Davie's 85-05 middleweight era thread

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
USBA and NABF

Antwun Echols domination of both of these titles was the last to feature

The NABF was won by Panamanian Tito Mendosa stopping Maselino Masoe in 3 before a points win over Julio Garcia.

In 2001, both titles are reunited by Robert Allen who beat 20-0 Marlon Hayes.

Although he didn't beat NABF champion Tito Mendosa for the strap, he did face him the following year in an IBF eliminator

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
17th November 2001.
William Joppy, having just lost his WBA crown to Felix Trinidad, gets the chance to regain his "WBA world championship" against Howard Eastman, due to Hopkins being elevated to super champion having unified against Trinidad. What we all now know as the second rate odinary title was born.

Interestingly, it happened on the Lewis vs Rahman rematch undercard.
Any excuse Davie, any excuse.

Comms pointing to the brave matchmaking here. Joppy coming off a loss taking on the guy who had been his mandatory. And Eastman who would have been in line for the proper title against Bernard Hopkins fighting an ex champion. Commentary clearly disregarding the new WBA ordinary title, but the fighter obviously willing to recognise it.

1. 10-9 Joppy, good opener, Joppy still willing to take risks and go straight to work. Both men landing some good shots but Joppy establishing more and more control as the round wore on.

2. 10-9 Joppy. Another good round, mostly fought on the inside in this round and both guys scoring well again with very little holding up close. The ref seems intent on warning about hold. Joppy perhaps just slightly busier and more effective

3. 10-9 Joppy. Eastman happy to plough straight in, getting hit on the way there, soaking some of it on his gloves but he struggles to land with Joppy's nice head movement, would like to see Howard go down stairs more often. Joppy still working harder and very accurate with his varied output. But he's expending a lot of energy here and we've seen him tire fighting like this

4. 9-10 Eastman. Close round, Eastman choosing to keep this at arms length and the straight punching suited him better in spite in the disparity in hand speed. Joppy not moving the head as much but Eastman far better at using his feet to prevent being hit, so this range may be the place for him to stay

5. 9-10 Eastman. Joppy now opting to box and move on the back foot, allowing Eastman to maintain that distance while remaining the man on the front foot. Largely just using the high guard to stop Joppy being effective, while Joppy can't get too much power on his shots backing away. Eastman putting shots together in 2's and 3's and hitting the body when they do get close up

6. 10-9 Joppy. Both opt to fight with their heads on each others shoulders and again it doesn't suit Howard Eastman. Joppy far busier, far more effective at that close range, scoring hooks and particularly uppercuts. It always amazes me when fighters get caught consistently with uppercuts on the inside, you seldom see any adjustment in guard or head positioning, if it works early in a fight, by and large it works all night. Anyway, Joppy couldn't sustain the high output in fighting all round so he got on the move in the last minute and Eastman got some joy but not enough to win the round.

7. 9-10 Eastman. Fought well here on the outside but matched Joppy on the inside at points as well. I think Eastman has kept doing what he was doing but the head movement, the hand speed of Joppy just starting to dry up a little, some of his shots falling short and his stamina probably questionable as he still throws in flurries but they are not as consistent as they were in early rounds.

8. 9-10 Eastman. Scoring from arms reach with that right hand and at 3/4 range with the uppercut that doesn't seem to miss, landing it easier than Joppy's corner will be happy with given Joppy's attributes. Joppy lands a few good shots too but Eastman is hurting Joppy with these.

9. 9-10 Eastman, more of the same. The commentary team mentioning the uppercut which is landing but it's that straight right hand that's doing the damage and Joppoy is on the run at times. Needs to find a second wind here as this is slipping away from him

10. 10-9 Joppy. Big round and a big finish to that round. Howard took a round off that I don't think he can afford to give away. Joppy coming forward but not being walked on to anything as Eastman backs away and largely just jabs ineffectively

11. 10-9 Joppy. Really close round as Eastman picked up the pace a little with Joppy matching that output. Just a little more skill and accuracy displayed by Joppy, who looked sharp after a bad run of rounds in the 7th 8th and 9th.

12. 8-10 Eastman Round begins with some slick boxing from Eastman, slipping and countering, mid round sees a sustained period of good in fighting with a fair amount of holding from either man, then with 2 seconds to go Eastman nails him with a right man that makes Joppy left leg buckle under him and the knockdown is scored.

113-114 Eastman. I have the knockdown being the difference between the two of them, in a very close evenly contested contest

The judges have it to Joppy on two card and one even. Bill Grahams score to Joppy by 3 points feels a tad wide as there were only a couple particularly close rounds but no complaints with it going to Joppy.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
WBO super welterweight champion Harry Simon, stepped up and faced our man Hacine Cherifi, for the interim WBO middleweight title. He would face the reigning champion Armand Krajnc in the following year.

Armand Krajnc rounded the year off with a win over Paolo Roberto to defend his WBO title.

Krajnc likes posting tiny little bits of his fights on his youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/4xTQV9ToAgM
https://youtu.be/Tbzq5XTZGks

Harry Simon vs Hacine Cherifi straight from Bayamon Puerto Rico.

1. 10-9 Simon, working better springing in from the outside. Cherifi giving him far more space than he has previous opponents, perhaps concerned by Harry's power, but he probably needs to crowd him more and take away the leverage from Simon. Cherifi did start working his way into the last minute but Simon gets back on top in the dying seconds.

2. 10-9 Simon. Now fighting on the inside and Simon still looks the stronger, busier and more powerful. Really gets a good bit of rotation into those shots. He is working awfully hard and putting a lot into his shots, he'll do well to maintain that against Cherifi who has a great engine

3. 10-9 Simon, a wide round, Harry Simon looks a real physical specimen of a fighter, really loading up on those hooks, always backing up and now hurtying Cherifi. I struggle to see how Cherifi gets into this because he wants nothing to do with him up close and thjat's his stock in trade. He needs Simon to tire badly

4. 9-10 Cherifi looking sluggish early but Simon not really letting his shots go, Cherifi bursts into life half way and starts a great exchange. We see Harry Simon leaning in late in the round starting to look like he's struggling.

5. 9-10 Cherifi. Starts as he ended the 4th, staying busy. It then becomes a battle of the jabs that Cherifi wins too. They have a few excahnges inside, Cherifi winning that also. Simon is trying to load up while tired now causing him to telegraph shots that cherifi is able to block

6. 10-9 Simon, looking refreshed after a couple rounds off, getting good torque on those hooks and aiming more of them to the body now, also rolling side to side to evade the return fire, this is quite a clear Simon round in a fight that seems to have quite clear swings in momentum based on how fresh/tired the combatants are. Both men slipping at points on the advertisment on the centre of the ring canvas.

7. 10-9 Simon. Unusually low output from Cherifi and also just not as effective inside again. I think he is worried about the strength and power of Simon in there, he really is a little tank
They're showing the canvas on the ring, it's lumpy. It's properly uneven where the boards join. Chefiri went down to what seemed a slipp in the 7th but he actually tripped as his heel hit a bump on the canvas. Shocking!

8.10-9 Simon. A prettty good action round, both pickimg up the action at the same time leading to good exchanges and then we had some lulls. Simon hurt Cherifi and Cherifi looked tired at times, although he did have a spurt late on he couldn't sustain it and got tagged just before the end

9. 9-10 Cherifi. Tight but I liked Cherifi's work. Totally different performance from the Frenchman he is actually counter punching nicely. Simon hurts him with a good shot and follows it with a flurry that mames me think twice about my score but Cherifi answers back with a barrage of his own and I think he merits the point here.

10.10-9 Simon. Both landing a similar number of shots but as the commentary correctly calls, there's little on Cherifi's shot, possibly highlighted by Simon being a sturdy lump. But Simon back to dropping bombs and really swinging with everything he has. Cherifi needs a KO he looks incapable of getting

11.10-9 Simon. These rounds now are just about how much Simon has in the tank. When he has the energy to work, he is winning. He digs deep and pours everything on until he needs a short breather, as long as he can do that for half the round it is his round. Cherifi getting the tape on his gloves sorted helps Simon no end, as he comes back from that brief respite swinig like a mad man

12. 9-10 Cherifi. Good closing effort, first time he has really sat down on his shots, obviously looking for the knock out but it's all too late and he probably never had the fire power to find it. He needed to do more on the cards over the previous 11. Simon landing a decent amount of hard shots to make it close and as Cherifi gave up on the attempt to stop him in the last 45 seconds or so Simon lands a good right hook that sends Cherifi reeling back to the ropes but I suspect the uneven floor played it's part.

116-112 Simon.
Harry Simon looked formidable, particularly in physical terms. But certainly limited in some ways. Cherifi possibly made him look good though, as he wasn't at his vest and certainly not fighting to his strengths. Whether that was due to him having an off night or simply that this was a bad style match up against someone too strong inside where he likes to work, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
WBO super welterweight champion Harry Simon, stepped up and faced our man Hacine Cherifi, for the interim WBO middleweight title. He would face the reigning champion Armand Krajnc in the following year.

Armand Krajnc rounded the year off with a win over Paolo Roberto to defend his WBO title.

Krajnc likes posting tiny little bits of his fights on his youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/4xTQV9ToAgM
https://youtu.be/Tbzq5XTZGks

Watched the highlights of Krajncs defence. Shame there isn't more footage, although he doesn't quite look world class, his fights are action packed, eventful and he is capable of hurting his opponent, could have been some entertaining fights and the chance to get some more perspective on a little known champion. The WBO is held in higher regard now than it was 20 years ago but he was still title holder and it would have been nice to follow the lineage through. Think I'll get to see his last fight for the WBO vs Harry Simon, that should be a barn burner.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Amidst all the excitement of the 2001 middleweight tournament, I've kind of neglected the lower level of the middleweight division.

It just so happens that a British and European update will throw up some names that will feature at world level soon.

The BBBoC British title.
I left this with Glenn Catley beating the exciting Neville Brown.
Catleys next move was to face Richie Woodhall up at 168lb (which I might throw in too).
The vacant crown was contested by Howard Eastman and Steve Foster. Eastman winning the title via 7th round stoppage.

Eastman then won the vacant IBO inter-continental title at SMW, followed by the WBA inter-continental middleweight title followed by the WBA continental middleweight title, all against people I've never heard of held in leisure centres
He returned to the British title, defending it against it against Derek Wormald.

Eastman then beat unbeaten Mike Algoet for the CBA middleweight title, I have no idea what that stands for and Cant be arsed finding out (baddum tssh @Shadowboxer )

Eastman then beat 3 guys with losing records before fightimg Akhmet Dottuev to add the WBA international middleweight title to their continental and inter-continental titles, before beating future world middleweight champion Sam Soliman to add the commonwealth title to his now bulging trophy cabinet.

Now up to speed in 2001, Howard Eastman defends his British and commonwealth titles while picking up the vacant EBU title fighting Robert McCracken fresh off his loss to Keith Holmes.

Howard Eastman vs Derek Wormald
Nice finish from Eastman. Catches him coming in swinging, with a nice counter for the first knockdown
The next two are vicious looking uppercuts that Wormald is wide open to swinging away again. He's hurt a couple times in between those kds and still keeps coming, game as you like.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Amidst all the excitement of the 2001 middleweight tournament, I've kind of neglected the lower level of the middleweight division.

It just so happens that a British and European update will throw up some names that will feature at world level soon.

The BBBoC British title.
I left this with Glenn Catley beating the exciting Neville Brown.
Catleys next move was to face Richie Woodhall up at 168lb (which I might throw in too).
The vacant crown was contested by Howard Eastman and Steve Foster. Eastman winning the title via 7th round stoppage.

Eastman then won the vacant IBO inter-continental title at SMW, followed by the WBA inter-continental middleweight title followed by the WBA continental middleweight title, all against people I've never heard of held in leisure centres
He returned to the British title, defending it against it against Derek Wormald.

Eastman then beat unbeaten Mike Algoet for the CBA middleweight title, I have no idea what that stands for and Cant be arsed finding out (baddum tssh @Shadowboxer )

Eastman then beat 3 guys with losing records before fightimg Akhmet Dottuev to add the WBA international middleweight title to their continental and inter-continental titles, before beating future world middleweight champion Sam Soliman to add the commonwealth title to his now bulging trophy cabinet.

Now up to speed in 2001, Howard Eastman defends his British and commonwealth titles while picking up the vacant EBU title fighting Robert McCracken fresh off his loss to Keith Holmes.

1.10-9 Eastman comes out firing, piling it on and trying to unsettle McCracken and it works, dragging him out of his orthodox boxing style. Eastman won't keep goping like this but nice start

2. 10-9 Eastman. Looks classy and relaxed. He started fast but settled quickly into his usual style. They are say McCracken doesn't have the speed to counter him but Eastman isn't particularly quick, he's composed, picking the right shots timing them well and throwing with accuracy.

3. 10-9 Eastman. Full round fought toe to toe and McCracken will be happier with his contribution here, landing lots of shots but Eastman matched his out put, possibly slightly more accurate and he has that strength and power inside, scoring heavy uppercuts at times

4. 9-10 McCracken, Technically corrct textbook boxing doing the job, using the jab very effectively to break up Eastmans attacks and hold him off

5. 9-10 McCracken. Pumping out the long straight jab, keeping his shots long, he's commanding cantre ring, pushing Eastman back. Eastman now a little lazy

6. 9-10 McCracken. Eastman showing little tricks and flicking his jab, Posturing and clowning but not throwing enough. Get started with a minute left but too little too late

7. 10-9 Eastman, comes out explosive, busy while heavy handed He's putting a lot of clever combinations together, like a different fighter and even finds time for some nice elusive head movement mixed with a bit of clownig. Which looks better when he's on top

8. 9-10 McCracken. Like the 3rd, full round fought in the proverbial phone box. McCracken is initiating this and he's having success. Possibly just edging it on body work but Eastman does still carry that little bit extra power and class in his shots. Think Watt gave him the round and couldn't argue too strongly. Cracking round in a nice little fight so far
Jim Watts card was the same as mine in the first 5 but given Eastman all of the last 3. So he has Eastman 6-2 up while I have it level

9. 10-9 Eastman. Worked inside all round again and Eastman looking far fresher, working harder and landing some crisp clean shots. Love how he positions himself over toi his right out of the way of Robs shots and whips that right uppercut back underneath himself

10. TKO Eastman. The last round McCracken looked tired, this one he started to look as if he had been broken down. Eastman rocks his head back with an uppercut and Rob's knees give from under him. He beats the count but after the 8 he looks unsteady and just as the ref is about to wave him on Rob turns to his corner, looking unsure whether he want's to go on and makes the refs mind up.

In spite of my scoirecard being close, Howard Eastman looked far the sperior operator in there, more skilled, more accurate and landing cleaner shots, he dropped a few rounds to a combination of taking a couple off, some decent conventional by the book boxing and admirable effort from McCracken. But Eastman never looked like being worried and you'd have fancied him to take the last couple as long as he applied himself,m he alwys looked comfortable in there. Good performance but he could have been better if more commited and consistent

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
The next ew years will be easy to skip through at title level, with Bernard Hopkins holding 3 of the straps.
His next opponent will be Carl Daniels as Hopkins takes a couple run of the mill looking defences, which he has probably earned.

Daniels is a former light middleweight, his first crack at world level was as a 21 year old against Terrible Terry Norris and ended in a 9th round KO.
In 1995 he won the vacant WBA 154lb title against former Joppy opponent Julio Cesar Green by UD, before losing to Julio Cesar Vasquez on an 11th round TKO in a fight that he seems to have been comfortably ahead on all 3 cards.
He then lost to Frenchman Laurent Boudouanni by fairly wide UD in 1997.

In 2000 Carl beat Brian Barbosa, fairly comfortably, in an IBF eliminator to set up the shot at the winner of the middleweight tournament, which he sat out the entirety of 2001 to meet. Not sure if the 14 month lay off will be the best preparation for a crack at the undisputed championship against Bernard Hopkins.

February 2002. WBA, WBC & IBF title and the Ring championship belt

Bernard Hopkins vs. Carl Daniels

Hopkins-Daniels(2 Feb 2002).jpg
Bernard Hopkins 159 lbs beat Carl Daniels 160 lbs by RTD in round 10 of 12
Notes
  • Daniels was ranked #1 IBF Middleweight contender.
  • Hopkins defends his newly awarded Ring Magazine middleweight world title.
  • Daniels' corner stops the bout after the 10th.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
In April, the one remaining title, not held by then considered undisputed champ Bernard Hopkins, was the WBO strap

Armand Krajnc had been the full champion and Harry Simon had gained the interim title.
Here they face to settle the score

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
That fight was the beginning and end of world level boxing for Harry Simon.

Fatal Collision and Imprisonment
  • On November 21, 2002, three Belgian tourists — two adults and a baby — were killed in Namibia when their car collided with a Mercedes-Benz driven by Simon, who suffered a broken arm and two broken legs. The collision occurred when Simon allegedly tried to overtake two cars at once and ran into the oncoming car. Simon was convicted of culpable homicide on August 4, 2005, and was sentenced to two years in prison. His appeal was dismissed on July 9, 2007. Simon served his sentence. As of 2018, Simon was still active as a boxer.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Hopkins next Opponent would be Morrade Hakkar of France. France seem to be turning out some not too shabby middleweights around this time.

Hakkar in 2001 had challenged for the EBU title that Howard eastman had vacated to fight William Joppy.
He faced Cristian Sanavia of Italy and lost an MD which he avenged in Italy in 2002 by forcing Sanavia to retire in the 7th round

It's questionable whether I will force myself to watch this grainy footage

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
USBA and NABF

Antwun Echols domination of both of these titles was the last to feature

The NABF was won by Panamanian Tito Mendosa stopping Maselino Masoe in 3 before a points win over Julio Garcia.

In 2001, both titles are reunited by Robert Allen who beat 20-0 Marlon Hayes.

Although he didn't beat NABF champion Tito Mendosa for the strap, he did face him the following year in an IBF eliminator

1. 10-9 Allen, Slow first round. Allen scoring to the body, while compubox reports no one landing, take it compubox doesn't count body connects. Right hook landed late for Allen

2. 9-10 Mendosa. Left jab the main weapon but scores a few back hands as well.

3. 10-9 Allen, both content to stay outside, Mendosa with the obvious advantage in height but Allen the more skilled counter-puncher getting the counter right hook through, scoring with the left down the middle from the southpaw stance and even nailed him with the uppercut when he over commited

4. 9-10 Mendosa scoring regularly with the jab, a few decent bdy shots, doing all the leading and Allen being a little too patient waiting for the counters, but he did get through with a few, just needs to get busier

5. 10-9 Allen, getting a bit more joy with the counter punches but also taking the opportunity to score the body shots when Mendosa gets too close, Allen takes the chance to lead
Teddy Atlas sounding like a cross between William Shatner and Christopher Walken here.

6. Allen wins by hitting Mendosa on the belt line, which was basically a shot to the belly, Mendosa makes out it's a low blow, eventually being stretchered out the ring and taken to an ambulance....

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
The next ew years will be easy to skip through at title level, with Bernard Hopkins holding 3 of the straps.
His next opponent will be Carl Daniels as Hopkins takes a couple run of the mill looking defences, which he has probably earned.

Daniels is a former light middleweight, his first crack at world level was as a 21 year old against Terrible Terry Norris and ended in a 9th round KO.
In 1995 he won the vacant WBA 154lb title against former Joppy opponent Julio Cesar Green by UD, before losing to Julio Cesar Vasquez on an 11th round TKO in a fight that he seems to have been comfortably ahead on all 3 cards.
He then lost to Frenchman Laurent Boudouanni by fairly wide UD in 1997.

In 2000 Carl beat Brian Barbosa, fairly comfortably, in an IBF eliminator to set up the shot at the winner of the middleweight tournament, which he sat out the entirety of 2001 to meet. Not sure if the 14 month lay off will be the best preparation for a crack at the undisputed championship against Bernard Hopkins.

February 2002. WBA, WBC & IBF title and the Ring championship belt

Bernard Hopkins vs. Carl Daniels

Hopkins-Daniels(2 Feb 2002).jpg
Bernard Hopkins 159 lbs beat Carl Daniels 160 lbs by RTD in round 10 of 12
Notes
  • Daniels was ranked #1 IBF Middleweight contender.
  • Hopkins defends his newly awarded Ring Magazine middleweight world title.
  • Daniels' corner stops the bout after the 10th.

Bernard's gimp masks are top class

1. 10-9 Bernard Hopkins. Very slight advantage Hopkins, being the only one taking risks and landing only a couple shots, Daniels keeping it tight, not giving Hopkins any openings here

2. 10-9 Hopkins. Takes him a minute but he manages to get Daniels fighting. Bernard closing the distance and forcing Daniels to exchange. Big George talking some weapons grade bullshit tonight, daft auld cunt forgot to take his meds again

3. 10-9 Hopkins. Daniels rhythmically pushing out the left hand and consistently falling well short of hitting anything other than the underside of Hopkins glove. I do not understand fighters doing this, it just means there is so many gaps in your defence when the lead hand is redundant. And Bernard capitalises on it, whipping the left hook round that hand, pumping the straight right up through the middle. He ends the round going to the body and Merchant says it's because he could reach the head. Anything but Larry. Daniels has a couple decent burst of shots in the round but none unanswered

Holy shit, they have Arthur Mercante sr doing Harold Ledermans job. Wtf?

4. 10-9 Hopkins. His best shots here are left hooks that come at the end of a combination, he's putting plenty sauce on those shots. Bernard gets a reprimand for throwing a long body shot from too far out. It landed fine though

5.10-9 Hopkins lands left and right, head and body but it's the left hooks to the ribs that really sink in. Daniels lands a some decent stuff in the last minute that turn it into a bit of a fire fight but it only results in him getting hurt by something and Hopkins pouring on punishment

6. 10-9 Hopkins. There hasn't been a lot of holding and rough stuff, very little boring in with the head, holding and hitting and only just noticed the first couple of low shots which is surprising given the body work he has put in

7. 10-9 Hopkins another thing there has been very few of for Hopkins, is the jab. Almost all power shots and the jab, when used, is part of a combination or setting up a power shot, never just used in isolation. Last couple rounds following the same pattern though, hopkins largely in front but Daniels almost always finds a bit of fight and a few shots sneak through.

8. 9-10 Daniels. I probably scored that wrong, it was a shut out on all cards but I just felt Daniels made a few more of those short bursts of activity and had some success with them. Bernard worked more consistently and with a bit more sting on the end of his shots but quite a bit of Hopkins work blocked. I think I can justify Daniels getting round though

9. 10-9 Hopkins huge round for Hopkins there, hitting him and hurting him early, a series of hard left hooks send him reeling from corner to corner. Follows in and beats him quite relentlessly. Daniels eventually fires back a bit when there is a dip in Bernards output. But his fitness if off the charts as he picks it up and punishes Daniels some more. Mercante gives it 10-8 and I can understand why

10. 10-9 Hopkins. Just more of the same, not as punishing as the last but Daniels not showing a huge amount of resistance and not nearly the fight his cirner need to see from their fighter who is well behind. They pull him out and as understandable as it is I can also understand the frustrations of Daniels, Hopkins and the crowd. He was still in the fight and not badly hurt.

I couldn't see anyway he was going to pull out the last 2 rounds let alone the fight

99-91 Hopkins and I only just found a round for Daniels and if pushed to score it again would probably agree with everyone else that I was wrong

The compubox stats as ever are huge for the 37 year old. Outrageous output from Hopkins.
As ever he was fitter and busier than Daniels. He was technically the better fighter although Daniels did show in flashes almost every round that he could find Bernard with some nice skillful work. Bernard had a bit more meat on his shots too as the naturally bigger man.

And tactically I thought he was spot on, his body work did the damage here.

Nice little bit of live negotiations for the undisputed vs undisputed Hopkins vs Jones jr rematch that never happened.
Talk of a reasonable catch weight, Bernard wanting 50/50 with Roy demanding 60/40. A tale as old as boxing itself.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
The next mega fight for Bernard and middleweight boxing is Oscar De La Hoya.
It's a couple of years down the line yet and Hopkins still has Hakkar, Joppy and Allen II to deal with. But seeing as I covered the Trinidad vs Oscar fight, I might as well keep tabs on his rebuild at 147 and his career as he moves through light middleweight and on to a 6 weight world champion.

After losing to Felix Trinidad, Oscar came back in February 2000 to 'title' action fighting for the vacant IBA world welter weight title against Derell Coley.
Interesting stat, no one ever successfully defended the IBA title. Every day's a school day kids.
Coley had had a couple good close fights at NABF level, winning an MD over unbeaten Ray Lovato and losing an SD to Oba Carr.

In June 2000, the world got one they were all waiting for, when Oscar faced lightweight king Sugar Shane Mosley

March 2001, Oscar faced the exciting Arturo Gatti

In June 2001, Oscar went straight in at world level at 154lbs for the first time as Javier Castillejo's 6th defence of the WBC crown

Bringing us right up to 2002, is Fernando Vargas, who had won back the vacant IBA title and the WBA light middleweight title he'd lost to Felix Trinidad.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
In April, the one remaining title, not held by then considered undisputed champ Bernard Hopkins, was the WBO strap

Armand Krajnc had been the full champion and Harry Simon had gained the interim title.
Here they face to settle the score

1. 10-9 Krajnc. Scoring a few one twos, keeping it at range and making Simon look wild with his aimless looking swings

2. 9-10 Simon. Tidied up his work, still swinging wildly but getting some on target and getting into range before launching them. Scores a double left hook to the body, Krajnc appears to duck down and his glove touches the canvas and Simon swings right over his head going for a left hook to the head that's no longer there and floors himself tripping over Krajnc. Ref too interested in waving that the Simon fall was not a kd, he missed Krajncs glove touching

3. 9-10 Simon. Slow starting round, Krajnc trying and failing to establish the jab, falling short with it and not fully commiting to it, it's not detering Simon in the slightest. Simon still a bit wild, misses a fair bit but some of those over hand rights catch Krajncs ear.

4. 10-9 Krajnc. L:etting the right hand go now although it doesn't seem to be carrying much pop. Simon does and works harder for the main, landing a good number of body shots, but Krajnc ends the round very strong

5. 9-10 Simon. Good round with both guys landing solid shots. Simon having his best success to the body here, struggling to land too clean to the head with the overhand right that he keeps trying. And Krajnc has a reputation for being particularly tough which is why Simon is trying to break him down to the ribs. Krajn c having success with the uppercut.

6. 10-9 Krajnc. These are good rounds. Maybe not technically brilliant but plenty of action and meaty shots exchanged. Simon still finding Krajnc's guard a formidable defence. He needs to counter and throw between shots instead of waiting for his turn. Simon best work to the body. But Krajnc with those uppercuts inside doing damage, he scores with a 5 punch uppercut combination at one point which is rare to see

7. 9-10 Simon. Score a number of good left hooks, a shot he'd neglected earlier. He's using it as a counter at times. Also turning that over hand right into a wider shot now getting it round the Krajnc guard. Krajnc ended the round well and Darke gives him it, we have disagreed on more rounds than we agreed but it's one of those too and fro fights where no one fighter dominates 3 minutes

8. 9-10 Simon. Huge amount of work to the body again, his corner ask for more to the head and the wider swings do give him a bit more success. Krajnc took the first half off and didnt have enough success late to swing it. Some fucking twat Swedish skiing fan has brought a bell with them to a boxing match.

9. 9-10 Simon. His work ethic is impressive given how much he puts into shots. Krajnc struggling with the pace at this stage, has quiet spells then looks lethargic when he throws. He's also guilty of trying to steal rounds in the last 15 seconds

10. 9-10. Simon. Commentary pointed to Simon looking tired but he was still swinging and Krajnc couldn't or wouldn't capitalise on it. Simon still able to throw and land more

11. 9-10 Simon, lots more body work which has admittedly never dented Krajnc. Simon scores a couple of rare straight right hands. He scores the left hook on the two occasions he throws it and I feel that could have been a good shot if he'd let it go more

12. 9-10 Simon, just enough in a tighter round, where Krajnc really dug deep to try and match Simons output

McCrory gave Krajnc rounds 2 and 7, I gave him 1, 4 & 6.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
In June 2000, the world got one they were all waiting for, when Oscar faced lightweight king Sugar Shane Mosley

1. 10-9 Oscar. Came out aggressive and pressing forward clearly trying to make a point after the Trindad bout

2. 10-9 Oscar, still pressing forward forcing Coley back, jabbing, setting up big shots that are landing. Eventually moves to the body,. Coley can feel those shots drops his guard, Oscar goes back upstairs. Coley tapping Oscar with a jab where he doesn't fully extend his arm meaning he is still in range for Oscar to land full blooded shots. So the jab isn't effective as a hurting shot, it isn't maintaining distance, it isn't detering Oscar and it isn't setting anything up because he isn't throwing anything off it. Why fcking throw it then?

3. 10-9 Oscar. Vicious in the opening half and Coley starts flicking those back hand jabs that Joppy was guilty of a few years earlier. Oscar takes a couple breathers later in the round and Coley gets confident enough to through a couple jabs with intent but little else

4. 9-10 Coley, holy shit, where did that come from, Coley hruts Oscar early and unleashes a whole minute of relentless power punching. There's a brief break and Oscar hurts him and goes for broke himself. A little back and forth in the closing minute but I have to think Coley spent more of the round unloading leather there. Brilliant round

5. 10-9 Oscar. Mixing the target from head to body well again. The Coley jab in sharper and stiffer but he struggle to get anything else going.

6. 10-9 Oscar. Coley dreamt he was going to stop Oscar in this round with a series of hard shots. Yet he sleepwalked through this round and Oscar almost sent him back to dreamland with a sweetleft hook late in the round

7. KO Oscar De La Hoya. Good finish. He was having a good round, Coley's right eye was closing badly, his nose was streaming blood and to make matters worse, had blown his nose. Oscar finished it with two hard body shots, a left to the pit of the stomach and a right round the back of the ribs. Coley didn't even try to stand.

Noticed more biased Lampley commentary there as "Oscar took that right hand like he knows he can take Coley's power". So Coley landed a good shot and he turned it into a positive about Oscars toughness. I'm starting to go off Jim recently.

59-55 Oscar De La Hoya. A good performance and a good style of victory, even if he did seem a little keen to show his aggression at times, to answer the critics after throwing away the Trinidad fight

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland

1. 9-10 Mosley. speed is the key, Mosley moving back and quicker to the shot and move away. Sharper jab and scoring the right round

2. 10-9 Oscar, realising he has to get quicker and edges the round with a strong finish.

3. 9-10 Mosley. The speed of that right hand, as a single shot or one two is the difference, Oscar trying with the left hook and landing it to the body at times. Good exchange late in the round

4. 10-9 Oscar. Really close round with a lot of good shots landed by both. Bit extra weight to Oscars shots and gets the last shot in a lot of exchanges. Could have gone either way though

5. 10-9 Oscar. Mosley sharper for most of the round, scoring the quick flicked jab and that right getting through. Shane always first to the punch and Oscar retaliating a lot. But Oscar arguably lands the biggest shot of the round and slightly hurts Shane late on and Shane lowers the output in the last 30 seconds, think I neeed to lean to Oscar for that reason

6. 10-9 Oscar. More output and more power. Shane just not working enough now,

7. 9-10. Mosley. Sharpness back in Mosley's work, waiting for Oscar to lead, Shane is moving better and countring fast with the right hand.

8. 9-10 Mosely. Another tough one to score. Mosley sharp at the begining and scoring well, Oscar puts some heavy work into the mid section in the middle part of the round before Shane switched southpaw and nothing of note happened in the last minute of the round

9. 9-10 Mosley. Good action. Shane knows Oscar will exchange everytime he throws, He hits, draws the punches from Oscar then uses his quickness and judgement to sneak a nice shot in there, scoring some nice rights but his best shot in there may have been a left hand from Shane. It is a risky strategy though as not always judged correctly and did eat some solid shots from De La Hoya

10. 9-10 Mosley. That jab is deadly accurate, bringing it up between Oscars ineffective guard, timing it between Oscars own jabs that are falling short. Quickness of hand and thought by Shane.

11. 9-10 Mosley, This round slowed right down, Mosley just waiting on Oscar and pot shotting with single counter punches. Very accurate with them and with Oscar having nothing to counter and Shane not initiating exchanges, Oscar has little to go at

12. 9-10 Mosley, huge final round for Mosley and a war to end a good round. Mosley winning the first half using his speed to get off first in a two way battle. His stamina told in the second half as the De La Hoya tank appeared to drain. Surprisingly, Shane even seemed to outman Oscar in there.

112-116 Sugar Shane Mosley.
A lot of close rounds but you need to be doing something slightly questionable to find that in Oscar De La Hoya's favour.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
March 2001, Oscar faced the exciting Arturo Gatti

1. 10-8 Oscar. That's Gatti in a 3 minute snapshot, Excitment, drama and blood. He starts well scores the best shots with the left hand and is arguably winning the round until Oscar nails him and follows in flooring him with a left hook

2. 10-9 Oscar. Gatti starts well again. He seems to wobble Oscar with a left hook and as Oscar stumbles the ref stops Gatti coming in for no apparent reason. The ref then wipes Oscars gloves witout a count. Why would you do that with no kd? Oscar comes on strong after that and lands heavy combinations and hurts Gatti to head and body.

3. 10-9 Oscar. Gatti again looking dangerous in spots, landing a few hard hooks but in between those spots it is all Oscar. He hurt him a few times and at one point Oscar lands a 4 punch combination flush and it never looks at any point in that sequence that Arturo is thinking of moving his head, he just braces himself to keep taking them, fucking madman

4. 10-9 Oscar. Gatti now seeing his shots being blocked and parried quite consistently. Oscar again landing two handed attacks, more 4 shot combinations landing flush. Gatti really can be hopeless defensively and against a fast handed accurate fighter, he's taking a beating

5. TKO ODLH. Towel comes in from Gatti's corner. Oscar shows some fancy head movement early, Gatti just can';t land anything meanigful on Oscar whether he's blocking, parrying or slipping shots. One sustained attack from Oscar is enough at that point for Gatti's people, Oscar seemingly hurts him to head and body while he pummels him on the ropes and while Gatti is far from finished it is very very one way at this point.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
In June 2001, Oscar went straight in at world level at 154lbs for the first time as Javier Castillejo's 6th defence of the WBC crown

This footage is stunning quality..

1. 10-9 Oscar. Good volume punching in the first round and on the occasion Castillejo scores a one two he takes 3 or 4 back

2. 10-9 Oscar. Got Castillejo backing up and outworking him but also inviting work from Javier in the hope of creaing openings

3. 10-9 Oscar. Castillejo gives Oscar what he's looking for by leading with the jab and Oscar takes the openings. Also good body shots mised in from Oscar. Castillejo's work seems very easy to read for Oscar, with one right hand badly telegraphed.

4. 10-9 Oscar. Castillejo will be glad Oscar doesn't carry a lot of power up at 154lbs, as Oscar is tattoing him at times here. Dominates the battle of the jab early, mixes in good variety later in the round and there's no moment you feel Castillejo is getting the better of him.

5. 10-9 Oscar. Lot of clever work in there, drawing movement with the feints and punishing Castillejo, well timed counters, really out classing his guy, then out of nowhere he gets sloppy and eats a nicely judged right upprcut, left hook combination from Castillejo. Far too much success for Oscar though to lose to 2 good shots, even if they were Castillejo's best shots

6. 10-9 Oscar. Having to initiate things in the first two minutes, as Castillejo keeps his powder dry. Oscar gets joy jabbing to the body before switching upostairs for 2 or 3 shots then backing off. When Castillejo starts firing in the last minute he has as much success as he's had and one solid shot gets in there.

7. 10-9 Oscar. Castillejo again doing nothing for pretty much the whole first 2 minutes and worryingly for him when he does he loses the last minute almost as convincingly as the first 2. Oscar maybe isn't a big puncher at 154lbs, but he also isn't loading up or looking for the big shots. If he wer, you would expect Castillejo's corner might be thinking of pulling him out.

8. 10-9 Oscar. Just dominant

9. 10-9 Oscar. Quite even opening minute, as close as the fight's been and commentary focus on Oscars punch stats from previous rounds. Oscar goes to work and lands lengthy combinations and they commentate on what's happening. Castillejo scores a few decent clean punches all of which are ignored. Oscar wins the remainder to take the round, no question but it's so easy to be led by this style of cheerleading

10. 9-10 Castillejo. He needed that round. Won the first minute clearly, with his best offence of the round. He threw a good number of big shots two handed. Oscar cameback into it in the second round but Castillejo closed the last minute, one left hook gets round the guard of Oscar that makes a nice thud.

11. 10-9 Oscar. Decent round. Castillejo fighting with a bit more ambition and scoring a few solid shots here. By and large Oscar is too good here and gives Floyd the big flurry he asked for to try and get Draculich to step in but he can't keep it going long enough. Interesting seeing Castillejo do the Omar Figueroa Macarena there though.

12. 10-8 Oscar. Finished well, I liked midround when he got on his toes, bounced a little, parried shots and fired quick counter. Oscar tries to finish it late, after being caught with a wicked left hook from Castillejo, Oscat throws a couple of long hard combinations with the last one ending with a sweet left hook that floors an off balance Castillejo for a knock down in the final 10 seconds.

119-108 Oscar De La Hoya

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Bringing us right up to 2002, is Fernando Vargas, who had won back the vacant IBA title and the WBA light middleweight title he'd lost to Felix Trinidad.

1. 9-10 Vargas. Oscar showed skill early keeping Vargas from landing clean and firing his own quick little shots back. Vargas then unbalanced Oscar with a few shots, almost puts him through the ropes. Unclear how many were proper clean scoring shots but he let Oscar know he was there, he was the bigger man and Oscar did look hurt

2. 10-9 Oscar. Again looking far the more skilled operator. Working the jab, working the body. Oscar moving well and making him miss a lot and catching and countering well.

3. 9-10 Vargas. Better boxing round for Vargas, scored his share of shots, got through with the left hook and body shots. He showed he is clearly the bigger stronger man and more powerful puncher, having more impact with similar success rate. George felt Oscar hurt him with a right hand, I didn't see that

4 . 10-9 Oscar. Showimg he is the faster man with better movement and skillset. Lampley correctly points out as long as he's mobile and uses his feet and stays off the ropes, Vargas can't impose himself

5. 9-10 Vargas. Oscar fights flat footed and tries to back him up. Bad move, Vargas bullies him at points and bloodied his nose.

6. 10-9 Oscar. Uses his feet better in portions of this round but he does also stand in front of Fernando, but he likes to use the upper body movement to just drop out of range of shots and fire the quick counters back. Nice work from De La Hoya

7. 10-9 Oscar. The first two minute it was the usual speed, mobility, the jab and better skills. But just as we enter the final minute Oscar scores the hardest shots of a round for the first time, nailing Vargas with a big left hook and shortly after a big right hand. Vargas is in trouble if Oscar becomes the power puncher in there too

8. 10-9 Oscar. George complimentary of the left jab, which he peppers Vargas with. Lampley compliments him on the straight right that is doing the most damage and Oscar lands some good body work into the bargain. What he seldom throws and barely lands is his famed leftbhook

9. 9-10 Vargas. Puts the foot on the gas and it coincides with Oscar taking a roumd off and try to move to conserve energy. Like the way he lands the left hook to the body and the big right hook to the head, seems like Oscar having trouble defending them.

10. 10-9 Oscar. Very close round for 2m50s of the round. Oscar moving and trying to box and largely successful, mainly with the left hand. Vargas getting his share of heavy blows through to keep it tight although I was edging toward giving Oscar the round when he nails Vargas with a great combination to body and head that really staggers him late to confirm Oscar gets the point

11. A minute into the round Merchant is questioning whether he has given Vargas the chance to recuperate when Oscar flattens him with one of the best left hooks you'll see. Oscar tries to finish it when he gets back up but Cargas initially does a good job of ducking and slipping the flurry but once he starts hitting him he does not miss until the ref steps in and stops it.

96-94 Oscar De La Hoya goimg into the 11th.
Oscar took on a genuine world class champion at 154lbs and a dangerous, stronger, bigger fighter and definitely the more powerful puncher.
That he was beating him was impressive. That the former super featherweight hurt him and stopped him has to go down as one of the best wins of a true ATG resume.