365 Day Challenge Day 363: Manny Pacquiao v Juan Manuel Marquez IV

Country Flag
Canada
Had Marquez winning a close first round due to body work, the third due to the KD, and the fourth as Pac regrouped.

Pac rebounded very well in rounds five and six, and looked to have things well in hand when he stepped into oblivion. I won't object to anyone calling this the fight of this decade.

Blunt

Formerly Sharp
I always liked pac but I fucking loved this fight and finish. Felt that JMM was so hard done by in their other fights so it was just epic to finish it like this.

Lunny

Shadowboxer's Nonsense Football Lottery Champ 2021
Staff member
I think it was gone 5am when this finished in the UK but I was wide awake and hyped. Unreal.

Marquez was so determined to take it out of the judges hands. He said so in the build up but nobody took him seriously. He wanted that KO and just went in there for war.

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
It's on Youtube, thank fuck

1. 10-9 Pacquiao
2. 10-9 Pacquaio
3. 8-10 Marquez. I forgot how well he caught him in this round, he fucking clobbered him with that right.
4. 10-9 Pacquiao
5. 10-8 Pacquiao. Great round, lots of really good shots landed.
6. "He's not getting up Jim, He's not getting up"
That punch you never forget but it never ceases to amaze you.
Seldom in boxing has there been a sweeter shot
Seldom in boxing has there been a punch of greater magnitude in terms of a rivalry between two fights, in terms of the impact on the sport itself at that time.
Put those things together and that is up there with the most stunning one punch knock outs in history.

Last edited:
I think it was gone 5am when this finished in the UK but I was wide awake and hyped. Unreal.

Marquez was so determined to take it out of the judges hands. He said so in the build up but nobody took him seriously. He wanted that KO and just went in there for war.
I think it was more like 6 , I was wide awake and very drunk .
Great fight , genuinely one for the ages . Was gutted Manny got flattened and for a short while scared he was fuckin dead but Marquez deserved his day , even if he did look pumped full of hulk juice .

Lunny

Staff member
I think it was more like 6 , I was wide awake and very drunk .
Great fight , genuinely one for the ages . Was gutted Manny got flattened and for a short while scared he was fuckin dead but Marquez deserved his day , even if he did look pumped full of hulk juice .
Yeah I think you're right, it was silly o clock.

I was so annoyed after the 3rd one, I felt it was a proper robbery at the time.Though maybe I need to rewatch as other people had it closer. I think I had the first or second for him too. The 4th fight was justice for JMM.

Best fight of the 2010s, huge moment.

Genuinely thought this was the night where Pac ended the controversy, how wrong I was.

I feel like Marquez was miles behind here and two counter shots are the reason he won the fight.

Obviously it was no fluke, he landed the punch over and over, however Pac was clearly on control and barring a knockout JMM loses here imo.

Reactions: Roe

Lunny

Staff member
Genuinely thought this was the night where Pac ended the controversy, how wrong I was.

I feel like Marquez was miles behind here and two counter shots are the reason he won the fight.

Obviously it was no fluke, he landed the punch over and over, however Pac was clearly on control and barring a knockout JMM loses here imo.
That's the point though, Marquez was aiming to get that knockout. His whole gameplan was to land that big shot. If he wanted to go out and box and counter and win rounds he would have but after the third fight he wasn't going to do that again.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Ironically, the commentary point out that Pacquiao had been working on head movement, particularly when moving back out and after throwing his own shots and I think it might have been that that got him caught for the first knockdown.
Pacquiao likes his ear muffs up and uses his feet and speed to be evasive usually. Previous fights showed that Marquez's beautiful timing was enough to still catch Pacquiao. But he was never able to catch him as clean and hurt him as he did in this fight.

If you watch the first knock down, it is moving his head that creates the opening between head and guard for Marquez to land a really clean shot. As I said in the scoring, I forgot how good that punch was, because of what came later, but that was a telling sign for me. His head movement was causing Marquez problems getting his shots off but it meant when he did eventually tag him, Pacquiaos earmuffs guard was as effective (it was non-existent)

Possibly, and it's interesting how selective we (as fans) get sometimes when judging fighters for PED use, alleged or confirmed.

It's not like Pacquiao hasn't had his own accusations either though.

I have never held in as high esteem as most,and that is why.

It just didn’t feel right.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Anybody feel this win has an asterick next to it.

Marquez’s conditioning.

Na, he sparked out Pacquiao with one punch after 6 rounds of fighting quite conservatively and losing rounds due to relatively low output

His conditioning didn't really play a part, judgement, timing and ring intelligence did.
And newly acquired freakish one punch power :hmm
But not conditioning

Na, he sparked out Pacquiao with one punch after 6 rounds of fighting quite conservatively and losing rounds due to relatively low output

His conditioning didn't really play a part, judgement, timing and ring intelligence did.
But not conditioning

I was being diplomatic saying conditioning.

But not conditioning

Also, Márquez was a lot slower than in the third fight, his training was focused on bulking up and developing the power to KO Pacquiao. He practised that shot over and over in training - there was that clip of him knocking down one of his sparring partners with the same shot. He had no chance of winning that fight on the cards because of how he had prepared himself.