365 Day Challenge Day 17: Julio Cesar Chavez v Meldrick Taylor I

Taylor’s corner were telling him in the corner after the 11th “You need this round”. Absolutely horrendous decision to tell him that. I would have been saying box him and stay on your feet.
Who was in Taylor's corner? Lou Duva. The silly cunt waving the fucking towel while Meldrick, completely fucked, looked over Richard's shoulder at Lou waving the towel.

"You okay, Taylor?" No response whatsoever.

Taylor’s corner were telling him in the corner after the 11th “You need this round”. Absolutely horrendous decision to tell him that. I would have been saying box him and stay on your feet.
Never tell your fighter 'you need this round'.

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
Never tell your fighter 'you need this round'.

What if he needs the round?

If anything I've seen fighters with a narrow lead and thought, if I were in his corner I'd be telling him he needs this round. Seen plenty fighters go back out thinking they can cruise to a finish and regret it

What if he needs the round?

If anything I've seen fighters with a narrow lead and thought, if I were in his corner I'd be telling him he needs this round. Seen plenty fighters go back out thinking they can cruise to a finish and regret it
I see your point Davie. I'm just a touch sceptical telling boxers that they 'need that round'. Puts panic in their mind.

But who am I? I'm not Manny Steward or either of the Petronelli brothers, so maybe my position isn't right.

I do respect your opinion, mind.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
I see your point Davie. I'm just a touch sceptical telling boxers that they 'need that round'. Puts panic in their mind.

But who am I? I'm not Manny Steward or either of the Petronelli brothers, so maybe my position isn't right.

I do respect your opinion, mind.

I've never trained a boxer and am no better qualified than yourself
But knowing a little about human nature, I think a lot of it would need to be case specific, you should know your fighter and how they'll react and how to motivate them. Different strokes for different folks
You'll be right with some fighters, they might need the round but you'd be wary of telling them that, in fear of worrying them.
Others, like a James Toney, cool as a cucumber and maybe needs a kick up the arse, even if you think he's 2 rounds up, you can happily give him a kick up the arse. Fuck even telling him that he might ignore you and go cruise through the fucking 12th anyway.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
The opponent in this case is also not one you want to be telling your fighter to go toe to toe with after putting so much effort into the first 33 minutes.

Very true.

Certainly a case of knowing when to tell your fighter to go for it and this was most certainly not the time, with their man well ahead, busted up pretty bad and in with one of the hardest bastards in the history of the sport

Lunny

Shadowboxer's Nonsense Football Lottery Champ 2021
Staff member
Chavez-Taylor

1. 9-10 Taylor's handspeed really making the difference. Chavez seemingly trying to feel him out. Good Taylor round.

2. 10-9 Chavez. Taylor was winning the round but Chavez was having some success that HBO seemingly didn't want to talk about. It was close but for Taylor until the last 20 seconds or so when Chavez landed some nice shots. Chavez round for me.

At times watching Taylor feels like they've sped up the video.

3. 9-10 Taylor but I think Chavez is doing a lot better than the commentary is making out.

4. 9-19 but this commentary is getting on my tits now. I feel like that round was close with Chavez landing the harder shots but Taylor winning it on volume.

5. 9-10

6. 9-10 That bolo punch from Taylor! Guilty pleasure....I know I shouldn't but I love a good windup on a bolo.

7. 9-10 Taylor landing them left hooks. Hurts Chavez. Jim Lampley now bragging that he's been telling all his friends Taylor would win... Taylor really getting into it now, landing a variety of shots.

CORNERWORK: Chavez's corner pouring water down his trunks.

8. 9-10 Taylor is dominant at this point.

9. 9-10 JEEEZUS that handspeed on Taylor. Chavez landing plenty of nice hooks from the inside there but Taylor still getting the best of it, concentrating to the body. Ohgoodshot Chavez lands a clean right hand. Lampley getting to ridic levels now. That was a very competitive round and the way they're going on you could think it was a 10-8 to Taylor.

10. 9-10 What a round. They start trading in the first minute and Taylor clearly comes out better, landing a 10000 punch combination in 0.05 seconds. Chavez then wins the rest of the round but the action in the first minute was bigger than the rest of the round. Taylor starting to get beat up here though. He's miles ahead but he's took more damage.

11. 10-9 This fight is brutal for Taylor, winning the fight but those shots from Chavez are hard and clean and have been all night. He is beat up.

CORNERWORK: That's insane...Telling Taylor he needs this round....He's beat up, needs to get on his bike. That's cost him the fight. Bizarre bit of advice.

12. Taylor's come out chasing it and throwing smfh.... The noise in that arena when Chavez drops him!

OOOOF That's painful. I blame it 100% on Taylor's corner telling him he needed the 12th. WTF?

It's gutting for Taylor but fair, Taylor was KO'd, not ready to continue. Doesn't matter if it's 2 seconds after the start or 2 seconds before the end. Fair play to Richard Steele.

The fight was a lot more competitive than HBO made out. Lederman is the man after the fight, telling it like it is after Merchant's nonsense.

"I'm not the timekeeper, I don't care about the time, when I see a man that's had enough I'm gonna stop it"

Richard Steele did a fantastic job and justified it perfectly. I don't want to say it was a brave call given that he didn't know how long was left but he had to have had an inkling that it would be hugely controversial. He put the boxer's health and well being first.

Lunny

Shadowboxer's Nonsense Football Lottery Champ 2021
Staff member
Leonard and Lampley look like they're at a funeral in the postfight talk. Sky levels bias in here, not something you usually get from the Americans tbf.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
I think first time I scored it, I gave Taylor every round and I felt people felt compelled to give JCC close rounds because he had some success,

You lying cunt

davie wrote:

JCC vs Taylor

1. 9 - 10 Taylor
2. 10 - 10 Even
3. 9 - 10 Taylor
4. 10 - 10 Even
5. 9 - 10 Taylor
6. 9 - 10 Taylor
7. 9 - 10 Taylor
8. 9 - 10 Taylor
9. 9 - 10 Taylor
10. 10 - 9 Chaves
11. 10 - 10 Even
12. Heartbreaking stoppage, hard to argue against the ref, who didn't know the time and could see he was gone but for the viewer knowing there's 2 seconds left, that was painful to watch

I could have scored the 2nd and 4th to Taylor, I felt he was winning but Chaves did enough to nick a share.
I never had Chaves ahead in a round up to and including the halfway point in round 10. Fantastic performance and very fortunate for Chaves

103-109 I scored it. That's closer than I did this time round.
What a slaverin hoor
:lol:

I had Taylor way ahead for this one. Don't get me wrong Chav3z consistently landed big shots, but it was nowhere near enough to mitigate the volume, speed and accuracy coming from Taylor.

Taylor won a fair few of the inside exchanges early on with his body work.

Chav3z maybe took 3 rounds at a push going into the final round.

No complaints about the stoppage, Chav3z really pulled it out of the bag and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat here.

One of the greatest come from behind victories ever.

Country Flag
England
My favorite fight of all time. Fast paced savagery on the inside, tremendous exchanges, brutal combinations, and a brilliant come from behind win. Phenomenal epic fight between two at the time top 5 p4pers. It was nowhere near being the domination the HBO team would like to have you believe. I had Taylor up 7 rounds to 4 heading into the 12th.

I have always maintained that Barrera-Morales I is the greatest single fight of all time, but this may be the most re-watchable. There is an undeniable aura in the air that something special and historic is about to take place during both of the combatants ring walks. It really is palpable.

In terms of what transpired inside the ring, I have to concur with the posters here who have suggested that the commentary team was failing to recognise the good work from JCC. This seemed to be a common phenomenon however, because the same thing happened during JCC's fight with Mario Martinez and Dwight Pratchett. The Mexican was really cute on the inside – slipping, rolling, and firing back with meaningful punches. He was incredible at this, especially with his back against the ropes.

Specifically in this fight, it seemed to be the right hand lead that was doing most of the damage for Chavez. Short shots on the inside that could easily be missed by on-lookers, but they take there toll over a 12 round fight. The evidence for this was the state of Taylor's face by the championship rounds. Despite being told by the commentary team that we had been witnesses to a one-sided boxing masterclass on the part of the American, Taylor looked like he had been kicked in the face by Larry Holmes. A jarring image to say the least.

This isn't to gloss over the success Taylor undeniably had though, as he was fantastic through 9 rounds. He really made it difficult for Chavez in there by setting a frantic pace early which meant you had no choice but to award the majority of the rounds to him. But he wasn't only a victim of a questionable call from seasoned referee Richard Steele, he was also the victim of his own pride which caused him to go shot for shot with JCC in the dying embers of the fight, despite him obviously labouring by this point.

As for the scoring, I only had Taylor 2 points up going into the 12th because I felt he lost rounds 9-11. I also managed to give round 2 to Chavez and scored the third even. Admittedly this might have been a little charitable to the Mexican so I am perfectly fine with the idea that a knockout was needed for Chavez to win at the point of the stoppage. As for the call, it's questionable, but Taylor wasn't responsive to Steele's questions. He didn't even look at him.

Phenomenal fight!