Sergey Kovalev vs Sullivan Barrera April 25th at a catch weight of 180lbs

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
Good solid level of fight for Sergey to build up to his next loss at the top level.

This should stand him in good stead to eventually make that Beterbiev fight we all wanted to see

And get obliterated in doing so

Kurushi

The King
Country Flag
United Kingdom
I’m genuinely shocked they haven’t already fought each other. Just seems like something that should have happened already.
:lol: This was my reaction too at first. I was like, haven't they already fought?

Country Flag
Cuba
Its a decent enough fight at thisbstage but I kinda cant find much excitement for it, Kovalev has dropped a level and whilst still good hes no longer an elite fighter. Barrera was always a solid fring level fighter/contender.

I guess in terms of a come back fight its not a bad one for kovalev, he could easily have gotten away with a worse opponent at this stage, just dont see a lot of upside for either guy going forward.

Thibk best that happens for the winner is they become fodder for Beterbiev, Bivol, Gvozdyk, Ramirez.

Jack Ledger

OTH Poker Champion
Country Flag
Ireland
Barrera been out for a while and is a decent size so presumably the catch weight is for him and Kovalev has went with it because he has been on the sauce since Canelo wiped him out.

Might be alright but I would expect a low punching volume.

Kurushi

The King
Country Flag
United Kingdom
Reminds me a little bit of the idea of Ortiz vs Ruiz at HW. A good and hopefully competitive fight that while not being particularly significant for the division overall at least should firm up the mid to lower half of the top 10 a bit. That said, if it's at 180 then I'm not sure it'd be ranked divisonally and I've just checked the Ring magazine's ratings and Barerra isn't even in the top 10 which is weird because they've got Smith Jr (who he beat) and Boesel who doesn't even have a world level win does he? So not sure why Sullivan's not getting any top 10 love from the Ring.

DBerry

Complete and utter prick
Country Flag
Australia
Its a decent enough fight at thisbstage but I kinda cant find much excitement for it, Kovalev has dropped a level and whilst still good hes no longer an elite fighter. Barrera was always a solid fring level fighter/contender.

I guess in terms of a come back fight its not a bad one for kovalev, he could easily have gotten away with a worse opponent at this stage, just dont see a lot of upside for either guy going forward.

Thibk best that happens for the winner is they become fodder for Beterbiev, Bivol, Gvozdyk, Ramirez.
I’d have Barrera as favourite here, I’ve always thought Kov was slightly overrated (now before everyone piles in, there’s no doubting Kov’s boxing ability and power, that’s elite, but his ability to take it was shown up when Capperello dropped him), and one of his attributes was always his intimidation factor. That is now gone and he’s not quite the fighter he once was, being an alcoholic has never benefited any boxer I’m aware of and he’s going to be fighting a bigger fighter who has a very similar resume to him.