Should Wilfred Benitez Be Thought Of As A Member Of The "Fab 4" Making It A "Fab 5"?

Shadowboxer

Former Prediction League Champion
As boxing fans, no matter our ages, I am sure we are all familiar with that time in the 80's when the "Fab 4" of Leonard, Duran, Hearns and Hagler were at the top of the world and their clashes were highly anticipated events, delivering some of the great moments in the sports history.

A fighter I have always felt that should have been included alongside them all is Wilfred Benitez.

He is obviously highly regarded and thought of as an ATG but for some reason isn't always included alongside the other "four kings".

He had great fights with Leonard, Hearns and beat Duran, obviously he is missing a bout with Hagler from his resume, but I have always thought he could/should be regarded amongst these four greats.

What do you think?

Does he rank as their equal? Should it be "five kings"?

If so, why? If not, why not?

How does he rank alongside these four ATG's?

Let's take a while to discuss El Radar.

Roe

Stuff member
Staff member
Country Flag
Italy
Probably could be yeah. Just goes to show what a great era it was. I wasn't around at the time but I guess he just wasn't as big a draw as the other guys for whatever reason.

Might watch one of his fights later actually as I've been meaning to try and watch more old fights recently

Shadowboxer

Former Prediction League Champion
Probably could be yeah. Just goes to show what a great era it was. I wasn't around at the time but I guess he just wasn't as big a draw as the other guys for whatever reason.

Might watch one of his fights later actually as I've been meaning to try and watch more old fights recently
Cervantes/Curry x2/Duran/Leonard/Hearns/Hope/Palomino

any worth a watch mate.

Bogotazo

Administrator
Staff member
4 Kings, and one Prince.

I think he should always be involved in the conversation of the era, but the lone win over Duran and losses to Leonard and Hearns are his only entry. He had a great career apart from them, but I dont think he reached the heights of the others. Plus, just talking thematically, he never fought Hagler, which breaks an otherwise complete circle.

Reactions: Roe

Lunny

Former OTH PL Cup Winner
Staff member
Country Flag
United Kingdom
Never fought Hagler and his fab 4ing was over by 1982 while the era spanned the 80s (though mostly the middle bit...).

Also there's only 4 Kings in a pack so it would be weird.

DBerry

Complete and utter prick
Country Flag
Australia
Wasnt the original fab 4 designated as Leonard, Duran, Hearns and Benitez?
This is what I thought, I thought “The Fab Four” originating when these four were all welters/junior middleweights. I get Benitez getting swapped out for Haggler making the middleweight “Fab Four” but I always thought Benitez was one of the original ones.

Wansen

Unapologist Ufologist
Country Flag
Hawaii
Definitely.

An awesome talent in his day who (IIRC) was the youngest world champion ever.
Mismanaged and robbed by his father who had serious gambling problems which constantly sapped his focus and motivation.

A tragic figure towards the end of his career, he was destitute, homeless and forced to continue fighting long after his skills had gone.