Official OTH top 10 Heavyweight Rankings thread (Greatest and Head to Head)

Tunney situation somewhat similar (not really) to if Holyfield stepped up, beat Tyson twice early 90s, then retired.
It isn't. Holyfield had 3 bouts with Bowe, beat Holmes, Foreman, Mercer, Moorer and several others at heavy.

He had a 56 fight career and only 18 of those bouts were at Cruiserweight.

Edit: I misread your post and thought you were saying it was comparable not that it would have been had Holyfield had a different career.

Last edited:
Greatest:

1. Muhammad Ali

Exceptional resume, deep(est) list of contenders beaten plus wins over multiple top 10 atgs who were in or very close to prime. Inarguably no.1 IMO. The Greatest of All Times.

2. Joe Louis

Longevity stands out more than the names, but there are some immensely talented fighters on his ledger, particularly at the beginning and end of his reign. Maybe the most complete dominance of any champ in any division, but not got the top level names of Ali to touch the greatest.

3. Lennox Lewis

Long list of contenders from a very deep era. Couple of blips aside, extremely dominant in a strong era. Not got the depth of Louis or the heights of Ali to get above them, but still, well worthy of top 3.

4. George Foreman

Not much depth in there when you look closely compared to 3 above, but the peaks are pretty astonishing, taking just a few rounds to demolish Frazier and Norton, plus beating Moorer at that point in his career is pretty special.

5. Evander Holyfield

Unsurpringly my top 5 all come from what I and most consider the standout eras in HW history. Holyfield fought almost everyone, has wins over H2H beasts in Bowe and Tyson, and also surprisingly good performances vs Lewis when past prime which were overshadowed by the horrible scorecards.

6. Larry Holmes

Great longevity, with wins over some talented fighters like Norton, Shavers and a late career win over Mercer.

7. Joe Frazier

Short prime makes his list of wins pretty short, but it’s a hell of a list. Maybe the greatest win in HW history over Ali. Dispatched quite a few contenders in dominant fashion too.

8. Mike Tyson

Complete dominance in something of a wasted era featuring talented fighters that lacked dedication or were just completely dissolutioned with the sport (s/o Don King). Still a crazy run he went on. Late 80’s he was an absolute monster, and continued to add a few names to his res in the 90’s. Tough to reconsile having Holmes 2 places higher when they actually beat a lot of the same guys and Tyson beat him and the guy who dethroned him in just a few rounds. Might need a rethink tbf.

9. Wladimir Klitschko

In a really poor era, he did what he had to do. Any time a challenger emerged, Povetkin, Haye, Pulev he fought them and beat them. Era marred by inactivity and lack of dedication by his opponents means his resume is difficult to judge other than he to say he did what he should have done and dominated it completely.

10. Jack Johnson

I think a little unfairly overlooked due to being overrated in the past. Beat a who’s who of his era, including the black fighters who he dodged once he won the title. I think he did more than guys who have just missed this list like Marciano, Liston and Dempsey although they could all be in with a shout.
Ali - greatest of all time :bleurgh too much cunt for that crown

Thinking about my H2H list, having Fury on there but not Bowe is weird. Probably me underrating due to feeling that others overrated him.

My argument is that he doesn’t have a deep enough resume, but he has wins over my number 5 H2H all time. While Fury only has 2 top opponents, neither of which feature at all, though versions of Wlad could.

Needs some work.

frankos1885

OTH Rankings Chairman
Country Flag
England
Ain't really had time to come back to this. More lists would be great.

Just reading the December 2021 RING issue (still don't get how the months work, it was the Duran vs Whittaker issue that's been in shops). They have listed the following:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Larry Holmes
4. Lennox Lewis
5. Jack Johnson

A Notch Below: George Foreman, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano, Evander Holyfield

They weren't really clear on their criteria but mention 'the best' a few times.

Bogotazo

Administrator
Staff member
Country Flag
Palestine
Ain't really had time to come back to this. More lists would be great.

Just reading the December 2021 RING issue (still don't get how the months work, it was the Duran vs Whittaker issue that's been in shops). They have listed the following:

They weren't really clear on their criteria but mention 'the best' a few times.
Good bump.