nd best driver on the grid (and the future GOAT). Plus Red Bull are being remarkably confident and their long run pace is looking very strong. Still just testing but you can gleam some info out of it.

Country Flag
Northern Ireland
Danny Ric fan checking in. Was a bit bemused by his move to Renault as I think it’s a backwards step. Only real thing I could think of is if Lewis packs it in soon maybe Merc could buy him out of a Renault contract easier than a Red Bull one. That, plus his relationship with Max was turning sour.

Also really like Leclerc. Was buzzing to see him get a move to Ferrari so soon and I hope he can throw a cat amongst the pigeons this season, although I wouldn’t expect a title challenge so soon. Hopefully Ferrari can give him more of a fair shake than they did Kimi in the past few years.

Not really sure what to think about the championship this year. Will Arrivabene’s departure be good or bad for Ferrari? Not really clued up on that. I do think Mercedes have been hiding their true pace in testing, running heavy fuel loads and running the harder compounds of tyre.

Can’t believe it’s only a few weeks away already, looking forward to it.

Danny Ric fan checking in. Was a bit bemused by his move to Renault as I think it’s a backwards step. Only real thing I could think of is if Lewis packs it in soon maybe Merc could buy him out of a Renault contract easier than a Red Bull one. That, plus his relationship with Max was turning sour.

Also really like Leclerc. Was buzzing to see him get a move to Ferrari so soon and I hope he can throw a cat amongst the pigeons this season, although I wouldn’t expect a title challenge so soon. Hopefully Ferrari can give him more of a fair shake than they did Kimi in the past few years.

Not really sure what to think about the championship this year. Will Arrivabene’s departure be good or bad for Ferrari? Not really clued up on that. I do think Mercedes have been hiding their true pace in testing, running heavy fuel loads and running the harder compounds of tyre.

Can’t believe it’s only a few weeks away already, looking forward to it.
It's been suggested Arrivabene's departure has made the place a bit happier and open, less gloomy. Think he annoyed some at Ferrari, plus he clashed with the new head Binotto. Though whether Binotto can run both the team and the technical aspect of the car...well it's a difficult task, should be fine though.

Would love to see Danny Ric go to Merc, or better yet Renault become more competitive. May have to wait till 2021 reg changes.

Not really watched much F1 in recent seasons. I was always a huge fan and followed it religiously. I like Hamilton, not got a specific team anymore but I'll support anyone who has Brit drivers.

Not really watched much F1 in recent seasons. I was always a huge fan and followed it religiously. I like Hamilton, not got a specific team anymore but I'll support anyone who has Brit drivers.
Merc, Williams and McLaren this year have Brit drivers. Out of those three I suggest you support Mercedes, since the other two are about as fast as an ice cream van.

Danny Ric fan.

Don't follow as closely as I used to but still have some interest.

I've made a gentleman's bet with a friend that Leclerc will out point Vettwl this year.

Mercedes and Lewis will be the men to beat once Q1 starts in Aus. As a team they just seem constantly on the right path.

Country Flag
Northern Ireland
It's been suggested Arrivabene's departure has made the place a bit happier and open, less gloomy. Think he annoyed some at Ferrari, plus he clashed with the new head Binotto. Though whether Binotto can run both the team and the technical aspect of the car...well it's a difficult task, should be fine though.

Would love to see Danny Ric go to Merc, or better yet Renault become more competitive. May have to wait till 2021 reg changes.
Ferrari may hope the change of power means a change of fortunes and decision making when it comes to strategy. Some awful calls last year really did not help their push for the constructors’ title or Vettel’s title challenge (although he threw it away as much as the strategists did).

It’s hard to see anyone else breaking into the top tier. I reckon “Formula 1.5” will continue until 2021 at least.

I made the F1 thread on CHB, we had a fantasy league going. May as well bring it here since that place can go fuck itself.

https://fantasygp.com/

Free sign up, pretty straightforward. Here's the code;

Yeah I also predict Vettel for the title this year. They had marginally the fastest car last year and testing looks even better for them, combined with Leclerc's inexperience and touted number 2 status by the Ferrari higher ups before even the season starts...well looks like a 5th title for the German.

I even think it won't be Lewis as his main rival. The Red Bull is looking strong, and Max is the 2nd best driver on the grid (and the future GOAT). Plus Red Bull are being remarkably confident and their long run pace is looking very strong. Still just testing but you can gleam some info out of it.
Woah we got urukusakikehkiike on OTH baby!!

Ferrari may hope the change of power means a change of fortunes and decision making when it comes to strategy. Some awful calls last year really did not help their push for the constructors’ title or Vettel’s title challenge (although he threw it away as much as the strategists did).

It’s hard to see anyone else breaking into the top tier. I reckon “Formula 1.5” will continue until 2021 at least.
Yeah, I think I heard one of their strategists Jock Clear has changed positions, whether as a result of last year's blunders I don't know. I'll look it up.

Preliminary calculations from testing put Renault around 0.8 behind Mercedes, who themselves are around 0.4 behind Ferrari. Obviously will be different come Melbourne but signs seem to suggest Formula 1.5 may be slightly closer this year. Formula 1.4 maybe.

Danny Ric fan.

Don't follow as closely as I used to but still have some interest.

I've made a gentleman's bet with a friend that Leclerc will out point Vettwl this year.

Mercedes and Lewis will be the men to beat once Q1 starts in Aus. As a team they just seem constantly on the right path.
True Merc always seem to be right on it but reports are saying they may have gone the wrong development path on their front wing this year, along with Red Bull, and it's not something they can fix in weeks, more like months Toto Wolffman says. The idea is that Ferrari and Alpha Romeo have produced front wings which generate greater outwash, which pushes more air around the outside of the front tyres, causing less disturbance.

Mercedes have a wing that may generate more downforce atm but is causing a bit of an imbalance. They themselves said they didn't go down Ferrari's route as they couldn't claw back the loss of downforce that type of front wing would produce, and were surprised that Ferrari have managed to mitigate this.

Ferrari have also managed to produce a clever trick with their rear suspension which allows them the benefits of a low rake car on the straights and a high rake car in the corners, best of both worlds. It's something Red Bull have had since last year, but done in a more pronounced manner. Mercedes' low rake philosophy means they cannot reproduce this.

But you are right in that we need to wait until Q1/3 Australia, once everyone shows their true hand.

Mercedes have turned up with an abundance of aero upgrades today; the nose, front wing, floor, side pods, t-wing, plus a few others.

There is some debate as to the veracity of Lewis' best sector 3 today. Most are saying he cut the chicane but it's not official. If he didn't then it is a very fast time.

Reactions: ASL
So McLaren with another great time today, top of the tables. Must be happy @Gareth . At the very least, they are looking better than last year.
Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy. I'm finding it so so difficult not to get excited, Norris' time this morning is so bloody impressive I'm loving it. There's no way McLaren will be close to the big 3 but if they can be best of the rest it'd be a great improvement, as you know.

I'm finding myself dreaming of a podium finish this season, not by merit but with a lot of luck.

Just as I write all this Toro Rosso go fastest, shit.