Boxing revisited No 3.....Tyson Fury v John McDermott 1 and 2

September 2009 (nearly eleven freaking years ago :wow2 )

Tyson Fury 7(7)-0

In his first major step up v English champion 25-5 Big John McDermott.

Mcdermott had lost split and majority decisions to British king Danny Williams in the last 12 months and previously clinched the English title with a win over Pele Reid.He was a significant step up for Tyson but considered beatable for the highly rated Furious one.

Score,debate,discuss the first match between these two heavyweights.An important fork in the road for the current lineal world heavyweight champion.

And 9 months later they did it all again.

Watch and see how Tyson adjusted to McDermott’s pressure and strength.

Last edited:
It’s worth mentioning how big a step up this was.

Mcdermott deserved to win the first Danny Williams fight.He was a fit,volume puncher and could do the 10 or 12 rounds easily.

1-0 McDermott

Good range,landing right hands.Nice head movement.

Heads come in at the end of the round.’These two don’t like each other’.Mcdermott isn’t happy with Fury after the build up.

2-0 McDermott

Good action round,better from Fury but McDermott takes it due to landing more clean punches.

Difference so far is Johns head movement which is making Tyson miss and helping him set up his offense.

3-2 McDermott

Again very close but Big John lands clean jabs and right hands whereas Fury is landing grazing shots.

Sky have it 4-1.

Stats indicate a 40% punch percentage landed for John compared to just 17% from Fury.

Actual punch count is far closer but that first stat is the most important factor in this fight.Big John is landing flush and eye catching punches.Fury is more messy albeit well in the fight.

I haven't watched this since it happened. I remember having this recorded and stumbling in the door of the pub to watch it. McDermott should have got the nod pretty clearly from what I remember.

4-3 McDermott

Jab working well.There’s something visually satisfying about watching a fat man with a reach disadvantage landing a full range jab with great technique.

Watt said ‘bang on the chen’ and ‘arum punches’ within about a minute.Classic bingo action.

John Fury looking intimidating ringside pre eye gouge.

Rewatched it for the first time recently and from what I remember there were 4 clear rounds for McDermott, 3 for Fury and 3 that could have gone either way.

The commentary was very pro-McDermott and thought there were a couple of rounds where he got too much credit for merely coming forward.

Rewatched it for the first time recently and from what I remember there were 4 clear rounds for McDermott, 3 for Fury and 3 that could have gone either way.

The commentary was very pro-McDermott and thought there were a couple of rounds where he got too much credit for merely coming forward.
Thing is I don’t think he is just coming forward.

I think it’s a dogfight with some glimpses of clean punching from John.

I see your point in the 9th @Vic Mackey

I give it to Fury but Johns all over him.Tyson landing 3’s and 4’s off the ropes but for me he landed more despite the body language telling us John the aggressor took it.

5-4 McDermott

All on the last.