365 Day Challenge Day 58: Juan Manuel Marquez v Marco Antonio Barrera

Country Flag
United States of America
I like this fight.

Never saw the controversy, I had it 116-111 to MAB with that 7th round being pivotal.

One moment of madness by MAB leading to a 4 point swing.

Good performance by both men, very high skill level.

I would mention about how I prefer a good old fashioned HW slugfest but I fear @Davie will lose his shit with me lol.
Don’t you mean 116-111 to JMM?

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
I like this fight.

Never saw the controversy, I had it 116-111 to MAB with that 7th round being pivotal.

One moment of madness by MAB leading to a 4 point swing.

Good performance by both men, very high skill level.

I would mention about how I prefer a good old fashioned HW slugfest but I fear @Davie will lose his shit with me lol.

Not at all, not at all.
I love the drama of a titanic heavyweight tussle, just not when comparing Chisora with an ATG middleweight clash between two greats

Ali vs Frazier, Holmes vs Shavers or something involving Evander Holyfield at his best, fair enough.

But mentioning Chisora vs Whyte in the same breath as Toney vs McCallum just isn't on mate.

Not at all, not at all.
I love the drama of a titanic heavyweight tussle, just not when comparing Chisora with an ATG middleweight clash between two greats

Ali vs Frazier, Holmes vs Shavers or something involving Evander Holyfield at his best, fair enough.

But mentioning Chisora vs Whyte in the same breath as Toney vs McCallum just isn't on mate.
:lol::lol:

9-10 Marquez
10-9 Barrera
9-10
10-9
9-10
10-9
9-9 - As others have said, God knows how you score that. Gave it as an even round thanks to the knockdown that somehow wasn't seen by Nady but a 10-7 round for Marquez isn't out of the question
9-10
9-10
9-10
9-10

111-116 Marquez

Country Flag
England
All done.I don’t agree with the consensus by the looks as I felt Barrera looked his age here (I know he is younger but was far more ring worn) and was fighting to stay in the fight at times.

Marquez was quicker of hand,punching harder and throwing longer and more accurate combinations.Its a fantastic performance from Marquez and even though Barrera still showed his class,I felt he was befuddled by Marquez quicker counters.He was probing and trying to lay traps but ring wear was the difference here.

As always with the Mexican 4,there’s some great exchanges.So rapid and intelligent.Marquez work in round seven is a delight to watch,ironically in a round where he was clearly dropped.

Spot on mate. Every word.

Country Flag
England
How did you score the fight?

I don't archive scorecards unfortunately, but I have never managed to score the fight for MAB. He was continually beaten to the punch and came out second best throughout most of the exchanges. He was also visibly exhausted down the stretch, which was a consequence of his fighting age.

Round 7 was a strange one – I think it's still a 10-9 round before the knockdown. JMM had been dominant, but not enough to warrant a 10-8. If you then score the knockdown for MAB, which was clear, it becomes a 9-9. Nady then rightfully takes a point away from MAB for hitting JMM whilst he was on the ground. The round becomes a 9-8 for JMM.

Whilst I don't consider myself an authority on boxing matters and certainly not scoring fights, I tend to think my opinion here counts for something considering I am a huge fan of MAB and desperately wanted him to defeat JMM. It just didn't happen unfortunately, the fight took place 5 years too late.