365 Day Challenge Day 2: Ezzard Charles v Lloyd Marshall II

Country Flag
Norway
So day two sees us head back to 1946 for a fight between two guys who at this point where in the Murderers Row of fighters who couldnt get a shot at the title for love nor money despite both being able to stake a claim that they were the best LHWs out there.

This was the second meeting, three years after the first which Marshall dominated winning every round and knicking Ezzard down eight times before it was stopped.

Charles had claimed injury so this was his chance to prove that was the case.

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
Decent scrap although they did get tied up too often, both trying to launch fast heavy assaults and close range quickly led to them falling in too often.

Not sure if this was representative of Marshall in general but his defence didn't look up to much either, not sure if he relied on reflexes abd movement but he held his hands low and it looked like Ezzard got plenty of success from this through each round. Of course with the old footage it is always difficult to see how clean sone of these shots land

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland

Bit more footage, looks a little clearer but there's only 3 minutes of it.

Does this make me 3/2?

Edit, think it's just a part of the same footage from the OP. Pointless.

Last edited:

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
This era of Murderers row fighters alway fascinates me, I've watched footage here and there, where i can.

But the poor quality of clips, usually just highlights with sections of round like we have above, doesn't give the full picture.

This is where Boxrec surfing really comes into its own, I love reading the records of guys like these. I mean just look at this:
Link to Ezzards record <=click me

Just scour the names alone up to and including Marciano in 54. He's 85-11-1 and he has fought everybody, then you start clicking other top names and seeing the same names appearing on everyones record, then you look at the stories behind them. What a time to follow boxing that must have been, the fact you couldn't get regular footage at the time would have been brutal, the boxing mags would have been incredible though.

Here's Lloyds record:
http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/128

Not quite as impressive as Ezzards but still a bloody who's who of boxing from the 30s/40s/50s.

I could sit and read this shit for hours.

Country Flag
Canada
Nasty hook to end it. Charles regrouped really well after getting his bell rung earlier in the fight.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
Nasty hook to end it. Charles regrouped really well after getting his bell rung earlier in the fight.

It wasn't until I watched that other little segment of footage that I realised it was Ezzard that got put down

Country Flag
Norway
Good fight, not the best footage but you see enough to get a scope of what the fighters were about.

Shame theres not a lot of footage on either. Both look like fun fighters to watch, Marshalls a bit more of a wrescking machine but Ezzard looks fast on his feet when hes moving.

Some heavy punching taking place here and you can tell both are going for the kill. Ezzard takes the KD well, doesnt hurry and when he rises is clear and ready to roll, lands some good punches on Marshall throughout then Marshall looks completely gone for the KO, struggles to. Rise even after the fights is over.

beautiful timing on that hook.

some beautiful boxing by the Cincinnati Cobra at the beginning of round 3. what a fighter he was.

So this is the type of bout that really attracts me to this challenge.

I have heard all about Charles of course but really know very little of substance.Marshall to me is a total mystery.

First off the footage is poor and the sound non excistent but what originally seems a largely negative viewing experience quickly becomes fascinating.This era is so distinct in boxing,the busy smoke filled halls and the basic almost primeval feel of the sport at its most pure.I can see why there’s such an attraction to studying the old timers.

Charles has a nice style,Marshall is more untidy and it seems to me a lot of the early clinching comes about because of his urge to force the pace and make it a rough fight rather than a boxing match (I could be wrong here,I mean I am struggling to tell who is who FFS :lol:)
Charles attempts to pick his punches and box in mid range but swings in hard hooks and goes to the body well when asserting his authority.

A quick google/boxrec tells me Marshall beat Ezzard Charles (their first meeting,he dropped Charles 8 times),Charles Burley,Freddie Mills,Jake Lamotta,Joey Maxim,Holman Williams and many more on the way to his eventual 70-25-4 record.A year on from this he would meet Charles for a third time but succumb to a 2nd round KO.
He never officially fought for a world title but did win the ‘duration’ world light heavyweight title,his peak years were whilst the Second World War.
Marshall like Charles is an IBHOF inductee.

Charles also lost 25 times in this incredibly tough era,most of those in the last few years of his pro career when he was past his best.
He racked up a 95-25-1 record and even casuals like me know the basics on him.Possibly the greatest light heavyweight of all time,won and defended the world heavyweight title nine times and is considered one of the greatest boxers to have ever laced them up.His resume is quite simply ridiculously deep when viewed through the eyes of a modern day fan.

Great stuff :thumbup

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
So this is the type of bout that really attracts me to this challenge.

I have heard all about Charles of course but really know very little of substance.Marshall to me is a total mystery.

First off the footage is poor and the sound non excistent but what originally seems a largely negative viewing experience quickly becomes fascinating.This era is so distinct in boxing,the busy smoke filled halls and the basic almost primeval feel of the sport at its most pure.I can see why there’s such an attraction to studying the old timers.

Charles has a nice style,Marshall is more untidy and it seems to me a lot of the early clinching comes about because of his urge to force the pace and make it a rough fight rather than a boxing match (I could be wrong here,I mean I am struggling to tell who is who FFS :lol:)
Charles attempts to pick his punches and box in mid range but swings in hard hooks and goes to the body well when asserting his authority.

A quick google/boxrec tells me Marshall beat Ezzard Charles (their first meeting,he dropped Charles 8 times),Charles Burley,Freddie Mills,Jake Lamotta,Joey Maxim,Holman Williams and many more on the way to his eventual 70-25-4 record.A year on from this he would meet Charles for a third time but succumb to a 2nd round KO.
He never officially fought for a world title but did win the ‘duration’ world light heavyweight title,his peak years were whilst the Second World War.
Marshall like Charles is an IBHOF inductee.

Charles also lost 25 times in this incredibly tough era,most of those in the last few years of his pro career when he was past his best.
He racked up a 95-25-1 record and even casuals like me know the basics on him.Possibly the greatest light heavyweight of all time,won and defended the world heavyweight title nine times and is considered one of the greatest boxers to have ever laced them up.His resume is quite simply ridiculously deep when viewed through the eyes of a modern day fan.

Great stuff :thumbup

I've read people say that they reckoned he was suffering from the early stages of the motor neuron disease that eventually killed him during the later days of his career.

I don't know how much truth there is in that but if you look at the trajectory of his career from Marciano onwards he definitely went downhill fast.

I've read people say that they reckoned he was suffering from the early stages of the motor neuron disease that eventually killed him during the later days of his career.

I don't know how much truth there is in that but if you look at the trajectory of his career from Marciano onwards he definitely went downhill fast.

I was just taking a glance through and after the 2 hard bouts with Marciano he went from being one of the best in the world to losing against sub par opposition in no time at all.

Obviously he must have been ring worn by then,he had a brutal career but interesting you say that could have been the cause.

They don’t make them like they used to.Top level boxing in that era was such a demanding discipline.These guys were exceptionally tough.Nowadays we talk about career ending beat downs or fighters never being the same again after one loss!!!

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
I was just taking a glance through and after the 2 hard bouts with Marciano he went from being one of the best in the world to losing against sub par opposition in no time at all.

Obviously he must have been ring worn by then,he had a brutal career but interesting you say that could have been the cause.

They don’t make them like they used to.Top level boxing in that era was such a demanding discipline.These guys were exceptionally tough.Nowadays we talk about career ending beat downs or fighters never being the same again after one loss!!!

I don't know myself, as I said I just read others say they reckoned there was signs of it. I'm sure I read soneone say he demonstrated symptoms during one of his latter fights.

I have absolutely no idea how much truth there might be in that, but he definitely went downhill fast.

Chacal

King Champ
Country Flag
Palestine
You can really see what they mean when they talk about inside fighting being a dead art today. Those right uppercuts on the inside in the first round were fantastic. Lots of slick wrestling and positional warfare.

You can really see what they mean when they talk about inside fighting being a dead art today. Those right uppercuts on the inside in the first round were fantastic. Lots of slick wrestling and positional warfare.

Constant work as well,no posturing or taking a breather.

Country Flag
Norway

Good little Ezzard montage here. Much better footage than we have here and you get to see Ezzard work a bit better, albeit nearing the end of his prime in most of those fights.

Reminds me of a massive version of Robinson tbh, not as fast mind in either feet nor hands but the way he dictates his range, combinations he throws, way he sets his shots up. He moves like him as well just not as much speed (though heavys dont and this isnt the prime version). Robinson is more graceful with his punchibg though, Ezzards shots are slightly telegraphed but he comes from weird angles ans they look stiff (as in hard).