Boxing revisited No 6.....Lennox Lewis v Gary Mason and Frank Bruno

Gary Mason was the slight bookies favourite @AAS @Chinny @Makingweight @Anorak

I knew it was meant to be a 50/50 but interesting for me that.
Mason as you know was always behind Bruno in Duff's mind and to me knowing Duff he thought Olympic gold medal or not Lewis as a pretty novice pro it was the right time to get Mason in with him and it was a sink or swim fight for both.

Mason a guy I liked but with a very,very padded record if he had of won would of derailed Lewis as the nation had not warmed to him and didn't until he beat Ruddock IIRC.like Chinny,AAS view on that as well as any others.

Calculated for Lewis also as he had far easier tests against the next two British fighters he faced in Big Glenn and Sweet D after Mason.

Mason was a big win for Lewis and a good one.

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
Lewis vs Bruno
If memory serves me right, this scorecard will look very similar to the Mason one

1. 10-9 Lewis. Two good jabbers, think Lewis scored a few more though. He's doing a bit of clowning in the first round, not sure why

2. 9-10 Bruno. Clear round, landed a few right hands and a few good hooks. Pressed Lewis back to the ropes. Unlike Mason, Bruno does have the power to trouble Lennox.

3. 9-10 Bruno. Really good pressure here and I think he might have buzzed Lennox a little, forcing him to hold on

4. 10-9 Lewis. Started stronger and won the round but there wasn't much in it as it was still a strong showing from Bruno

5. 9-10 Bruno. Lots of decent right hands landed by both but Bruno busier and got through with more. Yet again, a Lewis opponent ahead on my card but doesn't look like a guy winning

6. 10-9 Lewis. Better round and looking for the right hands now. And they look dangerous when he throws them. Came very close with a few of the big ones. Bruno slowing down

7. TKO stunning left hook to turn the round. Launched it while backed to the ropes taking punishment.
Then he launches big right hand after big right hand. He is rightly told off for holding and hitting @AAS .
But he gets the job done and Bruno is out on his feet open to big flush shots. Good stoppage

3-3 going into the 7th. Could have had Bruno winning though, he fought a really good opening 5 rounds and I wouldn't even argue with Ledermans 5-0 card in the first 5

I thought Mason was going to beat him at that point. Seems a bit daft now but Lewis was not really developed,hadn't been tested much and looked a bit of a hyped fighter. I know Mason hadn't exactly fought the who's who but he looked like he might be able to walk Lewis down. It was the first time I was actually impressed with Lewis or at least agreed he might be able to achieve more than Bruno.

By the time Lewis fought Bruno I had Lewis,I still didn't think Lewis was anything that special but figured he'd learned enough to drag Frank into a long fight and tire him. Bruno boxed well but in the end it was fairly predictable. I do think Bruno showed that Lewis could be beaten when over confident and could be made uncomfortable by certain styles.
Hi mate welcome back.
To everybody this is an interesting one. I remember the fight well. I never actually thought Mason would beat Lewis,though given the chance I think he might have beat the two boxers who beat him. As has been said he never beat a current top 10 heavy at least I don't think so. But the potential was there. I think this fight spoiled his career. Seem to think he suffered some eye damage which curtailed it as somebody else mentioned.
After his career I really liked him as a pundit. Much more articulate guy than his mate Frank,and to my mind a lot wittier. Its said he got sacked by SKY for swearing, but I think its more likely it was for a remark he made.I believe he played a bit of rugby after boxing, and he also did very well on "Gladiators" Came across as the kind of guy you'd have loved to have a beer with. Had a tragic death poor guy.

Last edited:
Is Steve Bunce right to say Gary Mason is the best Brit (contemporary) to never challenge for a World title?
Id say best contemporary HEAVY OTW. He hadn't actually earned a shot but if he hadn't gone in with Lewis I think he probably would have. Many thought he was better than Bruno though I couldn't really say.
Has somebody seen a resemblance with Dillan Whyte?? Just speaking for myself I don't.

Going into round 7 punch stats were identical and Darke,McCrory and Mee all had it level.

Maybe another example of how a fight can age differently to how it happened.

AAS

Country Flag
Scotland
Watched both and it’s a reminder to me what an inconsistent but gifted fighter Lennox was.
TBF, both contests occurred before Lewis teamed up with Manny and reached his peak... Having said that he was inconsistant after his partnership with Manny.

One of my other bug bears with Lewis was his often reticence to finish boxers that he was capable of taking out long before he decided to pull the trigger.

TBF, both contests occurred before Lewis teamed up with Manny and reached his peak... Having said that he was inconsistant after his partnership with Manny.

One of my other bug bears with Lewis was his often reticence to finish boxers that he was capable of taking out long before he decided to pull the trigger.
That’s why these two fights are interesting to watch.Pivotal moments in his career and two hard fights.

Ian Darke said ‘Lewis at time’s just doesn’t look very good at all’.

But all the attributes were there.

Enter Manny.

Reactions: AAS
Just clicked on the wrong button and ended up on the front page and this thread is highlighted there, the title makes it sound like a 2 on 1 fight!

Just clicked on the wrong button and ended up on the front page and this thread is highlighted there, the title makes it sound like a 2 on 1 fight!
Good discussion though mate. Still.
That’s why these two fights are interesting to watch.Pivotal moments in his career and two hard fights.

Ian Darke said ‘Lewis at time’s just doesn’t look very good at all’.

But all the attributes were there.

Enter Manny.
Just something to add mate. Re Darkes comment I always thought Lennox one of those boxers who was better than he looked. Never thought that about many other heavyweights. For example, not Fury, not Bruno, not Mason and definitely not Ali.