365 Day Challenge Day 2: Ezzard Charles v Lloyd Marshall II

Ring Magazine had Marshall as their pound for pound #1 in 1945 i think it said in Toledos book

Boxrec is fantastic,Whats the alternative? I aint pulling a Ring record book everytime i wanna check something

This is great. Pushes me to watch more boxing, and a variety of stuff. Never seen either of these guys at work before.
I got the feeling early on that Charles seemed stronger, though I'd have to wait for the KO to find out it was him as I can't tell who's who. Got up well from the body shot knockdown early and pretty much seemed to dominate from there.
The KO hook looked like a proper rib crusher, seemed to strike quite high, not in the liver or stomach. Fuck being on the receiving end of that!

Had never seen any of this fight. Great to learn more about the past. Charles was beast, Marshall is getting forgotten to the sands of time.

[QUO

Lets be honest, we know a bit about boxing but no one can just produce that shit off the top of their head unless they're some kind of rain man fucker. Even the stuff I do genuinely know, needs cross checked before I state it with any authority

I do the same thing, cross check. For one, I want to be sure I'm correct. And if I don't do it, somebody else on the board will pull up boxrec and make me look like a fool.

This is great. Pushes me to watch more boxing, and a variety of stuff. Never seen either of these guys at work before.
I got the feeling early on that Charles seemed stronger, though I'd have to wait for the KO to find out it was him as I can't tell who's who. Got up well from the body shot knockdown early and pretty much seemed to dominate from there.
The KO hook looked like a proper rib crusher, seemed to strike quite high, not in the liver or stomach. Fuck being on the receiving end of that!

Good to see another member of the ‘365 club’.

(entrants attain ATG status)

Aside from the knock down early on I think Charles dominates this affair.

He gets caught off balance back pedalling and Marshall landed a great left hook to drop him, but from then on in Charles controlled every range.

When they were up close his shot selection was superior, when they were mid range his hand speed meant he got off first and when they were at range his footwork kept him away from danger.

Marshall was an expert boxer, but here he looked little more than a come firward brawler. Looks much more Apostoli than Hopkins.

It's crazy how Charles went from being dominated in the first fight to dominating here. Marshall was hapless and I very much believe its down to being out matched.

The finish came in brutal fashion as Charles was landing clean shot after clean shot until one too many hit home and Lloyd was down for the count.

It's crazy how Charles went from being dominated in the first fight to dominating here. Marshall was hapless and I very much believe its down to being out matched.

without having the footage, I’m inclined to believe the injury excuse from their first fight. Of the 8 knockdowns, 2 were no counts, 3 were 1 counts, 2 were 2 counts and just 1 seems like a proper kd (8 count)

seems like a very odd pattern if he wasn’t injured

View attachment 690

From about 40-52 it's an absolute disgrace seeing the likes of Lesnevich, Mills and Maxim dominate that title at a time when Ezzard and Moore are active, Jimmy Bivins, Harold Johnston, Lloyd Marshall, Jack Chase, Bert Lytell, Oakland Billy Smith, Eddie Booker, Booker Beckwith and the Alabama kid all appear in the upper reaches of the LHW rankings

I think Billy Fox was one of the very few ranked light heavyweight fighters to get a chance prior to Archie Moore
[/Just quick line, reading some of your posts ref Lloyd Marshall, I’m just learning all bout that era, didn’t realise so many clips online of them all, murders row era.not enough sadly, thanks for insight on Marshall. No doubt he in the book I’m bout to start, murdereres row. Can’t get hold of the Charley burley one, mega expensive the ones knocking about 🥊

Cheers guys , top one rare now , Iv ordered the second one, cheapest I found was £17!!! It’s fine left over chrimbo money!!!

Last edited: