Davie's 60-86 bantamweight era thread

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
Must be the biggest* fight between two fighters from Belfast.

*No idea how well attended or how much talk there was around this bout but I can’t think of two Belfast fighters to fight each other who have also fought for the title.

I thought as much myself but my knowledge of NI boxing is limited.

Bogotazo

Administrator
Staff member
Country Flag
Palestine
Got one here for @Bogotazo the translator.

This footage is claiming to be relating to the Leo Espinosa fight of 59 and references Jose Smecca.
The footage, certainily of the interview and training seems far more modern.

View attachment 12261

Portuguese but I can get nearly all of it.

“Stretch of just a few seconds extracted from the documentary Breaking Face. Eder commented on the fight against Jose Smecca during an exhibition from images (scenes) from the documentary, as well as fotos of the fight against Espinosa, Filipino fighter, and of fotos of Smecca that don’t look like the fighter from the video...it’s 99% guaranteed that this fight that appears in the video is of Eder Joffre vs Leo Espinosa. Eder was able to defeat the Filipino but didn’t get the knockout, a rare thing in his career full of great knockouts. Small showing of Jofre training at the beginning as well.”

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Eder Jofre Jose Medel,
Jofre starting in the far left corner in the black trunks with with trim. Medel with the white trunks with red (black to you and I) stripe.

1. 10-9 Jofre feeling out, cirling clockwise on the outside, leaning in over his front foot, jabbing away and making Medel miss with the upperbody pivot. Looks to be measuring something that doesn't quite come.

12. 10-9 Jofre, the jab is largely pawed out, measuring more than punching, initially looking for quick left hooks but two handed assaults shortly follow. Has a nice long right, just a little arc in it that you wouldn't call it a straight, a hook or an overhand

123. They have a weird way of numbering rounds, I thought they jumped straight to the 12th.
9-10 Jofre. Real battle for position here, Eder coming forward now, Medel wants to be the aggressor. Both trying to spin off the ropes and trap the other. Eder maybe won the 'generalship' game but he missed wild early and Medel sunk in some good shots in that round.

1234. 10-9 Jofre. He's boxing well, a disruptive jab and he's an excellent long puncher and moves well. Looks a powerful sharp puncher. Medel can't get off here.

12345.10-9 Jofre. That was one of the beat rounds I've watched in some time. Medel comes out rushing and swinging, attacking body then head. Jofre shows willingness to go with him but Medel is leading early, catched Jofre swinging with his chin in the air. Turns into an inside war and Jofre starts lifting his head with uppercuts. By the end if the round the ref could have pulled Medel out, I think Jofre was expecting it at points.

123456. 10-9 Jofre. Quiet round as Medel looks to survive and Jofre looking to take a breather. But it's in rounds like this where you aren't watching for the punches, that you see the intelligence in Eder's work, taking looks, different angles, probing looking for the next opening, Medel just looking out for what is coming next.

1234567. 10-9 Jofre. Bag of tricks with that left hand, he's throwing low sweeping hooks, if Medel crouthmch to come in he's eating it but Jofre is looking to sweep away the lead hand to open him up. Toward the end he gets the right through twice for his efforts.

12345678. 10-9 Jofre, quiet start but starts to show off a repertoire as it gets into the second half, lots of different clever shots and combinations. A very complete fighter.

123456789. 10-9 Jofre. I think. Another out and out war. Jofre attacks the body early, taking it inside he lays it on thick. But Medel comes back hard, trying to show Jofre he's gone to quick. Medel looks like he might just be drawing back into the round when Jofre almost stops him with a right. Might be after the bell, the audio is out of sync.

12345678910. KO. Jofre goes for the finish and you can see he keeps throwing the double jab, dropping his weight over his right foot and coming over with the right cross, it lands all round. In the end it's actually a right, left , right that gets him and it's a heavy shot that crumples Medel.

89-82 Jofre. Well this is early in his career, pre-title eliminator and he looks the complete fighter. Gives you very little without being a defensive fighter, sharp accurate heavy puncher, good footwork going forward and back and natural head movement. Happy on the outside and opts himself to take the fight up close too.

Medel had spells but only when Jofre let him fight his fight and even then, Jofre out hustled him more often that not.

Terrific performance against a fighter that faced the best all through his career.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Portuguese but I can get nearly all of it.

“Stretch of just a few seconds extracted from the documentary Breaking Face. Eder commented on the fight against Jose Smecca during an exhibition from images from the documentary, as well as fotos of the fight against Espinosa, Filipino fighter, and of fotos of Smecca that don’t look like the fighter from the video...it’s 99% guaranteed that this fight that appears in the video is of Eder Joffre vs Leo Espinosa. Eder was able to defeat the Filipino but didn’t get the knockout, a rare thing in his career full of great knockouts. Small showing of Jofre training at the beginning as well.”

You're going to come in useful here. Can you do Japanese too?

Must be the biggest* fight between two fighters from Belfast.

*No idea how well attended or how much talk there was around this bout but I can’t think of two Belfast fighters to fight each other who have also fought for the title.
Yep,got to be. And I think the general consensus was that Caldwell would win and a little bit of a shock when he didn't. I think it was a cut but I might just have a look to see how significant that was.

Country Flag
United States of America
For a couple of years Id go Olivares. But Jofre had the longevity. Didn't he have ages off and then come back and win a title. Was it Saldivar?
He won the Featherweight title against Jose Legra. I believe Jofre’s final fight was against Saldivar, who was in his second comeback and well shot by then.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
He won the Featherweight title against Jose Legra. I believe Jofre’s final fight was against Saldivar, who was in his second comeback and well shot by then.

That was his final title fight, he was stripped after it for not defending against Alfredo Marcano.

But Jofre fought on to 1976, another 7 fights after Saldivar and won them all.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Found a little more early footage of Jofre.
1959, slightly out of chronological order again but here is a snippet vs Gianni Zuddas

Eder Jofre vs Gianni Zuddas
Zuddas looks a very nice little mover, he seems to glide with barely any noticeable movement from his feet, but the little Italian looks tiny in there and Jofre knows it as he bludgeons his opponent with heavy swinging shots. No need for finesse here.

Eder Jofre vs Danny Kid
Kid a far better physical match for Jofre and he he backs him up and comes at him throwing with power and confidence. Jofre starts slipping and countering accurately and it's lefts that drop Danny Kid twice here. Nice contrast between these two videos from only a month and a half apart in 1959

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Eder Jofre

Before moving on with his bantamweight title reign, let's get the stats, the thoughts of the expects and the back story.

The official record -
https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/11505

The Boxrec Biog -
https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Eder_Jofre

The expert account, well worth a read -
http://www.boxingmonthly.com/all-time-top-tens/e/

The Wiki -
https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/11505

Interested to read he was a vegetarian.

Kyle McLachlan (flea) wrote of him being one of these fighters that were unlucky not to exist in a strong era. I often wonder if someone who is so dominant for a prolonged period, makes his weight class look weak? You can't fight fellow champions if you are sitting on the belts, you can't be famed for competitive fights against famous rivals if you are wiping the floor with everyone you meet. I sometimes wonder if we put down guys like Louis, Monzon, Foster, Holmes, Klitschko and Golovkin because they made their opponents look ordinary and don't allow anyone to become a true challenge?

Last edited:
I had a little sneaky check as I was pretty sure, from my own experience, that Jofre was older than Saldivar and definitely older than Legra. They were in fact born in the same year. And Jofre was SEVEN years older than both, which is pretty significant. I remember both from their bouts with Howard Winstone. Two different styles and physiques. Legra 4 inches taller than Jofre. Taking all the things into consideration as well as him moving up in weight, what a talent Jofre must have been.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
I watched a bit of Saldivar a couple years back. The fights with Winstone were brilliant style clashes.

Saldivar was a fantastic fight but he really did peak young. He retired at 24 after Winstone and I have spoke to a few that reckon he was never the same after THAT layoff.

In 71 he had another 2 year + layoff and he was definitely done by the time he faced Jofre at 30. It's mad when you contrast that with Jofres longevity,

I watched a bit of Saldivar a couple years back. The fights with Winstone were brilliant style clashes.

Saldivar was a fantastic fight but he really did peak young. He retired at 24 after Winstone and I have spoke to a few that reckon he was never the same after THAT layoff.

In 71 he had another 2 year + layoff and he was definitely done by the time he faced Jofre at 30. It's mad when you contrast that with Jofres longevity,
Yes interesting. BUT I always compare little guys in those days to those of today, both foreign and domestic. They go on to their 30s today, witness Lomachenko, Campbell,Crolla etc. And just look at the guy who just beat Cal Yafai,generally thought to be in decline but obviously not enough.
I remember seeing Winstone first fight with Legra,who looked and boxed like a young, little Muhammad Ali. A very close fight. Winstone got the decision but looked a different guy in the second fight. And I think he was only 28.
Olivares looked unbeatable for around two years, but then went downhill. A bit like Mike Tyson did later. Maybe its a Mexican thing as it appears Saldivar deteriorated at a young age also. Could be to do with them starting so young dunno.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Yes interesting. BUT I always compare little guys in those days to those of today, both foreign and domestic. They go on to their 30s today, witness Lomachenko, Campbell,Crolla etc. And just look at the guy who just beat Cal Yafai,generally thought to be in decline but obviously not enough.
I remember seeing Winstone first fight with Legra,who looked and boxed like a young, little Muhammad Ali. A very close fight. Winstone got the decision but looked a different guy in the second fight. And I think he was only 28.
Olivares looked unbeatable for around two years, but then went downhill. A bit like Mike Tyson did later. Maybe its a Mexican thing as it appears Saldivar deteriorated at a young age also. Could be to do with them starting so young dunno.

Look at a lot of these Mexican fighter records. Most of them turn pro at 16 and have 40 fight by the time they are 20. Still happens today, look at Canelo and Munguia for two examples. Imagine how many wars you will have growing up in Mexico learning your trade as a teenager in the pro ranks, it must be a tough apprenticeship.

Look at a lot of these Mexican fighter records. Most of them turn pro at 16 and have 40 fight by the time they are 20. Still happens today, look at Canelo and Munguia for two examples. Imagine how many wars you will have growing up in Mexico learning your trade as a teenager in the pro ranks, it must be a tough apprenticeship.
Of course. I was thinking of Canelo as I wrote. No signs of slipping yet, but it might just happen very suddenly.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Of course. I was thinking of Canelo as I wrote. No signs of slipping yet, but it might just happen very suddenly.

Something tells me he might be an exception to the rule and have some longevity.
But in general, the Mexicans come up harder so it's kind of understandable when some of them fall off early

Something tells me he might be an exception to the rule and have some longevity.
But in general, the Mexicans come up harder so it's kind of understandable when some of them fall off early
Preaching to the converted here Davie. OTW takes me to task now and again for it.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
After beating Eloy Sanchez for the first half half of the title, Eder beat a high level journeyman named Billy Peacock, on a 16 fight losing run and stopped him in 2.

His first defence was against former Italian and European champion Pierre Rollo.
He'd beaten former world champion Mauro D'agato for the EBU and Italian title, made a few solid defences before losing it to Freddie Gilroy. He was on a run of 9 wins and a draw since then when he faced Jofre.

No footage but here's the report from Boxrec.

"Eder Jofre 118 lbs beat Piero Rollo 116 lbs by RTD in round 9 of 15
Rollo. A veteran with a record of 53-6-6 (21) had the experience but against his more youthful, fast stepping opponent, he was made to order for Jofre. He tried to trade punches with Jofre, but like all the others who have fought Eder, he learned quickly that it was not proper procedure. The victor, known in South America as the Golden Bantam, had the upper hand almost from the start. The first five rounds were loaded with action, the Italian striving for a quick kayo. But he found his master in Jofre, who caught many of the Italian's blows on the arm or shoulders, and quickly countered with perfect jabs and speedy hooks to the face. Twice in the fifth round Rollo was staggered with left hooks and in the same session, a long, swishing right caught Jofre on the chin and put him off balance. He spun around, speedily recovered his equilibrium and retaliated with a right that cut a deep gash over Rollo’s left eye. The following round was another bad one for the Italian. His eye began to close, but good corner work enabled him to come out for the next two rounds.

He made an excellent comeback in the eighth. Rollo realized his only chance was to win by knockout and he forced the issue during the first portion of the round. Jofre took the play away from him by an assault of lefts and lefts to the body and head throughout the last minute. When the bell sounded for the ninth round Jofre rushed out of his corner prepared for the “kill”. He staggered Rollo several times with hard punches and his defensive work was excellent. Rollo tried hard to fight back, but his clever opponent kept up a constant volley that forced the Italian to retreat. Blood trickled over his face, which, before the round ended, was a crimson hue. The flow blocked his vision and he became a setup for Jofre’s stinging lefts. The new champion, with an assortment that only veterans possess, made it extremely uncomfortable for the Italian who, when the bell clanged ending the round, walked warily to his corner. The contest was stopped between rounds by the Commission doctor with the consent of Rollo’s manager.

Rollo in his dressing room declared that his conqueror is one of the best boxers he ever met, and said that had he not suffered the eye injuries, he would have given a far better performance."

Last edited: