Rematches where a guy was robbed in the 1st fight but lost badly in the 2nd

Kurushi

The King
Country Flag
United Kingdom
Just curious about this scenario as it must feel absolutely horrible to have been robbed and then get stopped or dominated in the rematch with so many people thinking you were going to get revenge over a bad decision. Gonzalez and SSR springs to mind, I think most people saw the first fight as quite controversial and then obviously he was stopped in the rematch. It can also have a negative effect on how people recall those first encounters with people often overlooking the controversies in those first meetings if the rematch was conclusive. Any other examples?

John McDermott got cheated out of a decision in his first fight with Tyson Fury. Apparently the ref had been beaten
by Big John’s dad many years previously, and bore a grudge...

Anyway the rematch took place in a baking hot York Hall, and both fighters were seriously struggling. I remember at one point, Fury came back to his corner looking shattered and said something like “I can’t carry on”. Peter ignored him and sent him out, and Fury got he stoppage win.

John McDermott got cheated out of a decision in his first fight with Tyson Fury. Apparently the ref had been beaten
by Big John’s dad many years previously, and bore a grudge...

Anyway the rematch took place in a baking hot York Hall, and both fighters were seriously struggling. I remember at one point, Fury came back to his corner looking shattered and said something like “I can’t carry on”. Peter ignored him and sent him out, and Fury got he stoppage win.
The rematch wasn't in York Hall. It was in the Brentwood Leisure Centre, same as the first one.

Bogotazo

Administrator
Staff member
The first two fights of the Morales-MAB trilogy were the incorrect decision. Though the fights were competitive enough that I don't think you'd say either lost "badly".

The rematch wasn't in York Hall. It was in the Brentwood Leisure Centre, same as the first one.
I think it was a very hot year, and I remember a few venues that were affected by the heat, the York Hall being one of them, along with the Brentwood Leisure Centre.

Please forgive me, it was 35 years ago, and my memory isn’t what it once was

I think it was a very hot year, and I remember a few venues that were affected by the heat, the York Hall being one of them, along with the Brentwood Leisure Centre.

Please forgive me, it was 35 years ago, and my memory isn’t what it once was
York hall is always raging hot in the summer.

I remember a Lenny Daws fight (Stevie Williams?) where it was intolerable for the boxers.

Blunt

Formerly Sharp
Groves-Froch sort of fits the bill.
Nah, froch was gonna get a stoppage there I reckon. It was early, no doubt about it, but groves had started shipping a few big shots from what I recall and was looking tired after throwing the kitchen sink at froch for the first 6. I wouldn't say the first was a robbery but it was a premature stoppage which ultimately led to a rematch for groves that he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Blunt

Formerly Sharp
Kovalev was robbed in the 2nd Ward fight as well. "Don't @ me" or whatever the kids say these days.
Ive certainly always felt kov won the first and was stopped by several low blows. Terrible calls imo and max kellermans interview after the second was infuriating, just ignoring the low shots and saying it looked on the belt. He certainly knows where to place his loyalty is all I'll say.

Kurushi

The King
Country Flag
United Kingdom
Must be tough because the first fight in these sorts of fights should have been a win and the guy should have been able to move on without any need for a rematch. To go from what is basically 1 win to 2 losses (1 via corruption/incompetence and then 1 via proper loss when you shouldn't even have been there in the first place) is a brutal career derailment.