Davie's 60-86 bantamweight era thread

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
With Monzon safely parked I want to try a project I have thought on for some time but never got around to.

Bantamweight through the 60's and 70's was a fascinating era.
Whether you look at @fleamans work of art:
or this inferior attempt:
We see that more than half of the greatest ever fighters to operate at this weight class did so in these two decades.

I always had Jofre as the best at the weight, Mike Lockley agrees, while Fleaman opts for Ruben Olivares, he makes a fucking good case for it too.

So I intend to kick off at Eder Jofre in the early 60's and finish up in the era of Jeff Chandler and Lupe Pintor in the early 80's.
The thread will see me watch fights from Jofre, Harada, Rudkin, Rose, Olivares, Castillo, until Pinder splits the titles, when I will follow the WBA with Herrera, Anaya, Hong, Zamora, Lunan and Chandler and the WBC with Martinez, Zarate and Pintor.

The difficulty was placing restrictions on this because the temptation with many of these lighter guys that jump weights is to follow the careers.
If you follow Haradas career back you end in the flyweight era of Kingpetch, Chianoi, Torres, McGowan, Esparza and Burruni, while later in the careers of Jofre, Harada and Olivares you end at Featherweight and above with Legra, Saldivar, Winstone, Famechon and before you know you've connected the dots to Arguello, Chacon, Limon, Boza-edwards and Mancini. With so many legendary fights involving these guys it is difficult to resist the temptation to start drifting.

So I have set restrictions, that I can only drift into a higher weight class with the bantam weight legends I'm featuring.... no further.

I probably won't get moving to quickly as I'm going to spend the next couple days dropping info in, planning chronology, finding footage (which will be more sparse and worse quality than previous projects) and thinking how I'm going to go about it.

This might include a bit more in the way of written reports in place of video footage and match reports but watching fights is still intended as the core of the project and using that to challenge my own assumptions about how great these guys really are.

Any contributions will be welcome, it's a damn shame Flea isn't here to tell me where I am wrong. Other than that feel free to watch fights and add comments as you please.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
So I'll start with the Golden Bantam himself, Eder Jofre.
Prior to his arrival on the world scene, I think it is fair to say the world had not had a great bantamweight since Manuels Ortiz dominant reign on the 40's. The 50's had a number of brief reigns with very few of the names jumping off the page as ATG contenders.
Toweel, Carruthers, Cohen, D'Agata, Hallimi and Becerra had been champion and ranked no1 through the decade.

Late in the 50's Becerra had relieved Alphonse Halimi of the World Bantamweight title.
In 1960, Eloy Sanchez, on a run of 3 defeats himself, defeated reigning champion Jose Becerra in an all-Mexican non-title bout.

Becerra retired, relinquishing the bantamweight crown and quite rightly Eloy Sanchez faced highly ranked Eder Jofre for the vacant NBA world bantamweight title. Eder stopped him in 6 to claim the "title".

Around the same time, former champion Halimi beat Belfasts Freddie Gilroy for the vacant 'World bantamweight title' and we see the early splintering of titles.
Gilroy would twice be avenged by fellow Belfast man Johnny Caldwell, who would sort out this whole sorry mess by also losing his title to the young Brazilian NBA champion Eder Jofre via 10th round TKO, to give the world one undisputed bantam weight title.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
This appears to be footage of Eder Jofre against Jose Medel, in the final eliminator for the NBA portion of the title in 1959.

Medel appeared to be one of those faced everyone types. He'd faced Becerra 3 times, won the Mexican title, lost for the North American title, gone 1-1 with Eloy Sanchez. He would later challenge Jofre again for the full title as well as taking on probably every name I will mention over the next 5 pages, so we will see him again.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
First glimpse at Eder Jofre crushing Eloy Sanchez with a cracking right hand.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
No footage of the Halimi vs Gilroy or Caldwell.
But here is Caldwell collecting his title.
400px-JCaldwell.JPG.jpg

And the poster from the return fight which Caldwell also won at Wembley

Alphonse_Halimi_vs._Johnny_Caldwell(2nd_meeting).jpg

We do have Jofre vs Caldwell, the timing of that right hand is deadly and Caldwells corner sees enough waving it off with the towel.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
And I won't be revisiting Gilroy or Caldwell any further in the thread, so here's an all Belfast British title fight for our Northern Irish lads.
@Bolo (and anyone else for there)
Gilroy wins in the 9th then retired. Caldwell fights on and I may have one more look at him as he faces Rudkin in 65.

Ive just skipped through what you put for now Davie. But did you mention Medel boxed McGowan? I think McGowan was a fly but stepped up to bantam for that one. It was early in his career and he was outboxing Medel but was suddenly outfoxed by Medel and stopped mid fight I think.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Ive just skipped through what you put for now Davie. But did you mention Medel boxed McGowan? I think McGowan was a fly but stepped up to bantam for that one. It was early in his career and he was outboxing Medel but was suddenly outfoxed by Medel and stopped mid fight I think.

I actually just scanned over this fight and never realised it was up at Bantam. Cheers for that.

I'm kicking of at the start of the decade so I'll certainly mind to slot that in.

Knew McGowan as a Flyweight and I watched the Burruni fight a couple years back and always wanted to look closer at McGowans career, providing the footage exists of course. But the only bouts I had on my radar for this were the Rudkin fights. But I'll have a look for that one too @Anorak

Edit - Just checked youtube and fleamans channel has 9 minutes of footage from that fight, so it will get included along with anything of McGowan vs Rudkin.
:thumbsup :thumbsup

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Eder Jofre vs Reuben Olivares

Who would we favour in that one

On page 11, I'll hopefully give you a more informed opinion.

I've always rated Jofre number one. I've seen both fight but wouldn't say I would pick a winner with any conviction.

I'll say Jofre now but let me get back to you.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
For a couple of years Id go Olivares. But Jofre had the longevity. Didn't he have ages off and then come back and win a title. Was it Saldivar?

But I'm sure Saldivar was like 25 or something when he retired.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Yeah, took some time out then came back at featherweight, won the title and never lost again.

Not too shabby.

You know I've perused Jofre's record many times but I don't think I ever noticed that he had 3 years off, came back at 33, won the title at 37 and fought on unbeaten to 40.
That's fucking astounding for a fighter around that weight class in those days.

Shadowboxer

Former Prediction League Champion
You know I've perused Jofre's record many times but I don't think I ever noticed that he had 3 years off, came back at 33, won the title at 37 and fought on unbeaten to 40.
That's fucking astounding for a fighter around that weight class in those days.

Fucking astounding in most weight classes these days too.

Jofre has a case for being one of the very best ever, I believe.

It is between him and Monzon for me as the best South American of all time.

Country Flag
Northern Ireland
And I won't be revisiting Gilroy or Caldwell any further in the thread, so here's an all Belfast British title fight for our Northern Irish lads.
@Bolo (and anyone else for there)
Gilroy wins in the 9th then retired. Caldwell fights on and I may have one more look at him as he faces Rudkin in 65.

Must be the biggest* fight between two fighters from Belfast.

*No idea how well attended or how much talk there was around this bout but I can’t think of two Belfast fighters to fight each other who have also fought for the title.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Got one here for @Bogotazo the translator.

This footage is claiming to be relating to the Leo Espinosa fight of 59 and references Jose Smecca.
The footage, certainily of the interview and training seems far more modern.

Screenshot_20200512-203029_YouTube.jpg

Last edited: