365 Day Challenge Day 267: Benny Brisco v Rodrigo Valdez II

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
I started this on the treadmill yesterday. Hadn't scored it but struggled to give Briscoe any of the first 4 rounds. Good body punching and working hard but so much more quality from Valdes. I'll catch the next few rounds shortly

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Watched the last 3 and it's still pretty much a shut out, with Briscoe typically giving plenty to every round just not quite enough to nick them.
Until the 7th, when he actually is winning it and really piles it on but again it once again just isn't enough. Right at the end they're both swinging and Bennie turns right onto a right hook.

Briscoe is always rated as a good win, despite having lots of losses on his slate.
Anytime I've seen him he always pushes his opponent, always gives the opponent hell and nobody stops Benny Briscoe, not Monzon, not Griffith, not Hagler and not Valdez on the two other occasions he tries.
But he not only stops him here, when Bennie gets up he really isn't fit to continue , he can barely hold his head up, which says a lot about that right hook.

Valdez was a fighter who Monzon supposedly ducked for a few years and it's no surprise, he's a quality fighter and clearly a dangerous fighter. This fight saw him lift the vacant WBC which forced the fight and he went on to give Monzon everything he could handle over 2 bouts before he retired.

Watched the last 3 and it's still pretty much a shut out, with Briscoe typically giving plenty to every round just not quite enough to nick them.
Until the 7th, when he actually is winning it and really piles it on but again it once again just isn't enough. Right at the end they're both swinging and Bennie turns right onto a right hook.

Briscoe is always rated as a good win, despite having lots of losses on his slate.
Anytime I've seen him he always pushes his opponent, always gives the opponent hell and nobody stops Benny Briscoe, not Monzon, not Griffith, not Hagler and not Valdez on the two other occasions he tries.
But he not only stops him here, when Bennie gets up he really isn't fit to continue , he can barely hold his head up, which says a lot about that right hook.

Valdez was a fighter who Monzon supposedly ducked for a few years and it's no surprise, he's a quality fighter and clearly a dangerous fighter. This fight saw him lift the vacant WBC which forced the fight and he went on to give Monzon everything he could handle over 2 bouts before he retired.

Did you carry on that thread looking at this era?

If you did I missed it

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Did you carry on that thread looking at this era?

If you did I missed it

No, much to the pleasure of @TSOL I couldn't show it the required commitment during 365.
It is on the back burner until January, when I'm really going to get to know Carlos Monzon

Valdez was quality but I never bought into the narrative that Monzon ducked him.

Monzon was the champ, Valdez should be dancing to his tune. And when he eventually did, he lost.

Country Flag
England
Video links to the wrong fight.

Also having got this far at least 1/3 of the threads no longer have a working video linked.