365 Day Challenge Day 32: Wilfred Benitez v Bruce Curry

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
1. 9-10 Curry. Benitez jabbing and Curry hooking, caught Benitez with a couple of those hooks
2. 10-9 Benitez. Clear round, made Curry miss with a variety of techniques, blocks, parries, ducking and slipping. Curry barely landed while Benitez got off reasonably regularly. Interesting watching the hand movements and feints of either fight, they've not stopped moving from the opening bell.
Is it ne or does that kind of undermine the feints though, when your hand are in perpetual motion the opponent is less likely to react to a little flick of the glove or shoulder movement.
3. 9-10 Curry. Was a close round with Benitez edging it with the jab until the last 30 when Curry hurt him and went to town. Benitez came back into it a little
4. 7-10 Curry. Benitez comes out firing and going to war, then 30 seconds left Curry flattens him, twice.
Now we talk about refs making a brave call letting fighters continue but I don't care what goes on to happen in the remainder of the bout, there is NO WAY Benitez was fit to continue after either knock down there. Mercante never even checked him when he got up.
5. 8-10 Curry, this could have been stopped at any point in this round, Benitez legs were never under him. Curry in knackered and I've got Wilfred needing kds
6. 10-9 Benitez. Quieter round with both men tired. Benitez got his legs back under him and moving and shooting enough straight shots to keep Curry off
7. 10-9 Benitez. Right back in this and looking fresh and sharp, with crisp, quick accurate punches, even put together a couple of lovely combinations
8. 10-9 Benitez boxing well now, landing regularly with fast light combination punching and countering well. Making Curry miss badly at times.
**interesting to hear Curry was a late replacement for Roberto Duran. Imagine missing out on a Duran fight and getting thrown into this shit at short notice. Mind you, just as well, Roberto would likely have chewed him up and shat him out on this performance.
9. 10-9 Benitez. Good close active round with both men back working now.
Interesting to see the recovery. Both men were desperately tired a couple rounds ago, Benitez from being almost KO'd 3 times and Curry from a couple rounds of throwing the kitchen sink at him. But it's not like a hard 15 rounder tiredness, where you are spent, it can be shaken off and recovered from.
10. 10-9 Benitez. Good end and after talking about recovery they punch themselves to a standstill.

93-94. Curry.
Benitez won this on the cards and I could see an argument for him getting one of those early rounds I gave to Curry, which would give him the nod.

But for me there is no way Mercante should have allowed Benitez to continue through round 4 and 5, he was basically out on his feet.
I congratulated the ref for letting Katsidis v Earl go on, but Earl got up with solid legs and started punching.
Benitez was like a drunken man here and in no state to continue fighting irrespective of the recovery in the later rounds.

Last edited:
Country Flag
Norway
1. 9-10 Curry. Benitez jabbing and Curry hooking, caught Benitez with a couple of those hooks
2. 10-9 Benitez. Clear round, made Curry miss with a variety of techniques, blocks, parries, ducking and slipping. Curry barely landed while Benitez got off reasonably regularly. Interesting watching the hand movements and feints of either fight, they've not stopped moving from the opening bell.
Is it ne or does that kind of undermine the feints though, when your hand are in perpetual motion the opponent is less likely to react to a little flick of the glove or shoulder movement.
3. 9-10 Curry. Was a close round with Benitez edging it with the jab until the last 30 when Curry hurt him and went to town. Benitez came back into it a little
4. 7-10 Curry. Benitez comes out firing and going to war, then 30 seconds left Curry flattens him, twice.
Now we talk about refs making a brave call letting fighters continue but I don't care what goes on to happen in the remainder of the bout, there is NO WAY Benitez was fit to continue after either knock down there. Mercante never even checked him when he got up.
5. 8-10 Curry, this could have been stopped at any point in this round, Benitez legs were never under him. Curry in knackered and I've got Wilfred needing kds
6. 10-9 Benitez. Quieter round with both men tired. Benitez got his legs back under him and moving and shooting enough straight shots to keep Curry off
7. 10-9 Benitez. Right back in this and looking fresh and sharp, with crisp, quick accurate punches, even put together a couple of lovely combinations
8. 10-9 Benitez boxing well now, landing regularly with fast light combination punching and countering well. Making Curry miss badly at times.
**interesting to hear Curry was a late replacement for Roberto Duran. Imagine missing out on a Duran fight and getting thrown into this shit at short notice. Mind you, just as well, Roberto would likely have chewed him up and shat him out on this performance.
Interesting to see the recovery. Both men were desperately tired a couple rounds ago, Benitez from being almost KO'd 3 times and Curry from a couple rounds of throwing the kitchen sink at him. But it's not like a hard 15 rounder tiredness, where you are spent, it can be shaken off and recovered from.
10. 10-9 Benitez. Good end and after talking about recovery they punch themselves to a standstill.

93-94. Curry.
Benitez won this on the cards and I could see an argument for him getting one of those early rounds I gave to Curry, which would give him the nod.

But for me there is no way Mercante should have allowed Benitez to continue through round 4 and 5, he was basically out on his feet.
I congratulated the ref for letting Katsidis v Earl go on, but Earl got up with solid legs and started punching.
Benitez was like a drunken man here and in no state to continue fighting irrespective of the recovery in the later rounds.

Interestingly enough Mercant stopped Akovov last week for tasting a jab and being completely fine in one of the worst stoppages Ive ever seen.

Country Flag
Canada
Interestingly enough Mercant stopped Akovov last week for tasting a jab and being completely fine in one of the worst stoppages Ive ever seen.

That was his son, who is infuriatingly inconsistent as an official.

Mercante Sr. was clearly of the old school...and was generally a much better official. Still, I don't think letting this fight go on was his best call, and the damage done to Wilfred might well have exacerbated his issues once he had retired.

Lunny

Shadowboxer's Nonsense Football Lottery Champ 2021
Staff member

93-94. Curry.

It wasn't a 10 points must fight so I think it was scored without 10-8s or 10-7s. Just whoever won the round without even taking KDs into consideration. Anyone else know if this is the case?

Right I’ve watched in full and I’ll post up some thoughts later but for now I have just one thing to say.

How the hell did Benitez win that? There was only one winner surely.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
It wasn't a 10 points must fight so I think it was scored without 10-8s or 10-7s. Just whoever won the round without even taking KDs into consideration. Anyone else know if this is the case?

I should know that I checked it on Boxrec prior to watching it and seen the scores were 4-5, 5-4 & 7-3

Mind you, I don't understand anything but the 10 point must system (I only have the most basic understanding of that) so I just score everything with the 10 point must

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
7-3 Benitez is an awful scorecard.

It looks it judging by modern standards and seeing how badly hurt he was but I scored it 6-4 Benitez by that scoring system.
I could be swayed to give Benitez one of the early rounds too which makes it not that mad a score.

Just a shit scoring system

It looks it judging by modern standards and seeing how badly hurt he was but I scored it 6-4 Benitez by that scoring system.
I could be swayed to give Benitez one of the early rounds too which makes it not that mad a score.

Just a shit scoring system

Ain’t it just.

Sickening seeing Curry lose that.

Country Flag
Norway
Screenshot_20190201-205018.jpg

Curry scrapes it on the ten point must system on my card though would have lost 6-4 on rounds.

Those knockdowns were brutal, Benitez soul had already ascended but his body was left to its own device. The third knockdown I have no idea what he was trying to do on the ropes jiggling about with his back to the ref.

Credit to Benitez for staying up and weathering the storm though. More credit that after those two rounds he won the won the final five cause he looked done in 4/5.

Fight was meant to be Duran v Benitez. Very interesting fight in 77, gotta fancy Duran to do a job on him at this stage in their careers.

John Locicero was KOd in 2 on the undercard, hes already featured.
Luis Resto won a points decision over 6 against 17-0 Anthony Daniels, must have been a good uoset for being 4-0, Resto would become famous for all the wrong reasons. Gerry Cooney also scored a KO in four in his fifth fight.

Commentator made out the card had been fantastic but cant find any of those fights to verify.

Lunny

Shadowboxer's Nonsense Football Lottery Champ 2021
Staff member
1. Curry. Feeling out round but the hooks Curry landed early were better than anything Benitez landed.
2. Benitez. Boxing well in this round. Landing his shots and avoiding Curry's.
3. Curry. Curry hurts Benitez with a huge left hook then a FUSILADE of punches towards the end of the round but Benitez comes straight back throwing.
4. Curry. Benitez starts off really well landing almost at will and getting out of the way in time. He seemed to get a bit overconfident though and that's when Curry started landing. That left hook windmill of Curry is deadly. Benitez gets knocked down twice and falls through the ropes trying to get up. He's lucky it wasn't stopped there.
5. Curry. Benitez still out on his feet and gets dropped again. Curry smells blood but has seemingly punched himself out.

Benitez does the old snake charmer hypnosis defence to survive:
giphy.gif

6. Curry. Curry still landed the more and the better shots of the round but by the end Benitez was coming back. He seems to have recovered now.
7. Benitez. Benitez finally recovered and going back to what he was doing well at the start of the fight. Landing and getting out of the way in time.
8. Benitez
9. Benitez. Close round that. I guess Benitez boxed better and as I don't know how to score a drawn round in this system I'll give it to him. I assume you just don't give a point for a drawn round.
10. Benitez wins the final round for me.

5-5 Draw
95-92 Curry in today's scoring system.
Agreed with @One to watch, just can't see 7-3 for Benitez in that fight at all.

Another good match in styles. Benitez the better boxer but obviously once he got hurt it was always going to be tough to come back. Curry had some punch on him. I'm interested to see the rematch now, I see it was an MD next time but I wonder if Benitez showed he was the better man or it was actually close again.

What was that pre-round klaxon about??? A bit over the top. If I was a fighter that would shit me up. Imagine being Benitez, you're barely awake, nearly been KO'd and you've got that huge honk to wake you up for the next round.

This was a rare fight where an old school commentator got 90% of it wrong. Seemed like a nice chap though, encouraging the viewer to score it themselves for fun.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Imagine being Benitez, you're barely awake, nearly been KO'd and you've got that huge honk to wake you up for the next round.

I think that Klaxon might have been the only thing that got him through the fight

Can’t say as I’ve ever heard that klaxon before at a fight.Was this common place?

I was quite suprised to see how much of a slugger Curry was,I expected more of a technician.I felt for him.Benitez was undefeated in 30 fights,he was WBA light welter champ and he would go onto win the WBC and beat Duran before losing for the first time v Leonard.This would have been a massive scalp and he was a relatively unknown 13-0.

I know @Davie came across sudden death rounds in his middleweight thread,Curry had an 11 round sudden death win early on in his pro career.

Looking through boxrec I was pleased to see Curry did eventually win the WBC world title.

Country Flag
Northern Ireland
I scored it 5-5 in rounds, 95-92 Curry in today’s scoring system. Can only echo what has already been said in that it should have been stopped after Benitez front flipped between the ropes after the second knockdown—maybe even before then—and 7-3 Benitez is a rotten scorecard.

I know he was fighting on rubber legs for 6 or 7 rounds but in this fight it’s hard to see what is so special about Benitez imo.

No way he should have been able to go out for the fifth round. Benetiz went halfway through the ropes at the end of the fourth and couldn't stand on his own. Stop the fight there.

The round ends and he's so disoriented he doesn't know what to do. Stop the fight there.

He drops on his stool and is clearly dazed. He's not responding to his corner. Stop the fight there.

He gets dropped to start the next round. Stop the fight there.

The ref and his corner did a horrible job.

I gave this fight to Benitez on the round scoring used at the time, but with ten point must it would have gone to Curry.

Curry had a good start to the fight and two great rounds where he almost did a number on Benitez.

But I had Benitez edging the second and I gave him every round after the fifth.

Some of the rounds were very hard to score, but a fight like this does show that as much defensive wizardry as Benitez had, he was beatable, and not just by ATG calibre fighters.

Country Flag
Palestine
1. Curry
2. Benitez
3. Curry
4. Curry 10-7
5. Curry 10-8
6. Benitez
7. Benitez
8. Benitez
9. Benitez
10. Benitez

93 - 94 Bruce Curry

Was kind of disgusted the ref allowed Benitez to continue especially considering the poor illness the man has lived with in later life. Makes you realise athletic commissions really didn't know or care about the lasting damage caused by concussion