How impressive is Wladimir Klitschko's redemption story?

Roe

Lineal Champion
Staff member
Country Flag
Italy
I noticed earlier that Sky uploaded this documentary thing to their YouTube channel and it got me thinking about how he managed to turn his career around.

There can't be many better examples of elite boxers who have been somewhat humiliated several times, and yet bounced back to not only become a clear number 1 but also do it in such a redeeming manner.

The difference between the Wladimir Klitschko that got beaten up by Sanders and Brewster to career closing performance against Anthony Joshua is absolutely night and day.

It's a pretty incredible redemption story that often gets overlooked and underappreciated I think.

Lunny

Former OTH PL Cup Winner
Staff member
Country Flag
United Kingdom
Yeah it definitely gets overlooked and underappreciated.

Go back to 2004 and he's 28, he's been knocked out twice in his last 4 fights vs B level fighters. Been knocked out 3 times in his career so far.

Who would have picked him to be dominant and near enough clear out the division for the next 11 years after that?

Wlads left hook is probably my favourite punch. Every bit as dangerous as Wilders straight right. Fucking deadly

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
The difference between the Wladimir Klitschko that got beaten up by Sanders and Brewster to career closing performance against Anthony Joshua is absolutely night and day.
Feel like you have kind of skipped a bit there.

You've given us part 1 and 3 of his career and missed the long reigning dominant section in between.

It’s pretty crazy really. I started closely following boxing as he started his dominant reign so missed the losses until I caught up later.

Always seemed like everyone was waiting for him to get KOd again, even up to the Haye fight that seemed like the prevailing narrative to all his fights even after 8 or so years undefeated.

Country Flag
China
Hmmmm I thinl Wlad gets about the right credit. Lets not pretend the only reason he was successful was because he was allowed to cheat his way through every fight and the referee turned a blind eye.

If Wlad has tonfight for 12 rounds without excessive leaning, clinching and grabbibg he loses more than just the five he did.

It is cool, but with context. Vitali avenged those defeats, not Wlad. The two essentially split the division with Vitali taking the bangers while Wlad rode to a more safety first style, often full of egregious amounts of holding.

All in all he was the best of his era, but avenging your own defeats is redemption, not having your big brother kick the guy's ass for you.

It is cool, but with context. Vitali avenged those defeats, not Wlad. The two essentially split the division with Vitali taking the bangers while Wlad rode to a more safety first style, often full of egregious amounts of holding.

All in all he was the best of his era, but avenging your own defeats is redemption, not having your big brother kick the guy's ass for you.
What bangers did Vitali take?

Country Flag
England
Sanders for one. Arguably Arreola. Perhaps not my best phrasing but Vitali tended to take the guys who might crack Wlad's chin IMO.
Lol Arreola, Vitali absolutely obliterated him Wlad would have done the same.

BTW Briggs was a true banger though. Albeit well past his prime when he fought Vitali.

Hmmmm I thinl Wlad gets about the right credit. Lets not pretend the only reason he was successful was because he was allowed to cheat his way through every fight and the referee turned a blind eye.

If Wlad has tonfight for 12 rounds without excessive leaning, clinching and grabbibg he loses more than just the five he did.
I'd agree.

The Povetkin fight is the best example. Povetkin would have taken his head off in a clean, fair fight.

There is tactical clinching (still illegal) but he took it too far. The whole tactic was to land one punch at distance and grab and lean, giving his shorter opponent no fair chance.

There were times in that fight where he didn't even attempt the punch he would just just jump forward and grab with both arms! In fact, he did this right at the opening bell, before a single punch was thrown.

Literally 25 mins of him illegally stopping Povetkin from fighting here.

Country Flag
China
I'd agree.

The Povetkin fight is the best example. Povetkin would have taken his head off in a clean, fair fight.

There is tactical clinching (still illegal) but he took it too far. The whole tactic was to land one punch at distance and grab and lean, giving his shorter opponent no fair chance.

There were times in that fight where he didn't even attempt the punch he would just just jump forward and grab with both arms! In fact, he did this right at the opening bell, before a single punch was thrown.

Literally 25 mins of him illegally stopping Povetkin from fighting here.
It came back to haunt him and I noticed hed done it in other fights but against Fury he was literally creating opening for the clinch.

Like hed throw a jab and then Fury would repsond, Wlad would move in space and instead of following up woth a punch hed be setting upnfor a clinch like it was a scoring shot.

I had a good celebration that night even though the fight was shit, how much better has boxing been since Wlad got took out. He literally ruined the heavyweight division for a decade.

Yeh,this.

It's obviously v. impressive wat Wlad has acomplished,but he gets rated appropriately, imho.

U often see Wlad rated as a top 15 or even a top 10 HW ATG.Tht is an appropriate rating for Wlad,imo.

He did well,didn't he lose to Joe Hipp as well at some point? Manny Stewart was the turning point for him and he learned to stick to a game plan. He stopped trying to fight for the crowds and fought the way that was best for him. He's been a good example throughout his career for me. It's hard to do these top heavyweight lists but he's probably top 15/20. I think his brother was better though.

Country Flag
Northern Ireland
Complete master stroke going with Manny Stewart. Don’t think anyone would have thought he would make the top 20 all time list after the Brewster loss.

But Vitali has a trash record. He has so little depth to his name whereas Wlad has a great list of wins that far outweighs his defeats.