Corona vs Boxing.

Interesting (/irresponsible of ) to see boxing/UFC power through with events in empty venues, it surely isn't feasible moving forward though without running at some kind of massive loss. Obviously it's not the priority right now but some huge events are surely gonna get canned at this rate.

Is it irresponsible? Pretty sure ESPN will pick up a lot of the tab for boxing. Appreciate that gate receipts form a massive part of the UFC though. In England Cheltenham and the football calendar continues without a care in the world despite the fact that we now have a manager, an owner, a whole squad and other players self isolating.

Pab

Born a Caucasian
Staff member
Country Flag
Ireland
Is it irresponsible? Pretty sure ESPN will pick up a lot of the tab for boxing. Appreciate that gate receipts form a massive part of the UFC though. In England Cheltenham and the football calendar continues without a care in the world despite the fact that we now have a manager, an owner, a whole squad and other players self isolating.
Case by case basis granted but as it stands the athletic commission aren't even testing anyone for UFC Brazil this weekend which just seems especially naive given so many of the factors involved there, from the manner of the sport to how far and wide the participants will have travelled from.

Missus still keen to go to Riga. Think I’d have a face like constipated Doyen if I’m there with the whole reason for going not happening tbh.
Or just happening but us not allowed in... if only I had got that T-shirt from Dorticós' team last time, I could sneak in pretending to be part of his entourage.

Or just happening but us not allowed in... if only I had got that T-shirt from Dorticós' team last time, I could sneak in pretending to be part of his entourage.
If it’s less than 200 people as the govt requirement then it’s just possible participants and media will be allowed. But this time I’m in the cheap seats with the missus and Paul Zanon is there for BM :nope

I'm interested in seeing how it goes. You'll hear everything for example. Big fights are getting canned though. This is only happening because the whole world is being put on notice by this cunt of a virus at short notice so don't expect any big fights to go ahead after this.

Country Flag
Spain
To Stop 3-4 weeks all the events (and almost all in general) it's the single solution according to experts.

If any fights did go ahead behind closed doors, if they cancel the orignal big venue and move it to a 50 seater small venue then they would save some funds and make it a little more viable with TV money still coming in... The promoters might not make money but atleast the fighters would still earn a payday...

Roe

Lineal Champion
Staff member
Country Flag
Italy
It's gonna last longer than 3 weeks though, surely? From what they're saying this shit is gonna go on for months.

I can still see some major fights taking place in studios and what not just to still earn a payday for some. Yes, there'll be less income due to no ticket sales but purses will just have to be cut a bit. I'm sure some fighters would still be happy with that. Some won't and therefore will just wait it out.

Could be an interesting time.

Imagine we actually got Joshua v Fury and only 20 people were there to watch it live. :lol:

I would love a novelty bout on a ship/barge... I think the PPV would be HUGE (first time round atleast) due to the marketing frenzy...

They could bang on about the old fights back in the day that took place on barges etc 'a real throoooowback, a nod to old days to the likes of Jim Corbet' *adam smith voice*

They could charge extortionate money for a place on the barge to watch the fight and make everyone have a Corona test one month before and a day before entering the barge... It would be make for a great event and still get some atmosphere for a big fight...

Roe

Lineal Champion
Staff member
Country Flag
Italy
They could charge extortionate money for a place on the barge to watch the fight and make everyone have a Corona test one month before and a day before entering the barge... It would be make for a great event and still get some atmosphere for a big fight...
"You get your ticket, visa and a coronavirus test all included in the package so it's perfect for the British fight fan"

:edfingers

Country Flag
England
Well the results are in lads, judge Phil Edwards scores the bought 120-108 in favour of Coronavirus, judge Dave Morreti scores the about 120-108 in favour of Coronavirus and judge Adelaide Bird scores 115-113 in favour of boxing.

So we aren’t watching anything worthwhile live for about 4 weeks. (Fucking split decisions eh)