365 Day Challenge Day 113: Marco Antonio Barrera v Erik Morales II

Davie

**2020 OTH Poster of the Year**
Country Flag
Scotland
Barrera vs Morales 2

1. 9-10 Morales. Boxed well on the front foot, pushed Barrera a back scoring well with straight shots

2. 10-10 Had Berrera pushing Morales back and controlling the tempo of the fight but Morales maybe just landed the better shots still. They scored it to Barrera in commentary but I'd like to see Barrera body punching and getting in closer. Morales is the better boxer, I don't think Marco benefits from this style.

3. 9-10 Morales. Boxed well in the opening but became a bit sloppy late on but so did Barrera, quite a few missed in a relatively quiet round.

4. 9-10 Morales. As the commentary said, Barrera dictating the terms here. But I don't think his chosen style plays to his strength or gives him an advantage. Morales enjoying his boxing here

5. 9-10 Morales similar story to the previous rounds, Morales enjoying the range but also that Barrera is conceeding the ground and letting him box on the front foot. Morales mistakes the clapper for the bell and things get wild with 10 left. Tempers flare, could about to warm up

6. 10-9 Barrera. Discipline shown by Morales to get back to boxing after the angry end to round six. But he's just jabbing, sleeping on Barrera at points as he gets caught with counter right hands and hooks. Not much in it but Morales lands a few more but only lands jabs

7. 9-10 Morales. Harsh not to give the KD? Anyway, at this point the commentary say Barrera dictating the terms of the fight, I'd now argue Morales has turned this into a boxing match and Marco not liking it. Like the Pac vs Morales fight, when Barrera attacks, Morales give as good back then returns to the jab

8. 9-10 Morales. Very close round I just preferred Morales boxing, his movement is really good here keeping it at distance that suits him and gets some nice sharp shots and counters off, unlike the 6th where he just tried to coast on the jab

9. 10-9 Barrera. Forcing his will on him now, sometimes craftily timing his way into range, sometimes just barging in there swinging but one way or another he's forcing Morales to fight his pace now. Morales not getting back with flurries now just trying to counter and box his way out.

10. 9-10 morales nice shot selection set up with good head movement. No idea why Barrera never followed up on the pressure of the last round but he let Morales get back to boxing him on the front foot. Lovely confidently boxed round from Eric right to the last bell

11. 9-10 Morales. Very hard round to score, both having brief spells of success right through the round. I'm leaning to Morales but would understand Barrera getting this one

12. 10-9 Barrera. Just like going southpaw against Pacquiao, Morales abandonned the game plan in the 12th and said lets fucking make a show of it. And just like that 12th vs Pac, he gave the last one away. It was him who decided to engage but it played into Barreras hands and let him nick a close but clear, well fought round.

112-117 Morales, could make it closer but Morales won that fight, no doubt for me.
I think it's fair to say both of the first two fights were maybe scored the wrong way. Does two wrongs make a right? No.
Chuck Giampas 116-112 to Barrera is shocking here.

Better than sex, this fight.

Little fucking hard bastard Mexicans just going for it.

This sort of thing is why I love the fight game.

Country Flag
Norway
1. Morales
2. Morales
3. Barrera
4. Morales
5. Barrera
6. Barrera
7. Morales 10-8
8. Barrera
9. Morales
10. Morales
11. Morales
12. Barrera

115-112 Morales, quality fight, probably the lesser of the trilogy but still very good. Defo a KD for Morales in round 7, no idea how the ref missed it. Morales boxes brilliantly here and is the worthy victor but Barrera got the nod, maybes because most thought he edged fight one so evening things up. I think the consensus is the first two fights are the wrong way round for scoring.

Anyway, had this closer than usual but then I had fight one closer than usual as well, really enjoyed it, both were a bit more weary of having all out trades after fight one and who can blame them.

Last edited:
115-113

I can see how this goes to Morales as rounds 8 and 11 were really close. For me it's a tale of two fights with Morales keeping MAB on the back foot until that cut eye and then MAB having much more success down the stretch.

This impresses me more than the frst fight. I don't prefer it but is more impressive. The first fight was a brawl which saw MAB overwhelm Morales. This time the two fighters were much better versions (despite the form of EM going into this fight).

There were some great exchanges and some great boxing at every range. Very nip and tuck throughout and there really wasn't an awful lot to separate them. I do feel MAB nicked it down the stretch and this I probably the best opponent he ever beat in the ring.

Country Flag
Norway
115-113

I can see how this goes to Morales as rounds 8 and 11 were really close. For me it's a tale of two fights with Morales keeping MAB on the back foot until that cut eye and then MAB having much more success down the stretch.

This impresses me more than the frst fight. I don't prefer it but is more impressive. The first fight was a brawl which saw MAB overwhelm Morales. This time the two fighters were much better versions (despite the form of EM going into this fight).

There were some great exchanges and some great boxing at every range. Very nip and tuck throughout and there really wasn't an awful lot to separate them. I do feel MAB nicked it down the stretch and this I probably the best opponent he ever beat in the ring.

Did you think Morales should have had a KD in his favour?

Did you think Morales should have had a KD in his favour?

The body shot? I don't know mate. I could see why it would be given but flash knockdowns to the body aren't a common thing so to me it looked like a slip tbh.

Had it been a 10-8 EM card then he probably takes it.

Great fight. Doesn't seem to get as much acclaim as Fights 1 and 3 but probably as good as any fight in 2002 outside of Gatti-Ward I. Thought this was a close but clear win for Morales similar to the first fight being a close but clear Barrera win.

I actually quite like Merchant but his commentary during this one was so bad. Very clear that anything other than a carbon copy of Fight 1 was always going to be a let-down in his mind.

Country Flag
United States of America
Excellent chess match by two brilliant technicians. As stated already, Morales should have won this, just like Barrera should have won the first and that definitely was a KD on round 7. Sick body shot by Morales that was.