Boxing revisited No 2.....Andre Ward v Mikkel Kessler

A fight largely forgotten when looking back over their respective resumes.

Kessler was just once beaten by Joe Calzaghe in a competitive unification.Ward unbeaten American hope facing upto one of the European pre tournament favourites.

Is it fair this fight is overlooked?

Is it all about headbutts?

Has Kessler ever been beaten so comprehensively? If not then why is this credited to Ward as one of his career highs? (along with Kovalev and Froch wins)

Discuss....

First thing to note from round 1 is Ward settles so much quicker and gets his range and jab on key from the opening bell.

He is also comfortable enough to switch hit in this his first world title challenge v an experienced and top class champion.

2nd round better for Kessler,tracking Ward and making him work hard off the back foot.

But Ward lands a number of clean punches in the last 20 seconds.

Ward is superb in the 3rd.

Making him miss and pay,landing at will.

His varying of height,bobbing up and down is making Kessler reset and confusing him.

Round 4 both land big.

Kessler with a left hook but almost immediately Ward lands a short right and takes over again.

Too quick,too much variety.Too good.

‘Headbutts,dirty fighter,always fights at home’ Truth is Ward was class.

Ward is a wonderful fighter.

Old school,an all rounder,someone who worked on their craft and didn’t ever rely on one attribute.

He could punch hard,fight inside,had high ring IQ,knew when to tie up,had fast hands,great timing,great defence,good upper body movement,good feet and transfer from defence to offense in a split second.

We should have cherished Ward.He was the same v Froch and in Kovalev 1 after the initial hard time.

I remember going on a train to Nottingham to see froch dirrell and trading about Andre ward in boxing monthly's preview of this fight. Kessler was a beast and I also went to his close fight with calzaghe and I had never heard of ward before but I remember being impressed at how confident they sounded. Although ward won the Olympics he hadn't set the pros on fire and was a massive underdog I think? Anyway this was his coming out party and was a brilliant win. Ward was far better than any super middle of his era I loved froch but ward beat him easy

Ward is a wonderful fighter.

Old school,an all rounder,someone who worked on their craft and didn’t ever rely on one attribute.

He could punch hard,fight inside,had high ring IQ,knew when to tie up,had fast hands,great timing,great defence,good upper body movement,great feet and transfer from defence to offense in a split second.

We should have cherished Ward.He was the same v Froch and in Kovalev 1.
Was always one of my favourites - watching him made me want to go straight away to the gym and practice

I remember going on a train to Nottingham to see froch dirrell and trading about Andre ward in boxing monthly's preview of this fight. Kessler was a beast and I also went to his close fight with calzaghe and I had never heard of ward before but I remember being impressed at how confident they sounded. Although ward won the Olympics he hadn't set the pros on fire and was a massive underdog I think? Anyway this was his coming out party and was a brilliant win. Ward was far better than any super middle of his era I loved froch but ward beat him easy
Showtime fan poll was 54-46 Ward.

But expert opinion was Kessler the defending champion was the favourite yes.

Kessler and Abraham were pre tournament favourites.

Ok I’ve done the 11.

I think Kessler maybe won one round.

Ward was superb.Deserves more credit.Ward initiated the head clashes so maybe can be blamed for the fight being unmemorable and underrated.

But watch the first 6-7 rounds before a severe clash and Ward was just the better fighter.Kessler was made to look ordinary but he was anything but.

Round 4 both land big.

Kessler with a left hook but almost immediately Ward lands a short right and takes over again.

Too quick,too much variety.Too good.

‘Headbutts,dirty fighter,always fights at home’ Truth is Ward was class.
Ward was class, that's what makes his dirty tactics all the more infuriating. He didn't need to do the dirty and sneeky shit he did but ultimately did what he had to win. A great fighter but I never liked him.

Ward was class, that's what makes his dirty tactics all the more infuriating. He didn't need to do the dirty and sneeky shit he did but ultimately did what he had to win. A great fighter but I never liked him.
What dirty tactics are we specifically talking about?

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
1. 9-10 Ward. Good stiff jab and straight shots to the body, leans out of range to take Kesslers reach advantage away. Not sure what the switch stance does for him offensively though.

**Kesslers "keys to victory" - 1. Use the jab, 2. throw combinations and 3. throw the right**
So you want him to throw punches then? Genius analysis

2. 9-10 Ward. Landing stiff punches again, stops Kessler getting to him, picking shots well. Ward's positioning when he isn't throwing is precise, just out of range so Kessler can't get going. Then towards the end, falling in after throwing the right, stifling Mikkel

3. 9-10 Ward, good boxing from Andre here, not sure what Kessler landed, fell short with a lot of shots, partly down to Wards movement but I think he's reluctant now to get right in to range, because of the stiff shots he's taken every time he does and when they get close enough Ward ties him up

4. 9-10 Ward, Huge round, this is a clinic right here, Kessler trying to get in close and mix it up and Ward shows his toughness and infighting skill to beat him there too. Fighting better, boxing better, offence, defense, workj to the body and head. Every department and he has him hurt into the bargain

5. 9-10 Ward Taking the fight away from Kessler here. Ward throws some clever combinations here, at one point fakes the jab and fires a fast right hand left hook that catches Kessler flush

6. 10-9 Kessler, Ward landed a few good shots late and might have nicked this on the cards. The commentary are critical of Ward for lunging in here but I don't think they are giving Kessler the credit for the adjustment, he's taking to the back foot quite often and when Ward attacks, Kesslers movement is making him fall short causing him to reach. See if Ward can adjust to this is Kessler keeps it up.....not sure how much Kessler enjoys moving backwards, his best offensive stuff still comes off the front foot

7. 9-10 Ward. Firing the right to the body first, moving in low then firing upstair with the left hook, and at times doubling and tripling the jab, Kessler still backing up but Ward is already finding him

8 TBC