365 Day Challenge Day 17: Julio Cesar Chavez v Meldrick Taylor I

Country Flag
United States of America
My favorite fight of all time. Fast paced savagery on the inside, tremendous exchanges, brutal combinations, and a brilliant come from behind win. Phenomenal epic fight between two at the time top 5 p4pers. It was nowhere near being the domination the HBO team would like to have you believe. I had Taylor up 7 rounds to 4 heading into the 12th.

Country Flag
Canada
All time classic, and like @Zopilote, I think it wasn't quite as one sided as the commentators made it out to be. Chavez was landing the heavier punches throughout the fight, and had turned Taylor's face into an abstract portrait. Stoppage was perfectly justifiable given the punishment Taylor had taken- and given the fact that he didn't respond to Steele when asked.

Moretti had the only card within a reasonable range, imo. 107-102 to 105-104 Taylor seemed like an appropriate scores to me.

Country Flag
Ukraine
I gave Chavez 3 rds (2,10,11) and that's generous.

There is no doubt JCC inflicted terrible punishment on Taylor irrespective of the scorecards. Dr Flip Nomanski said Taylor had fractured orbital, kidney damage, grotesque facial swelling and no doubt a badly beaten brain. Taylor had an extended stay in the hospital afterwards pissing pure blood FFS.

The stoppage...

First and foremost I respect the call from the ring official. He had good reasoning. There are many good arguments for or against. whichever way you look at the situation was borderline. Its the refs call at the end of the day and we accept it. Steele is is the clear.

Had it been me officiating though? I would have tried examining longer than Steele did before making the call and that might have given benefit of the doubt considering the situation. It would likely result in the fight continueing for 2 more measly seconds. I do believe officials are perveyors of the sport in the public eye and the controversy afterward was simply not worth it. Here we are 20 years later still arguing. I believe the call damaged Steeles career

I'll say it as well - There is a definite cloud of corruption, suspicion that follows throughout JCC career. Boxing is a corrupt sport there is little doubt of that. JCC was afforded advantage, privelege and outright gifts all the way through his career. For example look at Giampas card that had JCC winning BEFORE the 12th. This brings situations like the Taylor fight into serious dispute. This is an unneccesary shame on him and the sport because Chavez already might of been the toughest fighter of all time and had a legendary career.

Last edited:
Country Flag
Northern Ireland
HBO were quite biased towards Taylor here, rarely called a punch for Chavez all night and I don’t think a word was said for the entire last 30 seconds. That said, I thought Taylor did enough to win most rounds, outboxing and outfighting Chavez for the most part. He was terrific for 35 minutes.

With watching the whole fight and not just the last minute of it you can’t help but feel sorry for Taylor. I agree with Richard Steele though, it’s not his job to know how long is left in a round and he has to look at a fighter and analyse if they are fit to continue in a matter of a few seconds. Taylor didn’t look fit to continue.

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
I gave Chavez 3 rds (2,10,11) and that's generous.

I think first time I scored it, I gave Taylor every round and I felt people felt compelled to give JCC close rounds because he had some success, made it his kind of round or inflicted damage.
But I felt on the balance of each round viewed in isolation, Meldrick deserved every one of those first 11 rounds.

As for the stoppage, I was being sarcastic when I first posted in the thread. Because my initial reaction, as with most people who viewed it live or for a first time, was heart break at seeing it that way, that late.

After some discussion on another forum, I came round to realise that that was the only way the ref could call it and he'd have failed in his duty of care to the fighter if he let him take so much as one more punch but that was a very bitter pill to swallow.

I'll watch this tonight, I'm interested to see if I can give Chavez a round this time

Country Flag
Ukraine
I think first time I scored it, I gave Taylor every round and I felt people felt compelled to give JCC close rounds because he had some success, made it his kind of round or inflicted damage.
But I felt on the balance of each round viewed in isolation, Meldrick deserved every one of those first 11 rounds.

As for the stoppage, I was being sarcastic when I first posted in the thread. Because my initial reaction, as with most people who viewed it live or for a first time, was heart break at seeing it that way, that late.

After some discussion on another forum, I came round to realise that that was the only way the ref could call it and he'd have failed in his duty of care to the fighter if he let him take so much as one more punch but that was a very bitter pill to swallow.

I'll watch this tonight, I'm interested to see if I can give Chavez a round this time

I can see the reasoning you're saying! I tried not to fall into that trap. 2nd Rd was definitely a swing round I'm sure of that. I suppose 10 was generous but Chavez quality stepped up at this point, 11 even stronger case. I can rewatch though

I don't dispute Steeles call. He did his job. A top official in his day.

Me personally.... I wouldn't have rushed it given so late in Rd 12. A champ has the right to show he is properly ready to finish the fight. Fury vs Wilder for example. It just seemed rushed for my taste but perfectly valid also. everyone has their own judgement.

I read comments back in the day from ESB classic forum from people who attended. JG I think. All accounts say the film didn't do it justice, JCC shots were echoing around the arena that night and Taylor was beaten in a bad way.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
I can see the reasoning you're saying! I tried not to fall into that trap. 2nd Rd was definitely a swing round I'm sure of that. I suppose 10 was generous but Chavez quality stepped up at this point, 11 even stronger case. I can rewatch though

I don't dispute Steeles call. He did his job. A top official in his day.

Me personally.... I wouldn't have rushed it given so late in Rd 12. A champ has the right to show he is properly ready to finish the fight. Fury vs Wilder for example. It just seemed rushed for my taste but perfectly valid also. everyone has their own judgement.

I read comments back in the day from ESB classic forum from people who attended. JG I think. All accounts say the film didn't do it justice, JCC shots were echoing around the arena that night and Taylor was beaten in a bad way.

2. 9-10 Taylor. Busier and landed more, mainly jabs and some punches to hip (commentary picked up on his corner teling him to aim for shoulders and hip, interesting tactic) , a good few sharp lit counters but I see what you mean about the thudding noise of Chavez heavier shots, you can hear the difference in power. A close round and both landed one properly telling shot. Chavez came on putting pressure on in the last 10-20 seconds, I could understand someone scoring this the other way, I'm still leaning to Taylor
10. 10-10 Really tough round to score this time round, Meldrick flies out with a quick combo, takes a breather then catches Chavez with a couple of really fast, flashy and accurate combinations, real eye catching stuff. From there Chavez just steadily works away for the remainder of the round, Taylor stays with him, and has his success but if it wasn't for the start Taylor made, Chaves is getting the edge in the inside work, when it's a at a steady pace. I can't ignore that early work though and feel Meldrick deserves at least a share of the round (notice the highlights after only show Taylors success)
11. 10-9 Chavez. Yes, I scored that one wrong first time round I think. A very close round still but this is fought for 3 minutes in Chavez territory, Meldrick never gives himself space to work and doesn't get anything off in combination. They throw a similar amount, probably land a similar amount, but I probably didn't account for the effect of the punches last time I scored them. Meldrick shots can look more snappy at time because of his faster hands, but there's more effect to Chavez shots, partly because he digs in and throws harder but partly because Chavez is a stereotypically hard Mexican son of a bitch. Taylors shots do seem to be bouncing off him
12. I haven't scored the 12th before but I think Taylor had done enough in the first 2 minutes to win that round too :lol:
Had the bell rang 20 second earlier he even takes this one, absolutely unbelievable finish.

There's no doubt the other 9 rounds go to Meldrick Taylor, an astonishing boxing display from him.

Regards the finish, has Steele got out the way there was less that 4 seconds left for Chavez to get across the ring and throw another punch, he might not even have got there, a remarkable finish.

Country Flag
Ukraine
10. 10-10 Really tough round to score this time round, Meldrick flies out with a quick combo, takes a breather then catches Chavez with a couple of really fast, flashy and accurate combinations, real eye catching stuff. From there Chavez just steadily works away for the remainder of the round, Taylor stays with him, and has his success but if it wasn't for the start Taylor made, Chaves is getting the edge in the inside work, when it's a at a steady pace. I can't ignore that early work though and feel Meldrick deserves at least a share of the round (notice the highlights after only show Taylors success)
Yes ! 10-10 is fair. Meldrick did most of the work I remember Julio's heavy shots towards the end and thinking the same thing.

It's tough situation - scoring a volume puncher vs an effective power puncher. There can be just a few good definitive shots that even out the round for the puncher after all the volumes punchers hard work. You have to think very hard and fast whether to award it or not.

Country Flag
Norway
Great comeback. Taylor near cleaned up imo. I gave Chavez rounds 2 and 11 but you can see Chavez breaking him down.

Round nine Taylor decides to stand and trade and that was a bad tactic, dunno if he was just shattered but he ships a lot of punches from there even if he still wins the rounds, Chavez is hard as fuck though, doesnt really get a dent put in him and he takes some flush shots.

No problem with the stoppage, Taylor was done.

Our great friend Joe Rein (RIP) was bang ringside for this fight. He maintained Taylor was on the slide from round 6. He also said that when Taylor walked out for the 12th he was (in his words) 'a dead man walking'.

Richard Steele did the right thing, whether there was two seconds left or ten minutes left.

Taylor was never the same again after that fight.

Davie

Country Flag
Scotland
One thing I don't think has been properly acknowledged here.
Meldrick Taylor, for at least 9 of those 12 rounds was absolutely magnificent, against a man that was not just considered great but widely regarded at the time as the single best fighter, at any weight class, on the planet.
He was fast, he was technically brilliant and sublimely skillful. Some have said they overplayed how one-sided it was.
Perhaps but you cannot over-play how brilliant a performance that was to be dominant over the very best in the sport. For 11.89 rounds of that fight...performances don't get much better.

Ok watched in full and then I’ll do Eubank-Benn next.Jennings-Rivas and Andrade-Akavov in the morning then tomorrow’s challenge and eventually Pac man-Broner.

Phew...boxing is back.

So first off I believe it shouldn’t have been stopped.I think he could and should have been given another chance,time was irrelavant yes but it felt too quick a decision by Steele.

-Leonard was sucking Meldrick off all night long.
-That said despite the HBO bias,Taylor was a long way ahead and deservedly.I don’t buy into how it was close at all.
-Chavez straight right is a beautiful shot,so precise and he somehow makes it look effortless.
-This was a HARD fight,some of the later rounds I really enjoyed.The stamina sapping pace left both open to clean punches.
-Taylor worked incredibly hard,over 1,000 punches thrown through 11 rounds and he came out in the 12th and wanted to fight.
-Taylor was very effective to the body.
-It’s almost eerie watching Taylor stood there solid legged with 30 odd seconds to go unawares of the pandemonium that is about to break out.

High class fight and I felt for Taylor.Luckily history remembers his efforts :thumbsup