How impressive is Wladimir Klitschko's redemption story?

I'd agree.

The Povetkin fight is the best example. Povetkin would have taken his head off in a clean, fair fight.

There is tactical clinching (still illegal) but he took it too far. The whole tactic was to land one punch at distance and grab and lean, giving his shorter opponent no fair chance.

There were times in that fight where he didn't even attempt the punch he would just just jump forward and grab with both arms! In fact, he did this right at the opening bell, before a single punch was thrown.

Literally 25 mins of him illegally stopping Povetkin from fighting here.
He gets plenty of credit for his career imo. This fight was an embarrassing showcase of grabbing and he should have got a dq. Had plenty of good qualities as a fighter but was far to happy to grab and lean to victory.

Lunny

Former OTH PL Cup Winner
Staff member
Country Flag
United Kingdom
I'd agree.

The Povetkin fight is the best example. Povetkin would have taken his head off in a clean, fair fight.

There is tactical clinching (still illegal) but he took it too far. The whole tactic was to land one punch at distance and grab and lean, giving his shorter opponent no fair chance.

There were times in that fight where he didn't even attempt the punch he would just just jump forward and grab with both arms! In fact, he did this right at the opening bell, before a single punch was thrown.

Literally 25 mins of him illegally stopping Povetkin from fighting here.
My favourite is Wlad clinching after the bell.

He doesn't get the credit because his style was horrible.

Spent a lot of time jabbing and grabbing midgets.

Then Fury completely exposed him.