365 Day Challenge Day 20: Roman Gonzalez v Juan Francisco Estrada

Lunny

Shadowboxer's Nonsense Football Lottery Champ 2021
Staff member
Everything you want out of a lower weight fight. Fast paced and action packed.

I don't know what these Mexicans are saying but they're HYPED. :lol: One of them is literally interrupting to shout "AAAHAAAAY WAAAHOOOOO" like he's overtaking someone on mariokart :lol: It's fun but I wouldn't be able to stand this sort of comms energy every fight.

That 8th round was fuego. Chocalatito landing those chopping bolo style punches of his then Estrada fights of the ropes to come back into the fight and take the round for me (thought I've not bothered scoring it)

Great back and forth fight.

:rofl The Mexican commentary are outraged at the scores but they seem legit to me. "No no no no nooo". @Bogotazo needs to watch this and translate some of the stuff they're saying.

Rounds 10 and 11 are missing @Chatty @Lunny and anyone who likes to score @Thehaggis13 @Davie @Drew101 @Bolo

For what it’s worth the commentators scored the 10th and 11th rounds 1 to each fighter.

All done bar that,I am such a filthy causal that I’ve never seen this.

I haven’t got anything against the lower weights but it’s simply they aren’t televised very often and I ain’t streaming shit,a decision that is validated by these crazy Mexicans on this feed.

Julio Cesar Chavez gets introduced every now and again after a stream of consciousness Mexican style that sounds like horse racing commentary.

The one guy that keeps going ‘UH HA’ ‘UH HA’ is annoying as hell.

There’s even a promotion for an upcoming bout with OTH favourite Ben Tackie,taking on Canelos brother Ramón.

And what’s that? Is that Sly Stallone suited up?

Anyway it’s a really high quality boxing match but the visuals and sound do dampen my enjoyment of it a little.

Roman has such awesome footwork,he can get inside so subtly and impose suffocating pressure with his feet.
The same can be said of Estrada and his lateral footwork,anytime Roman gets on top with his smooth,fluid combination punching Estrada responds with his own effective and technical offence.

The 12th round is the CLEAR highlight,that is an epic round.surely a ‘round of the year’ contender.Non stop action and massive heart shown by both.

Not sure I can get on board with some of the Mexican scoring.

I’ve got a headache but hey I’m 20/20 and I’ve finally seen this fight :thumbsup

Lunny

Shadowboxer's Nonsense Football Lottery Champ 2021
Staff member
Rounds 10 and 11 are missing @Chatty @Lunny and anyone who likes to score @Thehaggis13 @Davie @Drew101 @Bolo

For what it’s worth the commentators scored the 10th and 11th rounds 1 to each fighter.

All done bar that,I am such a filthy causal that I’ve never seen this.

I haven’t got anything against the lower weights but it’s simply they aren’t televised very often and I ain’t streaming shit,a decision that is validated by these crazy Mexicans on this feed.

Julio Cesar Chavez gets introduced every now and again after a stream of consciousness Mexican style that sounds like horse racing commentary.

The one guy that keeps going ‘UH HA’ ‘UH HA’ is annoying as hell.

There’s even a promotion for an upcoming bout with OTH favourite Ben Tackie,taking on Canelos brother Ramón.

And what’s that? Is that Sly Stallone suited up?

Anyway it’s a really high quality boxing match but the visuals and sound do dampen my enjoyment of it a little.

Roman has such awesome footwork,he can get inside so subtly and impose suffocating pressure with his feet.
The same can be said of Estrada and his lateral footwork,anytime Roman gets on top with his smooth,fluid combination punching Estrada responds with his own effective and technical offence.

The 12th round is the CLEAR highlight,that is an epic round.surely a ‘round of the year’ contender.Non stop action and massive heart shown by both.

Not sure I can get on board with some of the Mexican scoring.

I’ve got a headache but hey I’m 20/20 and I’ve finally seen this fight :thumbsup
:rofl I didn't even notice the 2 missing rounds.

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland

Time stamped for 10 & 11

or start from the beginning if you want the full fight

Anyone seeing 19.833/20 isn't completing the challenge.

I demand commitment here

Initial thought are Estrada looks comfortably a weight division higher, part of the reason I rated Chocolatito so highly, he over-came a disadvantage in nearly every fight I watched him in, christ this fight was back in his light-flyweight days before he had came to my attention.

1. 9-10 Estrada. Estrada starting faster, with Roman coming out behind the tight guard, very compact, eyeing Estrada up. Estrada worked well at range, finding angles to get through and around the guard, doubling up trying to break down the guard and getting under it to bring it down. Not sure he was so successful but he was the only one trying for the first 2 minutes of the fight.
2. 9-10 Estrada, Having to punch in 2s and 3s and more to keep Roman off, still boxing well but the second he stops punching Roman pressures so well with his movement, coming in behind that high guard picking away with the jab to stay in range. You can see at this early stage that you are going to have to punch all round every round to stop him eventually taking over
3. 9-10 Estrada. Roman had success in the second half but Estrada had started well. Putting a lot of work in to the body, presumably with the logic that it will slow him down in later rounds, probably flawed logic knowing this relentless little bastard.
4. 9-10 Estrada, very close round. Estrada probably has his game plan spot on, let punches go in bunches and keep it varied to get round that guard. Roman can be hit, isn't a particularly great counter puncher and will start throwing again when you stop. Get your shots off and get on the move. He doesn't particularly respect the jab and he's just ignored the feints Estrada has flicked out, Estrada puts his work in, gets on the move and when Roman backs him to the ropes, cover up, keep the upper body moving and get out of there when you can. And hope you can maintain that for 12.....
5. 10-9 Gonzalez. Estrada still looking effective in centre ring when he lets his hands go but the gaps between his activity are lengthening and Roman pressing him back more, once he gets going he's impressive throwing in combination but also has a habit of getting shots off when you are both moving there were 2 points where Estrada was circling out of range and he must have though "why is there still a fucking glove in my face?"
6. 10-9 Gonzalez. Another close round, Roman not as relentless as I expected him to be at this point, when Estrada is slowing down. But he does press you back well, constantly adjusting the feet, rolling the upper body side to side and jabbing up and down and before you know your trapped on the ropes again. Estrada standing head-to-head in the centre of the ring with Roman at points not punching, not a place you want to be when he gets those little short compact hooks going
7. 10-9 Gonzalez. Good work from Gonzalez, couple of flurries where the compubox operator would be shaking their head and getting RSI tapping the buttons. Estrada never made the mistakes of the last round and got it tactically right, just got outboxed and out worked at times
8. 10-10 Even, outstanding round of boxing, so much right with it, fought centre ring with not a second of spoiling. Throw7 or 8 punches and let the other guys have a go. I've not paid enough attention to the skill in Gonzalez work, he is a damn good technician and that gets lost in the physicality and workrate when watching but the angles he makes and combinations he puts together if offensively brilliant
9. 9-10 Estrada. This sin't panning out the way I remember, the tidal wave of pressure isn't coming and Estrada is still boxing nicely. The jab I said wasn't working earlier looks to deterring Roman from coming straight forward now, he hasn't trapped him on the ropes the last couple rounds
10. 10-9 Gonzalez. Thank fuck we never lost rounds 10 & 11 as that was a great round. Roman boxing well but I haven't given him a clear round yet, there has not been 1 round where Estrada looked overwhelmed.
11. 10-9 Gonzalez. Quieter start to the round then it becomes closer to a brawl, the ref hasn't had to say a word to either man. I like the way Roman punches on the way out of exchanges, it just sticks in the mind as he has the final say in them
12. 9-10 Estrada what a last round from the little Mexican, Roman surprisingly looking the tireder of the two, not that his output was low but the work from Estrada here was heroic

114-115 Estrada. This is not how I remember this fight, I didn't score it the first time I watched it but my recollection was an even start to the fight, Roman taking over in the mid rounds and maintaining the pressure to the end for a fairly comfortable win.
Instead I have Estrada wining the first 4, I was right about the mid-round take over, then a very close end to the fight.
I sometimes question whether I even watched fights sometimes, my fucking memory is shocking :lol:
You can even tell the way I commented on the first 4 that I was anticipating the Chocolatito landslide that never transpired

But this was a close fight that could have gone either way, but the 116-112 score cards feel wide, the 118-110 is fucking criminal, even my mis-remembered first viewing wasn't that wide ffs.
The first and the last are absolute no brainer Estrada rounds, if you can't find a round in the 10 in between to give to Estrada, you're not fit to judge a boxing match IMHO

The fight was fought brilliantly with a great mixture of skill and violence and not a single intervention from the referee that I can remember.

Barring the second Rungvisai fight, that is the most impressive win (on my card anyway) over Roman Gonzalez. Given that Rungvisai had the height, power and weight advantage, it makes it all the more impressive Estrada did this at light Fly where Gonzalez was a machine.

Estrada is listed as a SBW, as he fought his last fight at 120lbs, is he intending on fighting that high? Or was it just a keep busy fight where they made no attempt to make weight? If so it'd be a shame that Estrada had climbed so far up the divisions and we will never see this played out again. We live in hope

Last edited:
Country Flag
United States of America
Initial thought are Estrada looks comfortably a weight division higher, part of the reason I rated Chocolatito so highly, he over-came a disadvantage in nearly every fight I watched him in, christ this fight was back in his light-flyweight days before he had came to my attention.

1. 9-10 Estrada. Estrada starting faster, with Roman coming out behind the tight guard, very compact, eyeing Estrada up. Estrada worked well at range, finding angles to get through and around the guard, doubling up trying to break down the guard and getting under it to bring it down. Not sure he was so successful but he was the only one trying for the first 2 minutes of the fight.
2. 9-10 Estrada, Having to punch in 2s and 3s and more to keep Roman off, still boxing well but the second he stops punching Roman pressures so well with his movement, coming in behind that high guard picking away with the jab to stay in range. You can see at this early stage that you are going to have to punch all round every round to stop him eventually taking over
3. 9-10 Estrada. Roman had success in the second half but Estrada had started well. Putting a lot of work in to the body, presumably with the logic that it will slow him down in later rounds, probably flawed logic knowing this relentless little bastard.
4. 9-10 Estrada, very close round. Estrada probably has his game plan spot on, let punches go in bunches and keep it varied to get round that guard. Roman can be hit, isn't a particularly great counter puncher and will start throwing again when you stop. Get your shots off and get on the move. He doesn't particularly respect the jab and he's just ignored the feints Estrada has flicked out, Estrada puts his work in, gets on the move and when Roman backs him to the ropes, cover up, keep the upper body moving and get out of there when you can. And hope you can maintain that for 12.....
5. 10-9 Gonzalez. Estrada still looking effective in centre ring when he lets his hands go but the gaps between his activity are lengthening and Roman pressing him back more, once he gets going he's impressive throwing in combination but also has a habit of getting shots off when you are both moving there were 2 points where Estrada was circling out of range and he must have though "why is there still a fucking glove in my face?"
6. 10-9 Gonzalez. Another close round, Roman not as relentless as I expected him to be at this point, when Estrada is slowing down. But he does press you back well, constantly adjusting the feet, rolling the upper body side to side and jabbing up and down and before you know your trapped on the ropes again. Estrada standing head-to-head in the centre of the ring with Roman at points not punching, not a place you want to be when he gets those little short compact hooks going
7. 10-9 Gonzalez. Good work from Gonzalez, couple of flurries where the compubox operator would be shaking their head and getting RSI tapping the buttons. Estrada never made the mistakes of the last round and got it tactically right, just got outboxed and out worked at times
8. 10-10 Even, outstanding round of boxing, so much right with it, fought centre ring with not a second of spoiling. Throw7 or 8 punches and let the other guys have a go. I've not paid enough attention to the skill in Gonzalez work, he is a damn good technician and that gets lost in the physicality and workrate when watching but the angles he makes and combinations he puts together if offensively brilliant
9. 9-10 Estrada. This sin't panning out the way I remember, the tidal wave of pressure isn't coming and Estrada is still boxing nicely. The jab I said wasn't working earlier looks to deterring Roman from coming straight forward now, he hasn't trapped him on the ropes the last couple rounds
10. 10-9 Gonzalez. Thank fuck we never lost rounds 10 & 11 as that was a great round. Roman boxing well but I haven't given him a clear round yet, there has not been 1 round where Estrada looked overwhelmed.
11. 10-9 Gonzalez. Quieter start to the round then it becomes closer to a brawl, the ref hasn't had to say a word to either man. I like the way Roman punches on the way out of exchanges, it just sticks in the mind as he has the final say in them
12. 9-10 Estrada what a last round from the little Mexican, Roman surprisingly looking the tireder of the two, not that his output was low but the work from Estrada here was heroic

114-115 Estrada. This is not how I remember this fight, I didn't score it the first time I watched it but my recollection was an even start to the fight, Roman taking over in the mid rounds and maintaining the pressure to the end for a fairly comfortable win.
Instead I have Estrada wining the first 4, I was right about the mid-round take over, then a very close end to the fight.
I sometimes question whether I even watched fights sometimes, my fucking memory is shocking :lol:

But this was a close fight that could have gone either way, but the 116-112 score cards feel wide, the 118-110 is fucking criminal, even my mis-remembered first viewing wasn't that wide ffs.

The fight was fought brilliantly with a great mixture of skill and violence and not a single intervenmtion from the referee that I can remember.

Barring the second Rungvisai fight, that is the most impressive win (on my card anyway) over Roman Gonzalez. Given that Rungvisai had the height, power and weight advantage, it makes it all the more impressive Estrada did this at light Fly where Gonzalez was a machine.

Estrada is listed as a SBW, as he fought his last fight at 120lbs, is he intending on fighting that high? Or was it just a keep busy fight where they made no attempt to make weight? If so it'd be a shame that Estrada had climbed so far up the divisions and we will never see this played out again. We live in hope
I believe it was just a stay busy fight against a former sparring partner of his. From what I’ve last heard, he still plans on winning a title at Super Fly.

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
I believe it was just a stay busy fight against a former sparring partner of his. From what I’ve last heard, he still plans on winning a title at Super Fly.

Boxrec have jumped the gun and listed him as a super bantamweight.
So it might yet happen again, mind you I don't know what I'm hoping for, there's no chance it'd be as good second time round

Country Flag
United States of America
Boxrec have jumped the gun and listed him as a super bantamweight.
So it might yet happen again, mind you I don't know what I'm hoping for, there's no chance it'd be as good second time round
Yeh 2013-2016 was the best time for a rematch. I think Estrada would clearly beat him this time around, going on how they have looked lately.

Country Flag
Norway
Yeh 2013-2016 was the best time for a rematch. I think Estrada would clearly beat him this time around, going on how they have looked lately.

Estadas form has been weird tbf. He looked great and was unlucky v Srisaket, his fight with Cuadras, he lost a lot of rounds early and flipped it round by the end and showed some excellent adjustments but he looked awful v Orocuta, like that was legitimately close going to the last couple of rounds imo. Aint seen the Mendes fight as yet though.

Roman looked good against Fuentes on return and I thought he won the first Srisaket fight though the second he was destroyed. A lot of changing of coaches and injuries of late though, never a good sign.

Id still like ti see it, I think roman matches better against Estrada even if he did lose.

Country Flag
United States of America
Estadas form has been weird tbf. He looked great and was unlucky v Srisaket, his fight with Cuadras, he lost a lot of rounds early and flipped it round by the end and showed some excellent adjustments but he looked awful v Orocuta, like that was legitimately close going to the last couple of rounds imo. Aint seen the Mendes fight as yet though.

Roman looked good against Fuentes on return and I thought he won the first Srisaket fight though the second he was destroyed. A lot of changing of coaches and injuries of late though, never a good sign.

Id still like ti see it, I think roman matches better against Estrada even if he did lose.
He looked pretty good against Mendes, especially in the last 2 rounds of the fight. Not quite as good as against Srisaket but definitely better than he did against Orocuta.