Boxing revisited No 1..... Floyd Mayweather v Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez

I have thought of doing this on the forum for a long time now.

Every Monday I will upload a full fight from the vaults that I think is worth revisiting and ask for the forum’s recollections of the fight and the event and more importantly their view upon rewatching.

We have only one fight per week,so no pressure like the 365.I will offer famous fights and fighters but ask if our regulars can rewatch and score and debate any subject related to that specific fight or the fighters careers.

For starters I offer you this.....

Roe

Lineal Champion
Staff member
Country Flag
Italy
Probably the most "meh" I've ever felt about a big fight tbh. Before and after it.

Can't put my finger on why. It's a decent enough fight. It's a solid win for Mayweather, and Canelo showed a lot of quality too, especially only being 23 at the time.

TFG

Country Flag
England
Closer than most people say imo.

At least that was my take away when I last watched it with the commentary off.

Obviously it should have been a clear points win for Floyd, but a lot of the rounds were swung by a handful of clean punches in Mayweather's favour, whilst Canelo was missing by millimetres and hitting a lot of shoulders and arms. I've always said I can see why a judge sitting ringside would have that fight a lot closer than it actually was.

Ultimately though, it was arguably Floyd's best defensive performance in hindsight. He was making Canelo miss by ridiculously tight margins and I'd consider it a schooling overall as it comes across like a boxing lesson.

Canelo landed a cracking left hook at some point though, Mayweather has commented on it multiple times after the fight saying he still feels that shot today, look forward to watching it again.

Reactions: SJS
I watched this on holiday in Mexico after spending some of fight week in Vegas yet haven’t rewatched since, so will do this week 👍🏻
I think we often discuss fights on here that we only saw once.

Your recollections become tainted by the debates we have over a fight we saw once years and years ago.Now no one is going to say anything other than Floyd schooled Canelo.But in the light of Canelo’s further rise to superstardom and success at 160 and 175,I think this is a good starting point.

How did Floyd beat Canelo? What does Canelo do now that he couldn’t do then? What made Floyd so special? Did the contract stipulations hinder Alvarez,or even play a part in how he became the power broker in super fight deals?

I think it’s a fascinating contest to look back.

Closer than most people say imo.

At least that was my take away when I last watched it with the commentary off.

Obviously it should have been a clear points win for Floyd, but a lot of the rounds were swung by a handful of clean punches in Mayweather's favour, whilst Canelo was missing by millimetres and hitting a lot of shoulders and arms. I've always said I can see why a judge sitting ringside would have that fight a lot closer than it actually was.

Ultimately though, it was arguably Floyd's best defensive performance in hindsight. He was making Canelo miss by ridiculously tight margins and I'd consider it a schooling overall as it comes across like a boxing lesson.

Canelo landed a cracking left hook at some point though, Mayweather has commented on it multiple times after the fight saying he still feels that shot today, look forward to watching it again.
Haven’t watched it yet but there’s several rounds that were dominated by Floyd.

Mid way,maybe 6 or 7.Floyd has totally bamboozled Canelo,he looks lost,he is feeling sorry for himself and the stoppage could be on.

TFG

Country Flag
England
Haven’t watched it yet but there’s several rounds that were dominated by Floyd.

Mid way,maybe 6 or 7.Floyd has totally bamboozled Canelo,he looks lost,he is feeling sorry for himself and the stoppage could be on.
Stoppage was never close, watch it without the commentary and that idea is laughable, he takes one or two clean shots in the corner as he's trying to create an opening for himself, it's not like he was out on his feet or even hurt.

Didn't dispute several rounds were dominant.

Stoppage was never close, watch it without the commentary and that idea is laughable, he takes one or two clean shots in the corner as he's trying to create an opening for himself, it's not like he was out on his feet or even hurt.

Didn't dispute several rounds were dominant.
He looks out of his depth and out of ideas.

Anyway I won’t debate a fight further with you that neither of us have watched for years.That’s the whole point of the thread.

You are also always very pro Alvarez.And you must admit that.

TFG

Country Flag
England
He looks out of his depth and out of ideas.

Anyway I won’t debate a fight further with you that neither of us have watched for years.That’s the whole point of the thread.

You are also always very pro Alvarez.And you must admit that.
Looking out of ideas doesn't mean he was close to being stopped, that was never close.

I'm more of a Floyd fan than a Canelo fan and had the fight scored wide for the former, though when you watch with the commentary off a lot of the rounds looks closer than they looked initially imo which is always the case when there's a strong narrative ie he's getting schooled, looked lost etc, judges are still just looking for punches landed and missed realistically.

Both times I've still had it relatively wide for Floyd.

Lunny

Former OTH PL Cup Winner
Staff member
Country Flag
United Kingdom
I think we often discuss fights on here that we only saw once.
I'm terrible for this. Then someone will raise a point I've not thought about and I'll say "maybe I need to watch it again" but I never do.

Maybe I'll watch this one again tonight...

Looking out of ideas doesn't mean he was close to being stopped, that was never close.

I'm more of a Floyd fan than a Canelo fan and had the fight scored wide for the former, though when you watch with the commentary off a lot of the rounds looks closer than they looked initially imo which is always the case when there's a strong narrative ie he's getting schooled, looked lost etc, judges are still just looking for punches landed and missed realistically.

Both times I've still had it relatively wide for Floyd.
You’re correct in he was never hurt or close to being stopped,but there was a stage where he looked relatively clueless and outclassed.That’s what I meant,if the fight had continued down that path then yes the stoppage would have been on.

Davie

Former Prediction League Champion
Country Flag
Scotland
I have thought of doing this on the forum for a long time now.

Every Monday I will upload a full fight from the vaults that I think is worth revisiting and ask for the forum’s recollections of the fight and the event and more importantly their view upon rewatching.

We have only one fight per week,so no pressure like the 365.I will offer famous fights and fighters but ask if our regulars can rewatch and score and debate any subject related to that specific fight or the fighters careers.

For starters I offer you this.....

Your own 52 week challenge?

Or will you struggle to make it into a second month like the 365?

:rofl

I like it, I'm in.

Country Flag
China
Canelo was absolutely made tailor made for Floyd at this time. I remember making a thread before the fight and having some strong debates. Canelo has improved a lot but he was far more basic back then, his footwork was pretty poor, in fact very poor if we compare it to other elites, he was pretty slow and hadn't fully got down his counterpunching style as yet, he would land the odd nice clean shot but he was fairly easy to catch himself and he didn' throw often enough (which resulted in controversial wins).

Floyd did exactly as I thought, dominated with superior footwork and out countered the counter puncher, he even started taking the lead because Canelo looked completely lost for periods of the fight.

The draw card is ridiculous, the reality is Floyd won every single round of this fight and its hard to argue otherwise. Canelo looked poor but he did learn a lot from it and we saw his improve a lot from here onwards.

Both guys are caught dopers though and we don't know how much the weight effected Canelo. He was always a pretty big drainer and this was a big payday with out losing much face if he lost, young green and below his best weight then, it was a well weighed up risk, he made big monet, got huge exposure, learnt a lot and it didn't really do any damage to him or his legacy.

TFG

Country Flag
England
You’re correct in he was never hurt or close to being stopped,but there was a stage where he looked relatively clueless and outclassed.That’s what I meant,if the fight had continued down that path then yes the stoppage would have been on.
Yeah it started getting really dominant after the half way point.

First half of the fight though I thought there were some competitive rounds.

My memory of it is that Floyd absolutely dominated him and that's about it. Crazy to think this happened 7 years ago and Canelo is now in his prime.

Will rewatch, that's tonight's viewing sorted.

northern lights

OTH PL Cup Winner
Yeah it started getting really dominant after the half way point.

First half of the fight though I thought there were some competitive rounds.
I'm up to round 7 now. The first two were very close imo but after that Floyd is clearly in charge. The big difference for me is just how clean Floyd lands compared to Canelo who's shots appear to be cuffing or glancing blow in comparison.

TFG

Country Flag
England
I'm up to round 7 now. The first two were very close imo but after that Floyd is clearly in charge. The big difference for me is just how clean Floyd lands compared to Canelo who's shots appear to be cuffing or glancing blow in comparison.
I thought I remembered round 4 being close but I might be wrong.

Yeah that's the difference, Floyd lands and clean and manages to make Canelo miss by inches, he's constantly hitting arms and shoulders.

That's why I can kind of understand a closer score if you are sitting ringside, his shots zip through the air and make contact every time and it probably isn't as clear what is leaning clean and what isn't. Not that this excuses that one scorecard like.

northern lights

OTH PL Cup Winner
I thought I remembered round 4 being close but I might be wrong.

Yeah that's the difference, Floyd lands and clean and manages to make Canelo miss by inches, he's constantly hitting arms and shoulders.

That's why I can kind of understand a closer score if you are sitting ringside, his shots zip through the air and make contact every time and it probably isn't as clear what is leaning clean and what isn't. Not that this excuses that one scorecard like.
Rounds 7 and 8 are Floyd at his best. Round 7 great movement and landing great shots and combinations on the front and back foot but mostly front foot.
Round 8 more of the later Floyd standing on the ropes hardly taking any shots from a world class fighter with short sharp movements, shoulder rolls and feints but still countering with short, sharp clean shots, amazing stuff.