Boxing revisited No 5.....Herbie Hide v Michael Bentt and Riddick Bowe

Theres a mini documentrlary on Bentt on Netflix as part of some sporting series called losers. Its episode 1 iirc.
It is the best of the series by far,even from a boxing fans point of view.

Bentt had a bad upbringing,yes we know that in boxing,not a love hate relationship other way around with boxing and the best thing of all he comes across so well in the episode,self awareness as a person.

Should give it a shout in the doc boxing thread if not already pal :thumbsup

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
Herbie Hide vs Michael Bentt

Hide got Chesney Hawkes as his walk in music. Thst's it, I'm team Bentt 100% now

1. 10-9 Hide. Beating Bentt to the punch, quicker and much better movement, Bentt plodding forward not getting into range at all

2. 10-9 Hide, fast jab again, working up and down. Not landing anything big but tying Bentt up when he attacks, ref gives him a couple warnings for it

3. 10-8 Hide. The ref could have stopped that, he wasn't throwing back. Started well jabbing and moving, then nails him with a good uppercut

4. 10-9 Hide. Hit him with absolutely everything

5. 10-9 Hide. If this was down to Ramadan then Bentt really needs to convert to a different religion

6. 10-9 Hide. On e of the judges scored a round to Bentt, I couldn't give him 30 seconds of any round. Bentt bites Hide here, shocking behaviour. The best blow he landed all fight

7. KO. Bentt doesn't beat the count after going to down to a heavy combination.

Well people have defended Bentt. But judging him as a "world champion" (and be clear, that is the standard I'm judging him against) Bentt not only has a poor career, this is one of the weakest attempts at defending a world title I have ever seen, he got absolutely fucking mullered here.
If this was a result of a religious observation, that's as may be. But basic nutrition is part of your preparation to fight and you can't hide behind that shit. He wasn't fit and his output was shocking.
Add to that his tactics were piss poor, the adjustment was non-existent, he was beaten in every department and fucking battered.

I'm struggling to say anything good about that.

Hide on the other hand got just about everything right, his movement was on point, his speed was the telling factor, his punch selection was quality, he hit him with everything and he was the harder hitter. He maybe wasn't more powerful but he was able to really load up and still land a very high percentage.
If Hide wasn't a 6'2" crusierweight, you would have fancied him in with better heavyweight opposition on that showing. But it is hard to judge based on the opposition (or lack thereof) he faced here.

OK, so I lied about being 100% Bentt

Herbie Hide vs Michael Bentt

Hide got Chesney Hawkes as his walk in music. Thst's it, I'm team Bentt 100% now

1. 10-9 Hide. Beating Bentt to the punch, quicker and much better movement, Bentt plodding forward not getting into range at all

2. 10-9 Hide, fast jab again, working up and down. Not landing anything big but tying Bentt up when he attacks, ref gives him a couple warnings for it

3. 10-8 Hide. The ref could have stopped that, he wasn't throwing back. Started well jabbing and moving, then nails him with a good uppercut

4. 10-9 Hide. Hit him with absolutely everything

5. 10-9 Hide. If this was down to Ramadan then Bentt really needs to convert to a different religion

6. 10-9 Hide. On e of the judges scored a round to Bentt, I couldn't give him 30 seconds of any round. Bentt bites Hide here, shocking behaviour. The best blow he landed all fight

7. KO. Bentt doesn't beat the count after going to down to a heavy combination.

Well people have defended Bentt. But judging him as a "world champion" (and be clear, that is the standard I'm judging him against) Bentt not only has a poor career, this is one of the weakest attempts at defending a world title I have ever seen, he got absolutely fucking mullered here.
If this was a result of a religious observation, that's as may be. But basic nutrition is part of your preparation to fight and you can't hide behind that shit. He wasn't fit and his output was shocking.
Add to that his tactics were piss poor, the adjustment was non-existent, he was beaten in every department and fucking battered.

I'm struggling to say anything good about that.

Hide on the other hand got just about everything right, his movement was on point, his speed was the telling factor, his punch selection was quality, he hit him with everything and he was the harder hitter. He maybe wasn't more powerful but he was able to really load up and still land a very high percentage.
If Hide wasn't a 6'2" crusierweight, you would have fancied him in with better heavyweight opposition on that showing. But it is hard to judge based on the opposition (or lack thereof) he faced here.

OK, so I lied about being 100% Bentt
Yeah he battered him.

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
Bowe vs Hide

1. 9-10 Hide. Clear opener but Bowe gave him that.

2. 9-10 Hide. Again using his soeed and movement, fighting in little raiding bursts. Bowe not got the condidence in his timing or distance yet to let the shots go

3. 10-7 Bowe. What a dramatic and eventful round. Bowe stiffened Hide legs with a single jab, Hide tears into him and possibly rocks him with a right among a barrage of shots. Hide goes down apparently rocked by walking into Bowes shoulder, then Bowe puts him down for a count twice with good shots, in between which Hide continues to fight like a man possessed

4.10-7 Bowe. Hide was having such a good round, it's a shame there isn't more weight behind his shots. There's plenty behind Bowes though, floors him with the first shot landed and knocks him over by leaning on him after that. Hide poured so much into these rounds early

5. 10-8 Bowe. Too big and too strong, Hide looks spent now and doesn't even seem to have the snap in his punches anymore, he'd need a miracle.

6.KO Bowe. Hide thought better of getting up from that last one. Apparently a towel came in from the crowd, should have came from his corner at the end of the 4th round

A brutal case of a good big man being far too much for a good little man. Hide did some good work in there and just on the basis of his speed of feet and hands, you expect him to be able to take rounds half way through the 3rd, you'd be forgiven for starting to feel optimistic if you had been watching this live
But he couldn't dent Bowe and he definitely couldn't take Bowes power. In the end Hide was so tired with both his exertions working to score points and dealing with the weight and strength of Bowe that he had no chance of withstanding the power differential.

Last edited:
Harsh and uneducated view on the mid 90s Davie...
Expected better from you.

Bentt was an elite amateur, he was poorly breifed on his opponent on his pro debut.

As for his contest with Hide, he was practicing Ramadan in the run up to that contest..

... And suffered life changing injuries that would end his boxing career
This ^^ as usual AAS is spot on

Reactions: AAS