Boxing revisited No 6.....Lennox Lewis v Gary Mason and Frank Bruno

I thought Mason was going to beat him at that point. Seems a bit daft now but Lewis was not really developed,hadn't been tested much and looked a bit of a hyped fighter. I know Mason hadn't exactly fought the who's who but he looked like he might be able to walk Lewis down. It was the first time I was actually impressed with Lewis or at least agreed he might be able to achieve more than Bruno.

By the time Lewis fought Bruno I had Lewis,I still didn't think Lewis was anything that special but figured he'd learned enough to drag Frank into a long fight and tire him. Bruno boxed well but in the end it was fairly predictable. I do think Bruno showed that Lewis could be beaten when over confident and could be made uncomfortable by certain styles.

Mason in 4 and 5 well back into the fight.

Giving Lewis some vicious body shots and is causing him trouble with his heavy hands and pressure now.

Reactions: AAS
I thought Mason was going to beat him at that point. Seems a bit daft now but Lewis was not really developed,hadn't been tested much and looked a bit of a hyped fighter. I know Mason hadn't exactly fought the who's who but he looked like he might be able to walk Lewis down. It was the first time I was actually impressed with Lewis or at least agreed he might be able to achieve more than Bruno.

By the time Lewis fought Bruno I had Lewis,I still didn't think Lewis was anything that special but figured he'd learned enough to drag Frank into a long fight and tire him. Bruno boxed well but in the end it was fairly predictable. I do think Bruno showed that Lewis could be beaten when over confident and could be made uncomfortable by certain styles.
Welcome mate.

Is Steve Bunce right to say Gary Mason is the best Brit (contemporary) to never challenge for a World title?
I can't think of any others not from my time that would hold that title so I think he might be right. he was way better than the likes of Curry,Notice and Quarless who were at best European level (nothing wrong with that) I cann't think of anyone. He was unlucky! Did he damage a retina in the Lewis fight or something?

I can't think of any others not from my time that would hold that title so I think he might be right. he was way better than the likes of Curry,Notice and Quarless who were at best European level (nothing wrong with that) I cann't think of anyone. He was unlucky! Did he damage a retina in the Lewis fight or something?
Yes I think really it should have finished him but he did come back for one or two.

Bruno also had a similar problem didn’t he.

Country Flag
Cuba
Need to rewatch the Mason fight, did watch the Bruno fight not long back, Bruno was quality tbf, you can argue he took every round till he got stopped.

We all know Brunos flaws but he gets major credit in this loss, took it to Lewis and fell short - nothing wrong with that.

AAS

Country Flag
Scotland
I seem to remember him loosing his licence.... And after several years of litigation with the board having a few fights in tank towns in America

I seem to remember him loosing his licence.... And after several years of litigation with the board having a few fights in tank towns in America
Vaguely remember this now you say that,seem to think I watched him fight again. It's a shame but the board probably did it for his own good. He came out of the Lewis fight a bit of a mess. Always seemed a decent bloke though when he worked on sky.

AAS

Country Flag
Scotland
Vaguely remember this now you say that,seem to think I watched him fight again. It's a shame but the board probably did it for his own good. He came out of the Lewis fight a bit of a mess. Always seemed a decent bloke though when he worked on sky.
I defo agree, a bit like when Jimmy Mac lost his licence.... The board obviously get some well deserved shit at times, but they have rightly withdrawn numerous licences they needed pulling.

Last edited:
I defo agree, a bit like when Jimmy Mac lost his licence.... The board obviously get some well deserved shit at times, but they have rightly withdrawn numerous licences that needed pulling.
Yes it's always sad but sometimes it's best and we should be thankful they do the tests that they do.

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
Lewis vs Mason
1. 10-9 Lewis. Really sharp jab. Mason falling well short with head punches so getting some good body work in
2. 9-10 Mason. Lewis scored a lot of good jabs but Mason pressing the action and scores one good right hand late
3. 9-10 Mason. Landed the power shots and making Lewis fight Lewis trying to control the pace with his jab but not as in control as he'd like to be.
4. 10-9 Lewis. I say Mason landed the 'power' shots but Lewis foesn't seem phased in the slightest with his right hand, while Lennox is making a fair mess of Masons face with the left hands.
5. 9-10 Mason. This is a good effort. Lewis almost nails a big right hand early but overall just liked Masons work more
6. 10-9 Lewis. Cruising a bit now. Mason busted up and tiring badly, looks ragged and there's no sign he could turn it round
7. TKO. Lewis decides to come out and make the ref stop it.

3-3 going to the 7th
Weird one to score. Gave Mason rounds for landing the harder shots when Lewis jab was doing more damage. Mason winning battles on route to losing the war, he couldn't really dent Lewis who was never really out of control.