Who wins and how?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lunny

Former OTH PL Cup Winner
Staff member
Country Flag
United Kingdom
Less than 2 weeks to go, anyone picking the upset?

Roe

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Country Flag
Italy
I've been saying for years that AJ loses to Povetkin if it ever happens tbg. Now we're close I feel like an idiot but sometimes you gotta stick to your guns I guess.

I definitely think he's got way more of a chance than anyone AJ's fought other than Wlad though.

Country Flag
England
Whilst I agree that Povetkin is probably the toughest fight out there barring Wilder, this version didn’t look great against Price. Yea, it’s a different occasion, higher motivation and something to gain, but he’s pushing 40 now. If AJ is careful, patient and uses his range well then he should win this later on in the fight.

Povetkin is dangerous, seasoned and has great pedigree but it depends how much he has left, how his defence is and probably how many PED’s he’s managed to slip under the radar.

Looked sluggish in his last 3 bouts.

He could take some real punishment getting onto the inside.I expect Josh to tee off on him.

Blunt

Formerly Sharp
I expect Joshua to try to keep it at range and use the tactics of leaning and holding the shorter man inside and getting away with it. Followed by a British stoppage, whilst winning on the cards anyway which will go down fine with the commentary of course.

Straight punching from AJ wins this handily.
Povetkin can be hurt.
If AJ can stick to a game plan of jabbing from range, straight right hand at mid range and holding and leaning up close, it will be straight forward.
I've often wondered how he would cope if someone just absolutely attacked him like a maniac from the opening bell. You know, really stuck it on him.
I think you'd either knock him out, or get knocked out/stopped yourself.
That has to be a better tactic than hoping he gets tired by the later rounds.

Lunny

Former OTH PL Cup Winner
Staff member
Country Flag
United Kingdom
I expect Joshua to try to keep it at range and use the tactics of leaning and holding the shorter man inside and getting away with it. Followed by a British stoppage, whilst winning on the cards anyway which will go down fine with the commentary of course.
Straight punching from AJ wins this handily.
Povetkin can be hurt.
If AJ can stick to a game plan of jabbing from range, straight right hand at mid range and holding and leaning up close, it will be straight forward.
I've often wondered how he would cope if someone just absolutely attacked him like a maniac from the opening bell. You know, really stuck it on him.
I think you'd either knock him out, or get knocked out/stopped yourself.
That has to be a better tactic than hoping he gets tired by the later rounds.
Similar approach to what Wlad did then, particularly with the holding and leaning. I'm still in awe of Wlad going in for a clinch after the bell in that fight.

I’m all for doing whatever it takes to get the win, but Wlad’s performance against Povetkin absolutely sickened me to the core. He ruined the division for a decade to the point where I built David fucking Haye up in my mind as the Lord and saviour of heavyweight boxing.

Fuck me.

I think Joshua is gonna have similar problems in this fight as he did in the Takam fight. Not that he didnt win that one handily, but he looked a bit frustrated at times unable to get off the shots he wanted on the shorter man, and taking a few surprise shots at times as well.

Povetkin isnt as good as was in the Meldonium Monster days, but I dont think he is that much worse than the fighter we saw up to and including the Wlad fight. That fighter was a decent solid contender for a long time with some good wins, he just didnt have the X-factor that PEDvetkin had. His skillset is going to give Joshua some trouble in my humble. He is really good at his mid range, moves well in and around the pocket and goes to body and head well. His weaknesses are outside and inside fighting, he is too short on the outside and too inactive on the inside. Wlad decided he was going to take that Mid range from him at all costs, at the expense of any entertainment value for the fans, I hope Joshua doesnt do the same. He could do with a big and exciting performance after the last few, and you dont get that without taking some risks.

Similar approach to what Wlad did then, particularly with the holding and leaning. I'm still in awe of Wlad going in for a clinch after the bell in that fight.
One of my favourite Wlad moves in the later years of his career was the right hand feint into the clinch. Sometimes he wouldn't even bother feigning aggression and just lean in for the hug when his opponent got to close - what a tender, caring man he is.

I think Joshua is gonna have similar problems in this fight as he did in the Takam fight. Not that he didnt win that one handily, but he looked a bit frustrated at times unable to get off the shots he wanted on the shorter man, and taking a few surprise shots at times as well.
Joshua runs out of ideas alarmingly quickly against world level boxers, he's extremely good at what he does but what he does isn't particularly complex. Anybody with decent feet will give him problems, then again he's still landing regularly and winning comfortably even when he is made to look a bit basic.

Maybe I'm a casual but I'm somewhat surprised to hear everyone from bunce & Costello to matchroom and sky tell me that this could be his toughest fight and a potential upset.

It's almost like there are still tickets as well as PPV to sell.

Think Joshua will bludgeon povetkin.

Maybe I'm a casual but I'm somewhat surprised to hear everyone from bunce & Costello to matchroom and sky tell me that this could be his toughest fight and a potential upset.

It's almost like there are still tickets as well as PPV to sell.

Think Joshua will bludgeon povetkin.
Bunce and Costello don’t really have a vested interest in this fight.

Hearing ticket sales are well short of capacity which with another Wembley dat ebooked is not great but i guess without a 50/60k alternative they just have to bite the bullet

Hearing ticket sales are well short of capacity which with another Wembley dat ebooked is not great but i guess without a 50/60k alternative they just have to bite the bullet
Wembley is certainly better than Cardiff but it was very optimistic booking it for two fights in a row without opponents lined up. The stadium novelty for the sake of occasion has worn off and unless his April fight is against Wilder, Whyte or Tyson then Eddie will be rounding up the homeless to make it look full come fight night.