Davie's 60-86 bantamweight era thread

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
Jeff Chandler vs Julian Solis WBA title 14.11.1980

Jeff Chandler 116 lbs beat Julian Solis 117 lbs by KO at 2:58 in round 7 of 15

1. 10-8 Chandler. Good fast paced opener, both quick boxers, Jeff accepting the role as front foot aggressor coning forward with the jab. He scores a knockdown but looked a slip

13. Ok, so not the full fight footage then. :lol:
The replay showed that knockdown in round 1 was legit. The commentary reckon Chandlers aggression has paid off, he's winning and also wobbled him in the 8th. He is still pursuing Solis and probably edged the 13th, not that there's much point scoring the cunt now.

14. TKO Chandler. He hurt Solis and piled on the pressure on the back of it. Solis never looked hurt and the ref never let it go too long with him not punching back. But no complaints from Solis so looks a decent stoppage. By all accounts Chandler had been walking through most of Solis's best shots so I think he had worn him down.

Seems a pretty comprehensive victory for the new WBA world bantamweight champion, Joltin Jeff Chandler

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Jeff Chandler vs Jorge Lujan WBA 31.01.1981

Chandler weighed in at 113.5lbs. Odd.

1. 10-9 Chandler, Getting off first and usually backing it up with one or two shots, Lujan really just looking for single counters and both having reasonable success.

2. 10-9 Chandler, Lujan seldom leads, the two times he does here, he misses. Chandler largely beating him to the first punch and when Lujan fires back Chandler insists on having the last say. Staggers Lujan with a nice check left hook when he over commits.

3. 10-9 Chandler scoring nice one twos, with quick hands. Got a few decent in fighting exchanges with Lujan busier, Chandler scored well to body with Lujan sneaking a few good uppercuts in.

4. 10-9 Chandler. Closer round, Jeff still having some success. Lujan used his jab a little more and started countering with the right of the top which looks like it will have more success than the left hook, Chandler keeps that right hand on his chin and Lujan is going to have a hard time countering Jeff throwing the right with Jeffs hand speed.

5. 10-9 Chandler, just that little bit more effective at range, used his left well throughout. Lujan did score a nice lead left hook early but missed with a couple later. Scrappy inside and not a lot of clean shots landed in the clinch. Commentary not happy with Lujans use of the head or holding the ropes. could make a case for Lujan winning one or two of the last few rounds

6. 9-10 Lujan. Ironically Chandler scored his best right hand of the fight, both guys landed good power shots that rocked the other mans head but I just felt Lujan landed slightly more with Jeff getting a bit wild and inaccurate in the second part of the round.

7. 10-10 Even. That was a poor round with not a lot of clean punching.

8. 10-9 Chandler. Back to throwing in 2's and 3's and not letting the fight stay on the inside. Lujan back to trying to pot shot and not looking effective at all

9. 10-9 Chandler. Much better round Chandler started well then a lot of the middle portion of the round fought in close with both guys willing to really work hard in there in an even exchange. Quite close to the round as both probably starting to tire

10. 9-10 Lujan. The commentary thought Chandler had one of his best rounds, I though both landed some decent shots in two way exchanges, but Lujan with the slightly better connect rate for me. Threw the right left and couple times and knocked Chandlers head back with the left each time.

11. 10-9 Chandler, fairly even round until I felt Chandler landed a couple gooid eft hooks late to perhaps just nick it.

12. 10-9 Chandler, Commentary called it well, Jeff using his legs better, on his toes, boxing behind the quick jab and getting out of range after he lands to stay out of those messy trades inside

13. 10-9 Chandler, another nicely controlled round from Chandler with him scoring well with the left, with jabs and hooks. Lujan back to throwing single shots and not having a lot of success now that Chandler is looking to close out the show without taking risks or pressing the pace.

14. 9-10 Lujan, big effort from him here, more shots thrown more aggression and he's the one showing the determination to have the last say in exchanges. Some good shots from Chandler too but taking risks he doesn't need to take to stay with his opponent. Gets caught swinging a couple times, he doesn't need these worries in the 14th

15. 10-9 Chandler. Good fight management from him here, probably got a bollocking between rounds after the 14th. Came out throwing single fast shouts and getting back out. When Lujan bores in, he pushes his head down, ties him up. Lujan loading up bombs late but Chandler too cute for that and he deserves this win.

147-139 Chandler on my card

The spoke of Chandler vs Pintor there and that should really be the fight we got considering Jeff made 10 defencesand Pintor 8.
Chandler and the WBA seemed to do a bit of repetition. Lujan lost to Solis, Solis lost to Chandler. Chandler then beats Lujan then Murata, then Solis again. then Murata again. We get a run of 4 unique opponents before losing to Muniz in a non-title affair, then Murata 3 before a repeat against Muniz for the title. Lot of the same fighters facing for the same title when there is another man sitting there with a strap.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Jeff Chandler vs Eijaro Murata 1 - WBA 05.04.1981

Another whole 15 rounder, this time it's 5 o'clock in the morning watching hard little cunts in Japan knocking fuck out of each other
It was scored a draw, let's see what I get

1. 8-10 Murata I'm scoring that a 2 point round, that is as clear a knockdown as you are likely to see. Murata probably edging the round ahead of that anyway.

2. 10-9 Chandler. Controlled the first half with the jab and defended well. Second half it got messy, tying up every time one of them tried to let a decent shot go.

3. 10-9 Chandler, He's quite good at doing enough to win rounds but just enough. He not a bad fighter to watch, he does let his hands go a bit but seldom really takes risks, tries to hurt or dominate an opponent, he doesn't get you on the egde of your seat.

4. 10-9 Chandler. He gets in, scores his 1, 2 maybe 3 shots quickly and ties up, covers up or gets out of dodge. It's effective and you can't knock him but there is zero desire to exchange shots.

5. 9-10 Murata. Using his jab to much better effect, stalking a little with Chandler content to stay outside and circle. Murata lands a right over the top, the best shot of the fight and gets a couple short flurries in late. Not a lot lands from them but give Chandler threw next to nothing this round, it is a clear Murata round

6. 9-10 Murata, very little to separate them here. Chandler sneaks a couple rights to the head, while Murata scored well to the body. Murata got a good fast flurry of body shots near the start of the round that was probably the stand out event

7. 10-9 Chandler, back to being quicker to the punch, would still like to see more from him, he follows most of his shots in to tie up so a fight can't really flow.

8. 9-10 Murata, when he gets his jab going he is a much more effective fighter, he drops his head and pushes it out, it's a long shot that creates space. and a couple times he moved in with the double jab and set the right hand up off it. He had been missing leading with the right earlier, with Chandler always poised to slip inside it.

9. 10-10 even, that was an awful round, very little clean work by either, lots of holding and hugging and missing. Last minute, Murata scored a few to the body and Jeff got a few cuffing head shots.

10. 10-9 Chandler. Fine margins here, this was a largely scrappy round again, Murata doing some decent body work again, Chandler scoring upstairs when they worked at range. There was very little in this, almost as close as the last (which I considered scoring to Murata on infighting) Almost tempted to give Murata the last to split these close rounds, but my score is cast now

11. 10-9 Chandler, starts well behind the jab, Murata tries to rush him and pummel the body in the corner. Chandler gets space again, lands a lovely left hook/right uppercut, his best shots of the fight, then unsuccessfully tries it again 4 more times. More charging it from Murata but not very effective with it.

12. 9-10 Murata. close round but Murata opting to throw with Chandler and just getting the edge in shots landed to the head. Throws a couple flurries with Chandler against the ropes to maybe just put a little daylight between them in the scoring

13. 10-9 Chandler. Lost count of the right hands he landed there. Scored it as a single shot catching Murata moving in, seemed to finish every exchange by dropping it over the top and when he landed the left, be it jab, hook or uppercut a right hand followed.

14. 10-9 Chandler. He's in the 14th round and still on the balls of his feet, always adjusting to keep that nice distance where the jab is there for him when he wants it and just needs a short step back to get out of range. But it's judging Murata's advances that is impressive for me, Murata is charging when he comes forward and time after time Jeff it picking him off. I mentioned the right hand last round and we see it again but he is mixing in uppercuts with either hand and when Murata gets there, he's tied up the ref splits it and Jeff goes back to doing what he does.

15. 10-9 Chandler. I was worried with the way Jeff fought those last two rounds that he was fighting like a man that felt he had this under control and just had to coast to a win. Knew Murata would come out swinging and he didn't disappoint but Jeff came out willing to fight and I felt he landed the cleaner punches in a very good first 2 minutes of the round. It got ragged near the ned but I felt Chandler earned the point in the final round and without counting up I think that should give him it

144- 141 Chandler, Yep, he didn't actually need that last one on my card but in real life he really did.
I wouldn't go screaming robbery because the Japanese fighter got the draw in Japan, that was a close fight with a few rounds I could have scored differently, in either direction. I think if I scored that again, i'd still likely find it in Jeffs favour, perhaps closer, maybe a round or so wider, as I liked him boxing. But Murata was more aggressive at times and that might have impressed the judges. I scored a couple where Jeff was doing just enough then tying up when Murata tried to rough him up inside.
No great complaints at the draw. He'll get 2 more chances to put that right though

7 of Chandlers next 10 fights end in stoppage, I can't wait to see Jeff the banger.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Jeff Chandler vs Julian Solis WBA 25.07.1981

1. 10-9 Chandler. Good busy opening round with both guys setting a good pace and letting the shots flow. Chandler landing a good percentage of his shots but he ate a few too. Interesting to see if they keep this tempo up. His experience in Japan must have rubbed of, Jeff keeps bowing when they get split.

2. 10-9 Chandler. He really has found gears I haven't seen from him before, letting his hands go pretty relentlessly. He does catch a few though and a one two from Solis catches Jeff swinging early and probably the best of the fight. I felt Jeff did just enough to nick this round though

3. 10-9 Chandler. Not as good a round, Chandler does pick up the pace toward the end though. Still Solis does seem to catch him between punches on occasion, if he were more of a hitter he might do some damage

4. 9-10 Solis. Sugar Ray calls it, the overhand right from Solis finding the target on Chandler who leaves the gap with his left hand out of position. Chandler probably landed more overall but Solis did score in the clinch, to the body and those right hands were the difference for me.

5. 9-10 Solis. Poor round, lot of clinching and Chandler not letting nearly as many shots go. Solis having success with the left hook now, Chandler maybe scored his best shots in close to the body.

6. 9-10 Solis. Much better round, still fighting in a phonebox but letting their hands go far more and less holding. Solis moves his head well and rolls side to side, letting compact hooks go. Chandler has a good spell late on but clear Solis round

7. KO Chandler. Another cracking round, had Chandler ahead with both fighting hard and landing their fair share but Chandler delivers a sweet straight right through the middle of Solis guard that drops him hard and you know straight away he isn't beating the count. Excellent finish

This was a different Chandler and I hope to see more of this guy. Much better tempo, good action and not afraid to come through a shot. His trainer might not like seeing him hit as much but it made for a far better spectacle. And a lovely right hand to finish

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Lupe Pintor vs Jovito Renfigo WBC 26.07.1981
Lupe had a defence before this against Jose Felix Uziga, a relatively lowly ranked Argentine that took Pintor the distance. Lupe won a fairly wide UD

Lupe Pintor 118 lbs beat Jovito Rengifo 117 lbs by TKO at 1:21 in round 8 of 15
Notes
  • Fight was televised live on CBS.
  • Pintor received $65,000 and Rengifo received $5,000. (Reading Eagle, p.21 7/27/81).

1. 9-10 Rengifo. Pintor starting slow as usual, Rengifo trying the assert himself in the bout with early pressure and putting fast hard shots together, doesn't look a hurtful puncher though

2. 9-10 Rengifo Good fast pace, long straight shots. They billed him as a mover but he is toe to toe and letting them go. He probably wants to show he is unafraid and trying to steal an early advantage, while Pintors relaxed low output style probably invites this early in a fight

3. 10-9 Pintor. Possibly just stole it late, he landed some hard shots throughout and picked up his pace as he went, culminating in a very good finish to round 3. Renfigo had been scoring very well early and you can't write off his power, he did rock Pintor with a couple, Pintor far too willing to walk through punches when he isn't working. This could have gone either way

4. 10-9 Pintor, it's his kind of round now, he's working steadily, constantly in range and Rengifo can feel hius power and strength and you can tell it's denting his confidence. Still trying to stand his ground but it must be discouraging hitting this bugger with everything and not putting a dent in him and he just comes at you throwing hard shots

5. 10-9 Pintor, close to a 10-8 round, he hit him with everything to head and body, with real power he hurt him a few times. But he tired late in the round and let Rengifo into it a little.

6. 9-10 Rengifo fought back into it well and landed some cracking shots. Pintor landed some bombs but couldn't maintain the pace, tired from the previous exertions

7. 10-9 Pintor, another cracking round with both scoring big. Pintor got his steam back and was able to up the pace a little and landed some crackers, he is the natural big puncher in there, but Rengifo is putting everything into a lot of those shots too. Both guys have outstanding punch resistance

8. TKO Pintor, after all the big shots he does him with a jab that was half caught on the gloves. Mad finish when you consider what this man has walked through but he did look genuinely staggered by it and he got back up quick enough but he was on very unsteady legs and his eyes looked gone so the ref quite rightly waved it off

67-66 Pintor entering the 8th. This was a good performance from Pintor, he looks improved and put shots together well. He still started slow and he is blessed with the ability to take rounds off and simply walk through shots. His chin is remarkable.
The guy he was fighting was a smaller man and ex fly weight but he threw with speed and power and put everything into a lot of his shots, he was no light handed fighter. He came to fight and put in a good showing, again Pintor is no master boxer and can be hit and Rengifo showed that once again. Some of the greater champions I've watched in this thread would either have hit too hard for him to simply walk through or might have consistently out boxed him as he is quite basic.

But by fuck is he hard, takes a shot, keeps coming, good punch technique and natural bullish strength and power.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Lupe Pintor vs Hurricane Teru WBC 22.09.1981

1. 10-9 Pintor. An odd first round for Lupe, largely down to Teru's inactivity. Pintor scoring a good variety of left hand shots

2. 9-10 Teru. Lupe seemed to be controlling things nicely with his feet, bouncing back and forth trying to draw shots to counter, but Teru backed him into a counter and let a few shots go and hurt him with a left hook, he knew he had him and piled shots on with Pintor trapped in the corner, it's the most trouble I've seen Lupe in for a few fights. Lupe gets out and things level off but that's a big Teru round

3. 10-9 Pintor, few swings in momentum this round, with Teru being a game little fucker. But Pintor scores a few right good shots, mainly long straight shots as this is being fought at arms length, not usually where Lupe tends to fight but he is scoring well with the straight right that isn't usually a weapon for him

4. 10-9 Pintor, this is a good fight, seeing lots of little improvements from Pintor. He's on the balls of his feet nipping in with little feints trying to draw shots to counter, instead of plodding forward waiting for his chance to punch. He is also showing a willingness to move backwards to get out of range and occasionally moving his head. The jab is effective and that straight right while the left hook and the body shots and uppercuts are still working for him. And after all this from Pintor, Teru is very much in this fight and finished really strong

5. 9-10 Teru. Like I said a good little fighter, always on his toes, perpetual head movement, when he sees an opening he reacts quick and moves in fast without getting too close and smothering his work. And when he feels he lands and maybe hurts Pintor, he lets his hands go swiftly with good variety, this is a good match up here and neither man has had a particularly bad round

6. 9-10 Teru. A bit of a chess match early with Teru peppering with the jab early, Pintor starts timing a nice spearing jab through the middle in the second minute but the third Teru gets to work two handed and seems to hurt Pintor again, really getting the Japanese fans worked up

7. 10-9 Pintor, really tough round to score, Pintor just landing the better quality through a round that swung back and forth with both taking their turns to throw and land. Teru did have a real go in the last 20 seconds but not sure much landed to give him the round

8. 10-9 Pintor, another really close action round, with Teru starting the better fighter and Pintor taking over with hard straight shots late in the round. This is normally where I would expect Pintor to take over, especially against such a busy little fighter but Pintor has put more into the earlier rounds than usual himself

9.10-9 Pintor, It was starting to look like it was going to be the third straight round I'd given very narrowly to Pintor, but I don't feel as bad not giving Teru a share now as Pintor landed a cracking 3 shot combination late on. He is starting to consistently push Teru back now and Teru's success is in spurts as he tries to keep Pintor off

10. 10-9 Pintor, another one that he takes narrowly but still think a clear Pintor round. Not sure if he has done this all fight, but I just noticed that Pintor with this light-footed style, takes a little pause before he sets himself to punch, it looks a bit of a tell, don't think Teru has picked up on it.

11. 9-10 Teru. Really good round, Teru started well, mobile feet and quick hands still, hitting and pivoting. Pintor had a spell where he took control but Teru had another one of those spells where he really let rip and had Pintor looking a little unsteady briefly. Was fairly even late on, with Pintor landing one hard right hand but nothing that matched that flurry of activity from the Hurricane.

12. 10-9 Pintor. Lot of leather thrown again, both still looking quite fresh. The edge to Pintor here in accuracy and power, that ramrod jab from Pintor is bordering on a power punch, it's added another dimension to his game, not that the left hook was a bad shot for him.

13. 10-8 Pintor. This was getting close to a 2 point round before the knockdown, Teru threw nothing but single jabs for the first 2 minutes and his movement looking slugging, Pintor moved methodically forward, more like himself, connecting hard with his single shots and throwing in 2's and 3's. Never rushed just ploughing through Teru. Towards the end you could see Teru's head rocking back until he eventually crumbled just before the bell

14. 10-9 Pintor. Got to feel for Teru here. Love when guys come out energised after a knockdown, determined to win the next round and that is what Teru did for the majority of this round, working hard and swinging and landing plenty. But Pintor will be rushed by no man and he just walked through it, picking the odd clever little counter, hurting the ever tiring Teru. Right up till the last seconds I was still giving the round to Teru but Lupe started to march through him and had him as good as out on the ropes. The ref looked like he was trying to split them 5 seconds before the bell, when Teru looked barely conscious, which was a bit suss.

15. KO Pintor. You are fighting away from home in Japan, you've had a busy little fighter in your face all night and you don't know how the scorecards look, You've basically had the guy out the last two rounds with seconds to go. What you going to do? Pintor walks him down from the opening bell, steadily picking holes in him at first but around the 50 second mark he turns the screw and starts really putting the shots together and shortly after he has Teru reeling again. Left hook, right hook, uppercut then two left hook and Teru collapses. Never looks like getting up, the ref counts him out and the towel comes in. Good nights work from Pintor.

136-129 Pintor after 14.
We saw a different side to Pintor and probably all of the things he needed to improve from previous fights he did here, and all that along with all the good stuff he brought before.
His movement was improved and used his feet so much better. He was active from the opening bell and never let his opponent steal 2 or 3 rounds at the start of the bout and we saw some much better straight shots, with his jab being used more in this fight than all his previous bouts put together and it is a good solid spearing shot.

Those assets came with some draw backs though, his fast start saw him in a bit of a tear up in the second round where he got hurt before he was properly warmed into the fight. Yesterdays Pintor isn't getting into that.
His movement worked for him but there was those little tells, bouncing on the balls of his feet is learned, you can tell it doesn't come naturally to him. Contrast Teru double jabbing on the move or hooking and pivoting.
Watching Pintor, he still wants to throw flat footed. So the spring was there for mobility but there was an obvious pause when he planted his feet to throw and I don't think Teru really picked up on that.

But minor criticisms on what was a very good performance from Pintor against a game and pretty skilful opponent. Pintors physicality still played a major role in the outcome but there was more to this Lupe Pintor.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Jeff Chandler vs Eijaro Murata 2 - WBA 10.12.1981

1. 10-9 Chandler, scoring with nice fast single shots with left and right, some landing some just falling short though. You know the one time Murata lands clean because Jeff fires back with three shots.

2. 10-9 Chandler, he has the longer reach and quicker hands and I don't see that Murata has the timing or footwork not negate either of them. Jeff boxing nicely, pacing himself and not taking too many risks and really limiting Murata's openings. Murata really needs to force his way inside

3. 10-9 Chandler. He's better in most departments here and Murata isn't doing anything to draw him out of his comfort zone. Jeff, given time and space, is a really nice neat boxer with a tight defence and he's starting to mix up the shot selection, so they're coming from all angles now.

4. 10-9 Chandler, much closer round, Murata starting to let both hands go more and getting some body shots off inside, albeit a little predictable at times. Jeff still boxing well and holding his own in the close exchanges but a better round

5. 10-9 Chandler. More variety to his work. Murata's formula is jab to try and set up the right cross, then bang hooks to the body inside. Jeff has thrown the sneak right hand with great effect, he's mixed up different combinations of hooks and uppercuts from the outside.

6. 10-9 Chandler, another round like the previous 5, Jeff better in most departments, scored a jab then right uppercut that unbalanced Eijiro. Murata needs to really up[ the tempo, get rough and work his way inside if he is going to stand any chance here. And He's given himself a mountain to climb, with Chandler not even having to exert himself

7. 10-9 Chandler. A close round with Chandler starting well, picking some good head shots early on. Murata does get inside twice and flurries to the body both times. This is what he needs to do, but for me he needs to do more of it. The commentary gave it as "Murata's best round". It was, but didn't maintain the attack, so not quite enough on my card.

8. 9-10 Murata. I'll give him that one, Chandler was very ineffective in that first minute, both landing some good shots from there out. Probably liked Jeff's lead right most of all but Murata shades it for being consistent over the 3 minutes

9. 10-9 Chandler, good shot selection and accuracy make this look fairly one sided and with that reach and hand speed, as long as Jeff keeps it at the range he wants to fight from it's complete control from him. Murata is allowing that to happen, so I don't see how he turns it round, very competent boxing display

10. 10-9 Chandler. Murata started so well here, pushing Chandler to the ropes and throwing in bunches, but Jeff tucks up well and takes a lot of it on the arms. Murata can't sustain it past the first minute and Jeff takes control again. Would have been hard to call had Jeff not landed a stunning right hand that had Murata wobbled and holding near the end

11. 10-9 Chandler, Won this one narrowly, giving Murata some chances to let his shots go, Chandler controlling in spells but too easily distracted moaning to the ref. Murata has punched low a couple times and now Jeff is complaining about the head coming in, but he needs to focus on his boxing and let the ref do the refereeing

12. 10-9 Chandler, these are getting closer, both throwing a similar number but Chandler slips and blocks more with his snappy shots getting through more cleanly. Even late on there is zero telegraphing of his shots, they fire straight out from the chin at take the quickest route to the target.

13. TKO Chandler. Did it with some cracking uppercuts, the first knockdown came from a single uppercut up through the middle that Murata didn't see. For there Jeff keeps looking for it, he sets it up different ways, left hook/right uppercut, jab/left uppercut. But very few of them miss the target. He properly folds him the second time and it's surprising that the ref lets Murata continue, but he gives it a few seconds and Murata basically collapses into Chandlers arms, part rocked, part exhausted. A fine finish to top off a polished performance, much more definitive than the first fight

Jeff looked better here, arguably than any of the bouts I've seen so far. He is a very accomplished boxer for someone with no amateur career and has improved since getting his hands on a title. He primarily comes forward, but can box on the back foot, his defence is very tight and seldom gets hit clean and his punch variety was impressive here, possibly only neglecting the body shots in this fight. Still thinks he likes to fight at his own pace and doesn't ever seem to find 5th gear but I'm not sure he needs to. A similar attribute to Pintor who also refuses to be rushed in fights.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Jeff Chandler vs Miguel Iriarte

"Jeff Chandler 118 lbs beat Miguel Iriarte 118 lbs by TKO at 2:20 in round 9 of 15

Jeff Chandler won two fights in the same day - and the second victory was the more enjoyable for the WBA bantamweight champion.

Chandler's first battle on Wednesday was with the scales. He weighed in at 119 1/4 pounds that morning for his fight with Miguel Irarte of Panama and had two hours to get down to the class limit of 118. A half-hour before the deadline, he weighed in at 117 3/4 to Iriarte's 117 1/2.

The second fight lasted less than 27 minutes.

Chandler seemed dubious of Iriarte's high ranking and wasn't pleased about the WBA threats to strip him of the title if he didn't fight the Panamanian.

Chandler made Iriarte pay, peppering him with head shots and taunts and playing to the crowd before stopping the challenger at 2:20 of the ninth round of the scheduled 15-rounder at Resorts International.

"They had a clown in the ring with me, and so I clowned," said the unbeaten Chandler, who made his sixth title defense. "They put a novice in the ring with a world champion. That's not right."

"When I found out he couldn't fight... wow," said Chandler.

The 26-year-old champion took control of the fight in the third round spearing the 27-year-old challenger with with several sharp left jabs and hooks.

In the sixth, Chandler ripped a cut on the bridge of Iriarte's nose and landed seven or eight crisp head shots with either hand.

Iriarte got a respite for a little more than two minutes late in the seventh when Chandler's right glove split and had to be changed.

In the ninth, Chandler wobbled Iriarte with a right to the head and backed him up with a left hook. The champion pounded home a 10-punch barrage to the head, then after being bulled across the ring by the desperate Iriarte, landed eight more blows, climaxed by a right to the jaw.

Iriarte began to fall, but kept himself up by grabbing a strand of the ropes. However, referee Joe Cortez stopped the fight.

"I respect the judgment of the referee," said Iriarte, who also complained that Cortez let Chandler get away with butting and thumbing. Chandler felt that Cortez let Iriarte get away with butting and said it was a butt that opened a nick over his left eye.

• Source: Schuyler Jr. Ed. Chandler Handles Scales and Iriarte. The New London Day (1982, Oct. 28) p.33. Article"

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
So the fate of the WBC title after the summer of 1982 is an interesting and confusing tale.

Boxrec were reporting up until recently that Pintor was stripped after being in a motorcycle accident and that Alberto Davila faced Kiko Bejines for the vacant title and their bout was listed under the lineage of the WBC bantamweight title.
Today I look and it isn't. The site now states that Pintor vacated to move up to Super bantamweight (which he did indeed do, facing Wilfredo Gomes shortly after this) and that Davila vs Bejines was for the interim title, with
But a quick google tells me that Pintor did in fact break his jaw in a motorcycle accident and that Davila vs Bejines was sanctioned for the title

However, Pintor did face Lujan and them Gomez for the title, both up at 123 and 122lb respectively at the end of 1982, with Davila and Bejines not facing off until July 1983. So I dare say that with a bit of proper digging, I would likely find that Boxrec's recent amendment was accurate. How bizarre that they just changed it on the day I was going to post the fight.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
The WBC bantamweight title would be involved in more misfortune.

In 1980 Johnny Owen had died after being stopped in the 12th round of his WBC bantamweight challenge to Lupe Pintor at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles. Lupe's next defence was against Alberto Davila

In 1982 up at lightweight, Duek Koo Kim had succumb to injuries suffered losing to Ray Mancini in the 14th round, moving the WBC to change all title bouts from 15 rounds to 12.

Only 10 months after the change in ruling, Alberto Davila would stop Kiko Bejines in the 12th round, for the same WBC (interim) title at the same Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles. And Kiko Bejines would later die of injuries sustained in that bout.
Bejines wife was awaiting the birth of their first child when it happened.

A very dark time for the sport of boxing and a series of fairly sinister coincidences.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Lupe Pintor vs Jorge Lujan - superbantam weight non title fight . 23.09.1982

Lupe Pintor 123 lbs beat Jorge Lujan 124 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
Pintor knocked down Lujan in the 6th round.

Source: Los Angeles Times

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Wilfredo Gomez vs Lupe Pintor WBC super bantamweight title 03.12.1982

Lupe Pintor 121 lbs lost to Wilfredo Gomez 121 lbs by TKO at 2:44 in round 14 of 15

Notes
  • The third round was named 1982 Round of the Year by The Ring.
  • About a week before the fight, promoter Don King convinced the boxers to accept purse reductions due to lagging ticket sales. Gomez and Pintor, who had signed to fight for $750,000 each, took a pay cut of $125,000. The main event fighters, Thomas Hearns and Wilfred Benitez, who had been guaranteed $1.5 million a piece, received $250,000 less. [2]
  • Initially, promoters hoped to attract a crowd of 40,000 to the Superdome in New Orleans. However, estimated attendance was just 12,000.
  • The fight was shown on HBO, pay-per-view and at 150 closed circuit locations. [3]
  • In a 2010 article for ESPN.com titled "A look at the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry," writer Graham Houston selected Gomez-Pintor as the most memorable Mexico-Puerto Rico showdown ever. [4]

Dec. 3, 1982: Gomez vs Pintor
By Robert Portis | The Fight City | August 25, 2015

On this date back in 1982, Wilfredo Gomez and Lupe Pintor helped write another thrilling chapter in the long saga of glorious violence that is the boxing rivalry between Puerto Rico and Mexico. No list of the best fights between those two great pugilistic nations, nor of the most exciting clashes of the 1980s, is complete without this classic: Gomez vs Pintor, a barn-burner from the opening bell, testing both warriors to the utmost and leaving fight fans limp after almost 14 rounds of back-and-forth barbarism.

Gomez of Puerto Rico, one of the greatest super-bantamweights of all-time, was rebounding from a crushing upset loss the year before to Hall of Fame Mexican featherweight champ Salvador Sanchez. He had already recorded a busy 1982, scoring five wins including three successful defenses of his world title. He knew capping the year with a win over Mexican bantamweight champ Pintor would go a long way to restoring his fearsome reputation after his thrashing at the hands of Sanchez.

Mexico’s Pintor, having enjoyed a series of title wins since his controversial victory over champion Carlos Zarate in 1979, was in search of bigger game. A victory over Gomez meant a huge step up in terms of reputation and earning power and Pintor was determined to win his second divisional title. A showdown between dominant champions, astonishingly this guaranteed thriller was not the main event on Don King’s “Carnival of Champions” card at the Louisiana Superdome; instead Thomas Hearns vs Wilfred Benitez would serve as the anti-climax after Gomez and Pintor had waged their unforgettable war. In retrospect how could anyone have expected Hearns vs Benitez to not be upstaged by some Latin “macho” fisticuffs, Mexico vs Puerto Rico style?

Gomez got off to a fast start, jolting Pintor with an uppercut in the opening round and dominating the second. It appeared Gomez had seized the initiative and his higher punch output along with his advantages in size and power would carry the day. But the third round, one of the great action rounds of the year, saw Pintor reverse the momentum. After absorbing a shellacking on the ropes for a full minute, the challenger abruptly took the play from Gomez, landing with both hands. The two traded toe-to-toe for the rest of the round, Pintor getting the better of it.

And once Pintor began connecting, the flesh around Gomez’s eyes immediately began to swell, reminiscent of “Bazooka’s” battle with Sanchez. Still, Gomez never stopped attacking, taking the fourth round on pure aggression, before dropping the fifth to Pintor who stayed off the ropes in that round and used his left hand effectively. The next three rounds belonged to Gomez who continued to attack, expending more energy than the challenger as he sought to overwhelm the smaller man. By contrast, Pintor fought patiently, waiting for opportunities to come. And come they did.

The match was already a fast-paced, all-action war, but the real drama began in the later rounds. The ninth and tenth belonged to Pintor, who appeared to have more zip both in his legs and his punches than the tiring champion. It was now clear that the longer the contest went, the worse it would be for Gomez as his face continued to puff up, his corner frantically applying ice between rounds. But time appeared to be in Pintor’s corner as the back-and-forth action only intensified.

Round eleven was another slugfest, both men having their moments but Gomez’s edge in power taking it. Pintor’s resilience was now emerging as the story of the fight as, astonishingly, he appeared unmarked and amazingly fresh after eleven rounds of a brutal battle. He needed all of his toughness to survive the next round as a desperate Gomez unloaded everything he had in a bid to finish the fight, but at the end of the round Pintor was still there, firing back, stunning Gomez with a left hook at the bell and “Bazooka” had to be helped back to his corner.

Had it been scheduled for 12 rounds, the champion surely would have taken a decision, but there were three to go and Gomez looked to have nothing left. Round thirteen was the slowest of the match and with the Puerto Rican’s eyes now almost completely closed, Pintor appeared to have the momentum. Which made the finish all the more surprising.

In round 14, a frantic Gomez once again attacked with all he had and finally managed to inflict some serious hurt on the tough Mexican. The champion, who could barely see and later confessed to be fighting strictly on instinct, struck home with a vicious left to the body and a right to the head to score the first knockdown of the fight. Amazingly, Pintor rose but he was finished. That left to the body had decided the contest. Gomez chased a hurt Pintor to the ropes where the Mexican went down again after taking a hard left to the jaw and the referee immediately halted what still stands as one of the greatest of all the great Mexico vs Puerto Rico battles. [5]

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Get a bit of fill in for Alberto Davila, who we've seen before and is up next. After losing in a WBC challenege top Lupe Pintor, he won 6 and had a NC on the run up to his shot at the vacant title against Bejines.
The stand out win was another man that featured recently, in the battle of the Alberto's (sounds better than Tweetie vs Super-fly) @Super_Fly_Sam

Alberto Davila vs Alberto Sandoval

Alberto Davila 119 lbs beat Alberto Sandoval 120 lbs by PTS in round 10 of 10
  • Date: 1982-11-18
  • "Albert Davila, the WBC's No. 1 contender, erased any doubt about his ranking Thursday night at the Olympic Auditorium when he scored an easy unanimous 10 round decision over a game, but outmatched Alberto Sandoval. Southern California boxing experts and fight fans had been asking for this fight since Davila and Sandoval were working their way through the Pomona amateur ranks. Davila may have put an end to the rivalry with his first good combination in a 1st round that drew blood from the nose of Sandoval. In the 4th round, it was more of the same and toward the end of the round, Davila had Sandoval in trouble. The rest of the fight consisted of Davila finding Sandoval's jaw with his right hand and Sandoval trying to keep Davila away with ineffective jabs." -Santa Ana Orange County Register
    Pre-fight comment
    • "In some ways, this fight is more important than a championship." -Albert Davila, commenting on their long-brewing Pomona, California rivalry

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Jeff Chandler vs Hector Cortez - Non title bout over 10 rounds

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Jeff Chandler vs Oscar Muniz - Jeff tastes his first defeat in another non-title affair over 10

"
Jeff Chandler 122 lbs lost to Oscar Muniz 122 lbs by SD in round 10 of 10

Jeff Chandler, the World Boxing Association bantamweight champion, suffered the first defeat of his career, losing to unranked Oscar Muniz on a split decision in a 10-round non-title, super-bantamweight bout at the Sands Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Chandler (31-1-2), of Philadelphia, led with his left jab and allowed Muniz (35-3-3) of Pico Rivera, Calif., to land hard right shots to the body and head from close range.

Muniz, bleeding from two cuts around the left eye for eight rounds, won 5-4-1 on the scorecards of Judges Tom Kaczmarek and Phil Newman. Judge Frank Brunette scored it 5-4-1 for Chandler. Each fighter weighed 121 3/4 pounds.

Chandler, who is not ranked as a super bantamweight, said he will continue to pursue the 122-pound title because he has trouble making the 118-pound bantamweight limit. Chandler took the fight on one-week's notice and was paid $100,000.

• Source: "Chandler Loses Split Decision" The New York Times (1983, July 24) Article
  • This bout was arranged at short notice when ABC-TV's plans to air the tape of the Michael Spinks v Eddie Mustafa Muhammad light heavyweight championship bout were scuttled when Mustafa Muhammad came in over the 175 lb. limit leaving a programming void.
Post fight comments

• "They say you learn something every fight, and I had never been in with a talker. I just didn't listen to him. My right hand was the key to the fight. Those body shots count just as much as the head punches he threw. I would like to fight him again, but only for the title." -Oscar Muniz
  • "They out and out robbed me. I beat him all over the ring, but he ran like a thief - like he was taking something." -Jeff Chandler"

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Alberto Davila vs Kiko Bejines
Little bit disappointed I couldn't find a bit more footage of Kiko or indeed much of a tribute, as you would expect to find for a fighter who lost his life in the ring. RIP Kiko.

download.jpg

"Alberto Davila 118 lbs beat Kiko Bejines 118 lbs by KO at 0:33 in round 12 of 12
Vacant WBC Bantamweight Title

Photo #2, Photo #3

"At the end of the 11th round the score was even on one card with the other judges having Bejines ahead by two points and five points. Davila cut loose at the start of the last round and decked Bejines whose head struck the middle rope. He was struggling to his feet when referee Waldemar Schmidt reached the count of 10 at 33 seconds of the round. Suddenly Bejines fell back. He was taken to hospital and died after an operation. His death came three days after the fight" (The Square Ring)

The WBC title had been declared vacant after reigning champ, Lupe Pintor, was unable to defend after suffering a serious automobile accident."

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
I decided to run this up until 1983 to capture the tragedy's that befell the WBC title and those who fought for it and to tie up Jeff Chandlers career.

There is no footage of Davila in his next non title bout against Julio Rodriguez. That takes the WBC beyond 1983, his next defence (or arguably first full title bout now that Pintor hgas officially relinquished the title) is in 1984 against Enrique Sanchez before Davila fights 4 non title fights between 85 and 86, all over 10 rounds.
He then loses it to Miguel Lora.

Jeff has two more rematches to deal with in Murata 3 and avenging his non-title loss to Muniz before losing it to Alberto Sandovals younger brother Richie Sandoval.

I think I'll pick up the rest of the story up to Lora and Sandoval respectively just to tie it up.