Boxing revisited No 5.....Herbie Hide v Michael Bentt and Riddick Bowe

Hard to know where to rank this in Hide’s best wins column.

Bentt didn’t show much in the fight,he was very tough and had a right hand that seemed to occasionally bother Hide enough to have to hold incessantly.

I've never actually looked at his Boxrec record.

What a shit awful career.

Apart from the Morrison win, he did nothing
Shit awful career is harsh.We just don’t know really how good he was,although the Hide performance suggests he was average.However he got hurt in the 3rd and never recovered and Hide could bang.

He had 5 minutes of fame but he was a good amateur from what I remember.I am sure I’ve seen him against some name fighters.

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
Shit awful career is harsh.We just don’t know really how good he was,although the Hide performance suggests he was average.However he got hurt in the 3rd and never recovered and Hide could bang.

He had 5 minutes of fame but he was a good amateur from what I remember.I am sure I’ve seen him against some name fighters.
I don't know about his amateur career but look at his pro career

He fought absolutely no one of note. The guy who KO1'd him in his debut is arguably his best opponent. He beat Morrison, won the WBO, lost to Hide and retired.

I mean Hide was a blown up cruiser weight who is generally considered to be a weak heavyweight world title holder. And he stopped Bentt in his only defence

We talk about weak world champions, I would struggle to find a weaker resume for any world title holder at heavyweight. He has one solid win to take the title and literally nothing else. Nothing.

For a world champion, that is the very definition of a shit awful career

AAS

Country Flag
Scotland
I don't know about his amateur career but look at his pro career

He fought absolutely no one of note. The guy who KO1'd him in his debut is arguably his best opponent. He beat Morrison, won the WBO, lost to Hide and retired.

I mean Hide was a blown up cruiser weight who is generally considered to be a weak heavyweight world title holder. And he stopped Bentt in his only defence

We talk about weak world champions, I would struggle to find a weaker resume for any world title holder at heavyweight. He has one solid win to take the title and literally nothing else. Nothing.

For a world champion, that is the very definition of a shit awful career
Harsh and uneducated view on the mid 90s Davie...
Expected better from you.

Bentt was an elite amateur, he was poorly breifed on his opponent on his pro debut.

As for his contest with Hide, he was practicing Ramadan in the run up to that contest..

... And suffered life changing injuries that would end his boxing career

Bentt was an elite amateur, he was poorly breifed on his opponent on his pro debut.

As for his contest with Hide, he was practicing Ramadan in the run up to that contest..

... And suffered life changing injuries that would end his boxing career
I didn’t know about injuries.

He did take a beating mind.

Now I’m on to Hide v Bowe.

Then Danny Williams v Vitali,Fury v Big John 2 and Lennox v the Brits.

Todays entertainment sorted A.

Reactions: AAS

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Why?

I specifically said I was commenting on his pro career.
But that's a wank excuse. Part of being a good pro, is being well prepared. An elite level amateur shouldn't be turning over and getting spanked in his first contest.

Another excuse.
Maybe he shouldn't have practiced Ramadan before a big fight then.
Khan did it many time and he never got.... oh yeah

But anyway. I'm not having that as an excuse. If you lose because you chose not to eat right that is unprofessional and the loss counts all the same.

... And suffered life changing injury Es that would end his boxing career
That's as may be, we might not know what he would have gone on to achieve. But what he did in his 13 pro fights was as far from impressive as it is possible to get for a professional world champion.
I'm not saying he was shit, I am saying his pro career was poor.
It was! That is a statement of fact that will stand up to any scrutiny you wish to show it. There is nothing harsh about.
I am uneducated on Bentts career and you have educated me. I still think his career is weak as fuck. There might be lots of legit excuses but that doesn't change the fact that aside from 1 win, he had a very weak pro career.

AAS

Country Flag
Scotland
I didn’t know about injuries.

He did take a beating mind.

Now I’m on to Hide v Bowe.

Then Danny Williams v Vitali,Fury v Big John 2 and Lennox v the Brits.

Todays entertainment sorted A.
I seem to remember Bentt ending up in intensive care, same era as Micheal Watson, Bradley Stone, Jimmy Murray, Rod Douglas, Gérard Mclelland etc.... ☹

I seem to remember Bentt ending up in intensive care, same era as Micheal Watson, Bradley Stone, Jimmy Murray, Rod Douglas, Gérard Mclelland etc.... ☹
I’m not suprised.

It played out quite similar in fashion to Fury v Wilder 2 but with a definitive ending.

Hide boxed so well early v Bowe.

Al Bernstein suggested v Bentt that Hide couldn’t box and move but this performance rubbishes that.

Unfortunately he was too slight as Vitali in particular showed.

Exactly... Michael Watson rightly sued the bbbc for what happened to him, and the board after nearly going under changed their policies...
There were calls for banning the sport.

The severe Watson and Mclellan injuries both played out to the nation on prime time tv.

Herbie Hide! what a strange man. He was never really big enough was he but as with the Bowe fight and the Vitalli one seemed determined to prove otherwise and ended up knocked out. I think Bowe was always levels above him regardless and all Hide showed was bottle in that one. The Bentt fight is one of those I hardly remember to be honest. Hide looked ok and Bentt looked shocking is about my recollection of it. The fight at the presser is more memorable.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Bentt vs Morrison

Tommy Morrison really was fun to watch but he wasn't the brightest
Comes out swinging, throwing nice combination, landing with real power and nice technique.
But he is wide open and walks right on to a cracking right hand, then takes blows right down to the canvas.
Two more heavy knock downs and a fair few flush shots later the ref stops it.
Bentt can fairly crack that is for sure