Boxing revisited No 5.....Herbie Hide v Michael Bentt and Riddick Bowe

1994 at the Den,home of Millwall football club.

The WBO world heavyweight championship was to be fought for between two ‘Brits’ (Bentt actually represented Jamaica as an amateur and had competed in the states,he also sounds like a yardie on this vid) Still safe to say in the early 90’s such an occasion was as rare as rocking horse shit.

Bentt had shocked the world with a win over Tommy ‘the duke’ Morrison to take the title,and Hide was the undefeated prospect who had been heavily promoted by Barry ‘the bullshitter’ Hearn.As a 13 year old boy I actually thought this was a huge fight. Casuals :nope

Anyway just to wet the appetite.

Full fight brought to you by Top Rank boxing.

And so to 12 months on and Hide is thrust into the shark infested waters of the mid 90’s heavyweight scene.He travels as champion to the MGM grand to take on Riddick ‘Big Daddy’ Bowe,already 1-1 in his epic trilogy with Evander Holyfield.

Full fight from sky sports and Ian Darke and Glen Mccrroy from 50.00 minutes onwards.

Last edited:
Michael Bentt Junior was a regular poster on boxrec.

Remember him @Davie ?

Couple of fights here I haven’t seen since I was a kid.Funny how your concept of time gets skewed,Hide fought Bowe in 95,and Vitali in 99!!!!

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
Michael Bentt Junior was a regular poster on boxrec.

Remember him @Davie ?

Couple of fights here I haven’t seen since I was a kid.Funny how your concept of time gets skewed,Hide fought Bowe in 95,and Vitali in 99!!!!
Can't say I do.

Probably spoke to him numerous times

Country Flag
Cuba
Bentt was very fortunate timing for Hide. Bentt should naver have really been in a world title fight (WBO even) but Morrison was looking for an easy touch till the huge fights got made and it all went horribly wrong for him.

Bentt hit the jackpot and fair play to him he didnt mess about in destroying Morrison but he was never truly world level. Hide probably was but he was undersized, cant blame him for fighting at heavy but he wasbreally a Cruiser. Decent puncher though and it was a very inevitable result for me.

Now Hides got a title but theres a lotnof mean guys in the division ans we really found out Hide wasnt cut for the elite heavies, he just couldnt stand up to the sheer size and power. Will watxlch the Bowe fight again later, I recently rewatched the Vitali and though it doesnt last long I felt Hide had the right gameplan, just couldnt take Vitalis shots as he basically walked and punched through Hide.

I thought Hide looked decent at cruiser at the back end of his career, sort wish he had kept it together to see how he would have fared at world level again.

Lunny

Former OTH PL Cup Winner
Staff member
Country Flag
United Kingdom
I don't know if he had a book out or something but Bentt did a bunch of podcasts and interviews last year. Interesting story and a nice guy.

Shadowboxer

How good was Herbie Hide and could he have been a better cruiser than heavy?

How do people see Hide vs Haye playing out?

Why on Earth was this held at a football stadium? :lol:

I’ve always thought they got a semi decent crowd.

I’ve seen busier graveyards than those stands.

@Davie now I can access the 365 on my tv I will take it back up.

It’s annoying as fuck trying to find ‘child friendly’ tv during the day.

But I’m going to do this ‘boxing revisited’ first so don’t pressure me yet.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
@Davie now I can access the 365 on my tv I will take it back up.

It’s annoying as fuck trying to find ‘child friendly’ tv during the day.

But I’m going to do this ‘boxing revisited’ first so don’t pressure me yet.
You know I'm going to give it 3 hours before I start hassling you on your lack of progress.