Boxing revisited No 6.....Lennox Lewis v Gary Mason and Frank Bruno

A chance to revisit and review some old fights whilst in quarantine.

It’s been a little bit Brit centric lately so sorry @Bogotazo and others,but I got caught up in some pivotal fights of British heavyweights with Tyson Fury (McDermott x 2),Danny Williams (Tyson and Vitali),Herbie Hide (Bentt and Bowe) and for now lastly Lennox Lewis.

First off we go to 1991 and Steve Ryder presents ‘Sportsnight’ from the Wembley arena.

35-0 Gary Mason (RIP) born in Jamaica but generally considered British v 14-0 olympic gold medalist Lennox Lewis born in Britain but generally considered Canadian.

European and British heavyweight titles on the line,a career defining fight for Mason and the start of Lewis’s journey to being undisputed heavyweight champion.

Fast forward to 1993 and a mammoth occasion from Cardiff arms park.The WBC world heavyweight title is to be contested between Lewis and Britain’s favourite son.The sauce advertising,panto acting,’know what I mean Harry’ing Frank Bruno.

Sky sports Ian Darke and Glen McCrory bring us the action.HBO also televise.

Last edited:

AAS

Country Flag
Scotland
Post Big Glenn's effort against Lewis.

And Sweet 'D' s fight with the cheating Canuke cunt..... 😂

Steve Ryder reminding us that it wasn’t always such a glorious time to be a British heavyweight fan.

‘Type of fight to come along once every 20 years’ ‘Biggest since Cooper v Bugner’.

Still know the ‘sportsnight’ music and intro by heart.

Reactions: AAS

AAS

Country Flag
Scotland
@Chinny /chimney has obviously passed his sell by date.... Or is no longer self isolating

... Due to his reticence to ost in this thread...

Mason in the few fights I have seen of him does look a bit messy.Leans forward over his work,looks a bit stiff and slow.

Powerful and good body puncher too.

But I’m not knowledgable on him at all.

I know he beat a couple of Americans (Biggs?) over here.
What’s his best wins @AAS ?

@Chinny /chimney has obviously passed his sell by date.... Or is no longer self isolating

... Due to his reticence to ost in this thread...
I’m self isolating still mate but weak as fuck. If it’s a decision between ‘watching’ your 39 year old gym bunny nearly die or post about Lennox Lewis then I’m sure you’ll agree it’s an easy decision.

Mason getting his eye busted up from the off.

Lewis’s jab pummelling him.But he is having to work hard.

3 rounds in.Mason’s eye is closing,fast paced fight and bombs away from both.

I’m self isolating still mate but weak as fuck. If it’s a decision between ‘watching’ your 39 year old gym bunny nearly die or post about Lennox Lewis then I’m sure you’ll agree it’s an easy decision.
Yeah but we are posting about Gary Mason and Michael Bentt too so.......

AAS

Country Flag
Scotland
I would watch Gary Mason every time as well...

.... He was obviously in some non fanfriendly contests , on Grandstand back in the day... But he was a gentleman and Scholar....

Rip champ